• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help N7 (2012) - Suddenly won't boot.

BradTheGeek

Dec 16, 2012
So, I got 2 N7 refurbs (32GB) from woot a week or two ago. One for me, and one for my GF. Both looked pristine and worked fine. After setting them up, a day or two later, I rooted mine and installed the Cyanogenmod 11 nightly (I wanted to try the ART runtime).

It has been working fine for a week or more, so I do not think the cyanogenmod/root is the issue. I used the tab this morning to read some recipes while cooking. Later, it was down to about 30% battery, I plugged it into a phone charger I had near my desk (the higher current nexus charger was in another room). Two to three hours later, I pick it up, and the screen won't cut on.

I have since switched to the original charger, no luck. I have tried booting to the bootloader screen. No luck. Sometimes I can see the backlight flash, and one time it got stuck on (just the backlight), until I pulled the charger. There is no charging indication on the screen with the charger either, just dead except for the sometimes backlight flash when holding the power button.

I am afraid this thing is dead, but ineligible for return since I rooted and ROMed it.

Any advice or CPR tips would be much appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones