• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Maxx User

heebs79

Jun 21, 2011
Hi, just bought a Droid Maxx off eBay. My Verizon Note 3 was just not cutting it in the signal department. Enough so that I had to sell it to fund the Maxx purchase. Luckily the talk of good Motorola radios continues to be true and I get a signal in places my Note 3 could only dream of. Other than the poor signal the Note 3 was awesome. My phone came updated to 4.4 so I have a few quick questions. Any way to obtain root on 4.4, sounds like the codes for bootloader unlock are now only for 2014 models? I have never even rooted but would like to be able to Wifi tether. Right now Foxfi only has USB tether and bluetooth tether for 4.4
Anybody working on obtaining root for users like myself running 4.4? Will the Maxx development go away anytime soon?
Im loving the Maxx so far, great signal, snappy, great stockish kitkat experience, etc. Missing the larger screen of the Note 3 but I might just have to get a small tablet for media use. Hopefully Motorola under Lenovo continues with the awesome radios and continues with the Maxx sized batteries in the future. I wouldn't mind a Motorola phablet in the near future =), I know one has been rumored.

I'll start this by saying that I have not rooted the Maxx, and will not root mine. However, I believe that the phone is rootable with 4.4 at the moment, even on a normal, bootloader-locked phone. See [Root 4.4.X] Pie for Motorola devices - Page 2 - xda-developers

However, also be aware of what is mentioned in this post: Droid Maxx ear piece stopped working - Post #1 - XDA

On a side note if your on Verizon and are rooted do not call in for tech support until you un root they can now send a report to your phone and get all that info which instantly takes it off of warranty, learn from my mistake. This is new I've called in and had rooted devices warranty replaced I would just flash them back before sending them in but I can'e do that now... I would do a full RSD LITE wipe before calling,

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones