• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VOTE: AndroidForums.com Name Change!

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    Android Forums is transitioning to The Daily Net!

It's primarily a name change- all of the site's conversations will be preserved on the new domain. However, we'll need to move the community to a subdomain or directory (ex: daily.net/forum or forum.daily.net).

State your case for your favorite! Feel free to suggest your own ideas.

My personal favorite right now (it keeps changing):

The main site would be housed at The Daily Net - Breaking News but then you can join "the" club at https://the.daily.net where all the forum content is found. So, for example, the URL to this thread would become:

Last edited:
    Reactions: ocnbrze
    "Forum" is the way to go. "Community" could mean a neighborhood, a church, an ethnic group, etc. "Forum" is the proper term for what this site is. I found this site by searching for "Android forum". If folks are looking for a forum, don't expect them to type "community" into a search-engine! And if this site is titled "community" instead of "form", don't expect a search-engine to show this site when someone searches for a forum.

Upvote 0
    "Forum" is the way to go. "Community" could mean a neighborhood, a church, an ethnic group, etc. "Forum" is the proper term for what this site is. I found this site by searching for "Android forum". If folks are looking for a forum, don't expect them to type "community" into a search-engine! And if this site is titled "community" instead of "form", don't expect a search-engine to show this site when someone searches for a forum.
    Seems to me that a large majority of the recent threads and posts here are NOT actually on the subject of Android, and are about dogs, cats, baseball, basketball, e-bikes, drink, food, money, tipping, music, movies, games, weather, jokes, etc. etc. AF seems much more of a general forum these days, rather than focussed on a core subject.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    @ Clementine_3 :

I have worked with Corporation agents and Administration agents long enough to know that once an idea is presented and backed by such, it will not be stopped until the implementation and subsequent success or failure of the project produces results.

You might as well embrace it and don't be a, "I tole yu so" if it fails.

Upvote 0
    it will not be stopped until the implementation and subsequent success or failure
    I agree- "the move" is inevitable at this point. I'll take the blame for that. Will is succeed? Will it fail? I don't know... but let's have fun finding out.

"Forum" is the way to go.

I agree with you, and from a historical perspective, the word forum is pretty darn cool and fits our needs. But unfortunately, Xenforo uses a "forum" directory to delineate each individual forum. So for example, the "Android Forum" on Daily.net would be at:

It may seem like a minor cosmetic flaw, but it would drive me nuts.

It will be fun to use AF member feedback to fuel articles, kind of like we used to do with AF/Phandroid back in the day:

Upvote 0
    I'd scrub Tech Daily :

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-25-17-03-16-502_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
      Screenshot_2023-07-25-17-03-16-502_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
      191.5 KB · Views: 42
    Reactions: PitCarver
    Upvote 0
    If it has to have daily in the URl I like dailytech.net.
    Grabbed from the net:
    What happened to Dailytech?

As of early December 2015 the website appeared to be inactive, although there was no notice of a change in status. Activity resumed in 2016, but as of May 2021, the web site is no longer available; archives show the last posted article was in late 2017.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    If it has to have daily in the URl
    Doesn't 100% have to include "Daily" but I'm about 90%

It also doesn't 100% need WordPress. It could be a name change only and daily.net would remain 100% Xenforo forums like AF is now. But I don't see that panning out well in the long run.

Since Mark Zuckerberg announced "threads" at the domain threads.net, I've been feeling more "all-in" on the daily.net name, but I'd still consider other names. EarlyBird.Club was previously shot down but I still like it... Parody the Twitter blue bird logo, use the tagline #CoolNewShit, and go back to focusing on the hype and fun of upcoming products (of all kinds).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones