• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Android user.... need to stream music files

AGizzle

Lurker
Sep 15, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new android user and I'm having some problems.... Hopefully someone can help.

I have an Epic 4G through Sprint.

Ok, I am a DJ and I like to listen to other DJ's mixes that are hosted online. I guess they are kinda like podcasts but only audio. An example is a site called PodOMatic. Another is called Soundcloud and another is Mixcrate.com.

If I follow a DJ's link to their upload on my PC, I can listen to the full mix. Sometimes I will even download the mix and listen to the mp3 file on a mp3 player or something.

Now, If I follow a link on my phone, I can not listen. The player (java? flash?) will not even show. Soundcloud is the only site that seems to work, but I only get to listen to a couple minutes of the song.

Is there a way to stream these types of files through my phone? Can I download the files to my phone, then listen later? Surely there is an app for this???

Thanks,
Austin from Cincinnati

kinda had the same situation i needed to stream my school lectures through tegrity which didn't work on my phone so if you can download it to an mp3 format you can either click and drag it into the mp3 folder on your sd card or you can get an app called doubleTwist and it actually links your android phone to itunes and helps load it that way, haven't tried it this way myself but i've heard through friends that it works very well. So far now I'm just downloading them as an mp3 and just dropping them into the music folder on my sd card.
hope this helps

Upvote 0
Thanks... But I'm not sure about this. I was reading up on it and apparently the android 2.2 update will have a flash player?? Does my epic have 2.1 or 2.2? Is 2.2 out yet?

I should be able to stream the music through my phone.. Can someone go to mixcrate.com and check it out? Here's a link:

20/20 Heartbeats Per Minute: A Teenage Love by DJ Jon Zamora - DJ Mixtape and Mixset - Mixcrate

Shouldn't I be able to go to the site and listen without downloading? If I can stream Youtube vids with blazing speed, surely I can stream music???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones