• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New LCARS boot animation

I am going to try making this work. I am running PG's cm7. Will this have any extra steps to make the sound work as there is already sound playing. I am a noob at changing something such as this. Thanks.

I am running cm7, and it worked. Yes there is extra steps to get the sound to work but the txt file in the sound zip tells you where to put every thing :) Let me know how it turns out!

Upvote 0
WOW. That's really cool. I'm not much into Star Trek, but I may just get this just to make my Trekkie friend jealous... Lol.

Are there more boot animations like this that can be found? I'm really curious now.

Yes there are a lot out there most dealing with rom logos and obscure art. That is why I made this one. There were trek ones out there, just none that made me stare at them blankly and drool :) Its not that hard to make then either, I used photoshop to size the pics, then saved them for web (so you get the smallest file size) and numbered them in order. Ok so I'm making it sound too easy, true but that was the steps. Overall time on this project was about 3 days, learning curve and fixes for mess ups included. My biggest tip where I kept messing up at is the smoother the animation you want the more pngs you need.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I am running cm7, and it worked. Yes there is extra steps to get the sound to work but the txt file in the sound zip tells you where to put every thing :) Let me know how it turns out!
actually not that much as my roms have bootsound already ;). Just need to make the sound file used a mp3 and name it android_audio.mp3 and put it in the system/media/audio/ui dir

Upvote 0
Thanks for the LCARS files masterchief, after steering me in the right direction I had to figure something out myself:
After I upgraded to 2.2 (Ascend Metro PCS) the "bootanimation.zip" needs to go into the following location, I used root explorer.
cust/metropcs/us/media
I converted the mp3 to ogg using VLC media player and simply dropped it here:
/system/media/audio/ui
Now I have a cool startup sequence, thanks 2 U.

Reactions: masterchief.
Upvote 0
Thanks for the LCARS files masterchief, after steering me in the right direction I had to figure something out myself:
After I upgraded to 2.2 (Ascend Metro PCS) the "bootanimation.zip" needs to go into the following location, I used root explorer.
cust/metropcs/us/media
I converted the mp3 to ogg using VLC media player and simply dropped it here:
/system/media/audio/ui
Now I have a cool startup sequence thanks 2 U.

Awesome job and thanks for the info. Would I be able to add your info(and proper credit) and work up top so that others may find it? I must admit that I have moved on to the HTC Evo after hitting the physical limitation of the phone, but have kept monitoring this forum just cause of time and passion involved :) let me know

Masterchief

Upvote 0
Awesome job and thanks for the info. Would I be able to add your info(and proper credit) and work up top so that others may find it? I must admit that I have moved on to the HTC Evo after hitting the physical limitation of the phone, but have kept monitoring this forum just cause of time and passion involved :) let me know

Masterchief

Sure, no prob. I'm going to upgrade next month too. Do you have metro PCS? I need recommendations on a new phone, I'll see if they carry the HTC Evo. This Ascend has exceed my expectations ( I thought it would break after a few months ) however is is well built.

Upvote 0
Sure, no prob. I'm going to upgrade next month too. Do you have metro PCS? I need recommendations on a new phone, I'll see if they carry the HTC Evo. This Ascend has exceed my expectations ( I thought it would break after a few months ) however is is well built.

Awesome! I'll add it later today. I used to have cricket, but since they don't carry the evo we went with sprint. After some researching I decided on the evo and my wife went with the epic cause of the qwerty (and I think the salesman got in her head a bit about how so much better this phone was over the evo. Now she is wishing she went with the evo lol).

Personally this phone rocks! Went once again with CM7.1 rc1 (plenty of options out there, unlike the epics rom list), tiamat sbc kernal, and setcpu to setup power profiles so the battery will last forever, and launcherpro instead of adw since it seems to run smoother and I personally like the mods on it better. Got Tango so I can use the video phone (thats right, MY Farnsworth!), GPS works great (after a patch lmao), and once again there is another great community around this device. Games rock, streaming movies are awesome, BT and wifi work great, and hell this thing is big enough to be used as a cudgel if you have to fight someone and can't get a signal :D It has an HDMI port but I haven't had the time nor the desire to hook this thing up to my system at home.

Choosing a phone is like choosing a rom, it depends on what you are looking for to make you happy and YMMV from mine. Some people like the sense roms, IMs, etc, and of course the "oh lets make it pretty, and pop" peeps, meh yes or no, no biggie for me. My phone has to run what i'm into at the moment, have all the option available to me (curses! That damned tinkerer's gene strikes again), and have a nice following cause you can't have all the cool crap with a phone that no one else uses.

Grab some flyers and surf the net for the latest, see what options you like, and come check the forums for the 411 on the phone(s) you're thinking about. Trust me its easier than it sounds. Within a week I was down to the Evo, Incredible, and another. After checking the forums here, the Incredible was out for me and the other didn't support sufficent SD storage. Try this out and you'll find that perfect phone in no time.

cheers!

Upvote 0
Masterchief.

This is truly a piece of art. I only have 1 thing I have to complain about...

It's too small for my Droid x!! :(

What are the chances of getting a version that is 480 x 854?

I tried to resize it myself, but now I just get the black screen while it is supposed to run. Or is there something I can do that I missed when recreating the zip file with the resized images?

I beg of your help Masterchief. Pwease?

Upvote 0
Masterchief.

This is truly a piece of art. I only have 1 thing I have to complain about...

It's too small for my Droid x!! :(

What are the chances of getting a version that is 480 x 854?

I tried to resize it myself, but now I just get the black screen while it is supposed to run. Or is there something I can do that I missed when recreating the zip file with the resized images?

I beg of your help Masterchief. Pwease?

Double click the original zip file, inside will be a desc "notepad" file. copy it and open up the note pad on your computer and paste it and change320 480 to 480 845 then save it as "desc" and then drag it and drop it on the zip and it will replace the original

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones