• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N.E.A.K. Gingerbread kernel (v1.x)

The other day I wrote a review on the Siyah kernel, 2.6.13, in which I likened the developers of Siyah and NEAK, gokhanmoral and simone, as old lion and young lion... Mufasa and Simba... see here:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...-root/438235-siyah-kernel-26.html#post4063692

In the review, at that time, I felt that Siyah just had the edge over NEAK.

However, with the release of NEAK v1.4.1 that can no longer be said by me.

With this latest release, featuring touch screen Recovery and extra tweaks as well as CWM compatability... there is, IMHO, no longer a gap!

I, for various reasons, needed a phone yesterday that with average usage, for me, would last at least 18 hours and perhaps a bit more. NEAK v1.4.1 did this with battery to spare. Very smooth, even on my settings, and fast.

NEAK v1.4.1

NEAKv141battery1.png

It may be young lion and old lion... but they are evenly matched! ;)

Reactions: Twinn
Upvote 0
NEAK kernel v1.4.2

"CHANGELOG:

- Removed Lagfree governor (update the app, available in a few hours)
- Modded recovery to add Configurator Pro safety options (remove scripts)
- Corrected charging currents (the only ones we can use)
- Some cleanup and small tweaks changes
- Updated Toolchain (Linaro 2012.03)

This is the last GB kernel release
"

Upvote 0
I installed NEAK as per the instructions. Everything went well and it said installed successfully installed. I rebooted and now the phone is completely dead. It wont turn on. The battery wont charge. I tried another battery and its the same. Is there anything I can do to get this phone to work again?

Thanks,
Den

Upvote 0
I installed NEAK as per the instructions. Everything went well and it said installed successfully installed. I rebooted and now the phone is completely dead. It wont turn on. The battery wont charge. I tried another battery and its the same. Is there anything I can do to get this phone to work again?

Thanks,
Den

First port of call is to try a soft and hard reset

If you eventually get it into upload/download mode then it may be worth another flash.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The give away is in the first post of the NEAK thread...

ONLY FOR INTERNATIONAL I9100!!​

The two phones are totally different, see here:-

Samsung Galaxy S II X T989D vs. Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II - GSMArena.com

You will need to flash a stock S2 X kernel to your phone.

The Galaxy S2 X forum is here:-

Samsung Galaxy S2 X - Android Forums

I was looking at the version # and not the model # that's where I made the mistake. Thanks for the info however the second link didn't have any information. Will I be able to flash if the phone isn't even turning on. If so where can I get this program and the proper files. If you know that is. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I was looking at the version # and not the model # that's where I made the mistake. Thanks for the info however the second link didn't have any information. Will I be able to flash if the phone isn't even turning on. If so where can I get this program and the proper files. If you know that is. Thanks again.

Have you got the kernel you rooted your phone with, still on your phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones