• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Phone Shopping List

StJason

Jan 6, 2012
My contract comes up for renewal next week, and as a old-school Gz'One fan (I miss my Type-S...) I'm probably going to be getting the new phone.

Looking at the specs, it, like the old one, needs some stuff to make it really good.
#1. Better battery. This one, in fact:
Set Your Location
...even this isn't great. If they can put a 3,300 mAh in a dinky little Razr Maxx HD, why can't they take that same wafer-thin battery and put it in a Gz'One? *grumble*... Still, 2920 is better then the puzzlingly weak 1800 stock.
#2. More memory.
Still only takes microSD cards, so that means 32gb max. :( I can't find what card it comes stock with, but am willing to bet it won't be a 32. I might just use my old card from my current Commando, but I have a hunch that some of the issues I keep getting might be related to the cheap, no-name card I have. I'm thinking of getting one of these:
Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A) : Micro Sd Card : Electronics
Better suggestions?

...$75 extra for this one phone... *grumble* WTF Verizon?

Anything else I might want to get? Or a better product?

The extended battery is necessary. Think of it this way you can buy a 200-300 dollar phone or buy this one and get the battery, dock and card and pay close to the same and have a phone that won't die the first time it rains.

It doesn't come with a memory card. I used my old one until my new one arrived from Amazon. I bought the one you are looking at, it works well. Do remember this phone runs ICS. That means it doesn't run apps from the card, but you can store music, photos, books etc.

My contract comes up for renewal next week, and as a old-school Gz'One fan (I miss my Type-S...) I'm probably going to be getting the new phone.

Looking at the specs, it, like the old one, needs some stuff to make it really good.
#1. Better battery. This one, in fact:
Set Your Location
...even this isn't great. If they can put a 3,300 mAh in a dinky little Razr Maxx HD, why can't they take that same wafer-thin battery and put it in a Gz'One? *grumble*... Still, 2920 is better then the puzzlingly weak 1800 stock.

#2. More memory.
Still only takes microSD cards, so that means 32gb max. :( I can't find what card it comes stock with, but am willing to bet it won't be a 32. I might just use my old card from my current Commando, but I have a hunch that some of the issues I keep getting might be related to the cheap, no-name card I have. I'm thinking of getting one of these:
Amazon.com : SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A) : Micro Sd Card : Electronics
Better suggestions?

...$75 extra for this one phone... *grumble* WTF Verizon?

Anything else I might want to get? Or a better product?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones