• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 10 Stuck in Bootloop, Please Help!

geli7

Dec 20, 2009
Hello all,

Any help with this would be seriously appreciated. I rooted my Nexus 10 a while back, maybe two years ago. Haven't made any rom changes since. Anyhow I decided to do the OTA upgrade to 5.0...I was concerned something would go wrong unless I went to stock first, but I read that the only thing that would happen is root would be removed.

Anyhow, the tablet appears stuck while booting. I see the Google screen first with the unlocked indicator on the bottom. A few seconds later is the Android logo on its back, a red triangle over it with an exclamation point and "no command" written below". It stays that way for a minute or so, tries to reboot and goes back to the no command screen. I can't even power off, when I try to do so it just powers back on by itself and ends up at the no command screen again.

I tried booting into recovery (power and volume up). It goes to a screen that shows the Android logo on its back again, but this time is says "Downloading...". Underneath that it says "Do not turn off target!" From this page I can see device information,but I have no ability to do anything at all. All I can do is manually hold down the power button.

Any help at all would be appreciated. As you can probably tell I don't have much experience with this and just wanted to go back to unrooted stock.

Thanks!

I ask as he needs to get to the boot loader and for now it seems to go to recovery either with the error or the eternal downloading sign. to get to boot loader I found powering up then pressing volume up and down worked. This allowed me to get it back with a full flash from TWRP loaded from nexus root kit.

Edit; I saved in by reflashing CM11.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. I did not flash the OTA. For months I'd been seeing the notification that an OTA was ready for download, which I ignored. Finally I decided I wanted to upgrade. I read on one of the forums that upgrading via the OTA while rooted would result in losing root but no issues. I was OK with that. I downloaded and installed 4.4.2, then 4.4.3, then 4.4.4, then 5.0. They all worked up until 5.0.

The bootloader is still unlocked. At least I think it is. The first screen on power up is the Google screen, and at the bottom you can see the unlocked padlock.

Also, I was able to get into the bootloader by pressing power and both volumes together. From there my options such are power off, recovery mide, start and restart bootloader. Every option I try leads to the no command screen (other than power off).

At this point if be fine with losing all the data if I could get the thing working. If it sounds like flashing the factory image is the way to go, can you please provide instructions or a link?

Thank you all for the responses, it's very appreciated.

Upvote 0
Right, I was getting to the android recovery and no command. Download the nexus root toolkit for a pc, once installed get to the bootloader and plug it in, go to advanced and use it to get to recovery. you should be ok from there once you decide what to do, it could just be as simple as a FDR.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right, I was getting to the android recovery and no command. Download the nexus root toolkit for a pc, once installed get to the bootloader and plug it in, go to advanced and use it to get to recovery. you should be ok from there once you decide what to do, it could just be as simple as a FDR.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones