• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New phone what dat

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
I've been trying to help my friend set up a TCL A508DL bought from Target. Mostly it's going ok but with a few hitches. One of the biggest is no Nook. I'm not suggesting that it should come installed but it would be a timesaver. The apk has been installed (or at least downloaded) time after time but for some reason it will not install. There is at least one from APKPure, which I thought was trustworthy. It said to download it in order to install an apk or xapk file. Pretty soon even googoo was warning about its harmfulness and I noticed numerous games that had not been there before and I uninstalled them. Pandora is staying for the moment, though. Yes, we tried the official route and went with googoo, which claimed it was already there. I think it might have phones confused. How the @#$ do we get Nook on this device? Since it has 32 gb, space shouldn't be a problem. The (potential) sd card can go up to 512 gb. Apparently this is a dratted sealed phone because I see an otherwise anomalous teeny hole on the left side. What is the point of sealing them? It doesn't make them waterproof, just more difficult. Overall I guess it's not such a bad phone for under a hundred bucks.

TCL are selling their own brand phones in America now are they? Previously they only supplied carriers' house brand phones AFAIK.

As for the Nook etc. problem, is the phone going "App not installed" or something? If so check that the APK you downloaded is actually compatible with this particular phone, or not hacked, or not corrupted etc.

Upvote 0
How do I check that? I set up developer options but cannot find allow unknown sources or anything to that effect. Actually it was a real hassle to find downloads, which are hidden in files. Depending on the version of Nook, it says "can't open" or, with a little more work, "app not installed". Is there some way to force installation? I obviously don't want to mess up anyone's brand new phone, but Nook is a semimust. (Real books are still better.) I also found something interesting in d options, and switched it on for both the TCL and my A20S, but it seems not to be helping with the Samsung. It says Force allow apps on external, which I take to mean sd card. If that's what it is, it doesn't work. I tried to move some apps to sd with the A20S, only to find cancel the only possibility. Move here was too faint and might not have meant sd anyway. BTW, the TCL is from something called Total Wireless and was purchased in store, whereas the A20S was bought online instead (also Target).

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
How do I check that? I set up developer options but cannot find allow unknown sources or anything to that effect. Actually it was a real hassle to find downloads, which are hidden in files. Depending on the version of Nook, it says "can't open" or, with a little more work, "app not installed". Is there some way to force installation?

Yeh, that sounds very much like the APK is either incompatible or corrupted. And there is no way to force something that's broken.

Upvote 0
Now the TCL is on red and apparently not charging. I had some problems, I guess with the old wall wart, and I ended up with a weird round one that has foldup prongs. It seems to work ok with the Moto G, but not this TCL. What should I do, if anything, to fix it? Patience is wearing thin...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones