• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NEW: Advanced Tagging, Media Gallery, Resource Manager

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    You may have seen that big changes are coming:

Some big updates as we experiment with the path forward:
    • We've installed "Tag Essentials" which we hope can be used to replace our former "Channels" functionality, allowing us to create virtual "forums" around specific phones, devices, and other topics.
    • We've re-installed Media Gallery and Resource Manager. These were used sparingly in previous iterations of AF and we may be starting from scratch here. We'll see.
    If you spot these new features and have suggestions/opinions, please speak up! We've got lots of testing to do and will try to make things perfect with your help.

With the tagging add-on I was able to:
    • Search the forum for "Galaxy S23"
    • Add the "Samsung Galaxy S23" tag to all results
    You can see the new tag page here:

This appears on the way to replacing "Channels" but it'll take a lot of legwork to recreate the Channels as Tags in a meaningful way.

You'll also notice tags listed at the top of threads.

And guess what? CHATGPT is used to help auto-tag your threads with related keywords!

Upvote 0
    OMG the Tag Cloud is really a just a bunch of blasts from the past!
    omg-blast-from-past.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I've just deleted 10k+ tags.

Tags used 1 or less time were deleted. New tags must have 4 or more characters. I'm in the process of building our "Tag Categories" which you can see here:

Notice the "Smartphones" section with "Samsung Galaxy S" variants. Hopefully we'll fill this section up with ALL the smartphones we've ever talked about and can add new/rumored devices as time goes on.

Upvote 0
    Example: Samsung Galaxy S8 Tags (Admin)

galaxy-s8-tags.png

I made "Galaxy S8" a synonym of "Samsung Galaxy S8" so anything tagged "Galaxy S8" automatically becomes "Samsung Galaxy S8"

Should I leave the "Galaxy S8" variants as is or also merge them into "Samsung Galaxy S8"?

It doesn't matter much for the S8 at this point... but picking a general rule of thumb for these different variants would be helpful. I'm inclined to leave them be... (and hope they're also tagged with the main device?)?

Reactions: Dannydet
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones