• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N.E.A.K. Gingerbread kernel (v1.x)

This is definitely the best Kernel i've tried yet (although I haven't tried the latest Siyah). Battery life has just been incredible - have had it unplugged since 8am this morning, have transferred some files via wifi, listened to music, used a radio app, been on facebook, sent a few texts and at 2pm now it is at 88% which is far better than I had ever gotten before. Very impressed.

Upvote 0
I have the N.E.A.K. Kernel and it is great, though I have a problem. I am trying to perform a backup through CWM Recovery and it gets stuck on the back up data, in particular when trying to back up "gbserver". Anyone else experienced this issue? The only way round it I have found is to remove my battery, but then I don't have a backup. Any help appreciated.

thanks

Upvote 0
Hmm it's NEAK 1.4x or Siyah 2.6.13 and I can't decide. I've been using RedPill v1.3 for a while and while I like it and have it set for pure performance rather than saving battery I need to change. I use Co-Pilot alot for work and while navigating the phone is always on the van charger. Except while charging it doesn't, in fact it drops. :eek:

So here's an interesting question which of these two kernels are best for battery while at the same time set for maximum performance ? I want my cake and be able to eat it.

Anybody have any idea before I start to test myself ? I'll stick the results in a thread with voltages used etc, but having just got home (I do call) from work it will be a Monday for one and Tuesday for the other test next week. Just so you know, I'm also using CheckROM v6

Upvote 0
Hmm it's NEAK 1.4x or Siyah 2.6.13 and I can't decide. I've been using RedPill v1.3 for a while and while I like it and have it set for pure performance rather than saving battery I need to change. I use Co-Pilot alot for work and while navigating the phone is always on the van charger. Except while charging it doesn't, in fact it drops. :eek:

So here's an interesting question which of these two kernels are best for battery while at the same time set for maximum performance ? I want my cake and be able to eat it.

Anybody have any idea before I start to test myself ? I'll stick the results in a thread with voltages used etc, but having just got home (I do call) from work it will be a Monday for one and Tuesday for the other test next week. Just so you know, I'm also using CheckROM v6

Honestly the only person who will be able to say which one gives you best battery and performance is you. Personally I find siyah to have the best battery but there are many others who find neak to. Its going to have to be a case of trying them both as no kernel will perform exactly the same on 2 different handsets.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
I can confirm that gohanmoral's, "fix", for nandroid backup and restore on the NEAK v1.4, does indeed work.

It is so good to see two such well known kernel, "developers", displaying such, "entente cordiale", and selfless co-operation, for the benefit of the Android community at large.

Thanks to both of you! :)

I feel sure that the, "fixed", version will appear in the NEAK thread, here... possibly tomorrow:-

[KERNEL][29.02.12][APP][OTA] N.E.A.K. Kernel for I9100 - Aren't you amazed? (v1.4x) - xda-developers

EDIT

Ninja'd! :D

Upvote 0
simone told me that he will release an update tomorrow. that is why I deleted the attachments because it would be funny to release someone else's kernel in his thread :D

and actually, the reason that I post the links was that he (simone) didn't want to try the restore because of the risk :p
anyway... it's good to help you neak lovers ;)
although it has just no (and I mean it) new or original code in the kernel source simone spends enough time to put things together and I respect it considering his age.

Upvote 0
Just signed up to say I'd noticed this: xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][XWLA4][FEB 23] CheckROM RevoHD™ V6 | Kitchen Pro v2.4 a Masterpiece again!

Which contains a link to: http://db.tt/JUbtY30r

Which has the fixed/modified NEAK kernal by the wonderful geko. Hope it is OK to post that, but for people who absolutely cannot wait... :p

Which was me today as I wanted to try MIUI with Flex Kernel for a day or two but always find myself back with checkrom and neak + MagicConfig and a lulzactive config (from XDA) as it gives me the best balance of smooth performance, solid battery life and features; So I needed a Nandroid back up of the best (for my phone) before I try the rest.

-Acid

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A little question, what does all this mean?

Modded Recovery with N.E.A.K. Menu:
1) Remove voltage settings (Voltage control)
2) Create EFS Backup (in /sdcard/near)
3) Governors Menu...
- Enable/Disable Conservative Governor
- Enable/Disable Lazy Governor
- Enable/Disable Lionheart Tweaks (only with conservative gov)
- Enable/Disable Lagfree Governor
4) Misc Options Menu...
- Enable/Disable sched_mc power functions (++battery, - performance)
- Enable/Disable AFTR Idle Mode

I know where they are, just not too sure what they are.

Upvote 0
By and large, these options, in the NEAK recovery menu, have been replaced by the Neak Configurator app available, free, from the Play Shop. See here:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wxLDEsImNvbS5uZWFrLk5FQUtfQ29uZmlndXJhdG9yIl0.

By default, the NEAK kernel comes with very few governors and if you wish to enable more, such as Conservative, Lionheart, Lazy or Lagfree, you can do so.

For an explanation of the various governors and schedulers... see here:-

[REF][TWEAKS] Kernel Governors, Modules, I/O Schedulers, CPU Tweaks [Reorganize Feb3] - xda-developers

Sched_mc, ARTR Idle mode and Ext4 Boost Optimisations are all extra optimisations for battery and performance.

For further details on the NEAK kernel and its optimisations, see the NEAK Q&A thread here:-

[REF]N.E.A.K. Kernel for I9100 - Non Dev issues and any questions regarding kernel - xda-developers

Reactions: l14m3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones