• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 stuck in bootloop, can't reflash factory image =(

davidwanj

Lurker
Jun 8, 2014
can anyone please help me on this? I've spend the last 2 days trying to figure this issue out, my nexus 7 decided to die all the sudden one day while I was using gmail....the next thing I knew....it is stuck in bootloop

I can go to bootloader screen no problem, but everytime erase data from fastboot, I get failed <command wtirte failed <No such device or address>>

I tried using fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip in attempt to wipe everything, but I get the following

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Erease successful, but not automatically formatting.
can't determind partition type.
Failed <command write failed <no such device or address>>
can't determind partition type.
Failed <command write failed <no such device or address>>

I also tried doing fastboot oem unlock in hope to try different image, but the tablet would freeze everything I select the word "Yes, unlock bootloader (may void warranty) as well as my command promt

any help or suggestion please :(

thanks for the reply....I tried using fastboot -w update image-razor-ktu84l.zip, I'm getting the following error....failed <remote: bootloader is locked.> as shown in the image

I don't know how I can unlcok my bootloader....everytime I tries to run fastboot oem unlock and click yes....the tablet would freeze and my command prompt would show "erasing userdata..."

EARAmBU.jpg

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I can't unlock the bootloader. It hangs at"(bootloader) erasing userdata..." Wipe cache/data and factory reset in recovery mode also fails.

I get this in recovery mode...
E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Failed closing /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (I/O error)

Bill

Upvote 0
I am experiencing an issue where my Nexus 7 turns on but sits at the Google logo forever, I can however access fastboot. Though when I try to boot into recovery mode it again sits at the Google logo. The tablet is running completely stock 4.4.3, is not rooted, and unfortunately I did not enable usb debugging previously.

I have tried to use Wug's Toolkit to flash stock back onto the device however it ran through and it failed, so I tried to enable "Force Flash" and now it sits at erasing 'cache' ...

I have also tried to unlock the bootloader, despite not having USB debugging and it seems to start but freezes at the erasing userdata line, like the user that started the thread.

Sorry for the lack of detail in the last post I was just wondering if anyone had gotten something to work for this particular issue.

Upvote 0
hello there
i have a nexus 7 2013
32 g
stock 4.4.4
no root no nothing
i was using it and it froze on me
so i turn off the device
then when i turn it on i got stuck on google logo
tried every thing and as of the time of writing this post
the cmd freaze when i type "fastboot erase anything"
recovery mode freeze on google logo
unable to flash using nexus root toolkit
unable to use the command
fastboot oem unlock
got stuck on erasing user file
it's been a month since my nexus got soft bricked
and it's been a week since i put serious effort and time
and still no solution not here not on any other website
i will let u know if anything new occurs
regards

Upvote 0
I called Google Nexus support and after trying the typical reset/reboot strategies, he suggested talking to Asus.

After spending 45 minutes with them trying every option again, I got a RMA #. I'm pissed because its out of warranty by two months. Repair costs could be up to $200 (plus shipping), which is just shy of a new 32 GB Nexus 7 2013 ($230).

The rep said it could be the motherboard, which makes sense to me because my audio went out before getting stuck in this loop.

Sadly this inability to erase/reset seems to point to a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
I called Google Nexus support and after trying the typical reset/reboot strategies, he suggested talking to Asus.

After spending 45 minutes with them trying every option again, I got a RMA #. I'm pissed because its out of warranty by two months. Repair costs could be up to $200 (plus shipping), which is just shy of a new 32 GB Nexus 7 2013 ($230).

The rep said it could be the motherboard, which makes sense to me because my audio went out before getting stuck in this loop.

Sadly this inability to erase/reset seems to point to a hardware issue.

Did you send yours in? If so, did they confirm it was a motherboard?

Reading through this thread was like looking in the mirror. I was experiencing the EXACT same issue, and got to the exact same point. I've contacted ASUS 3 times, and get the same thing. My Nexus is 20 days out of warranty, and they won't budge.

Upvote 0
I did send it in. I never heard from them on the diagnosis. I was getting annoyed that they had my Nexus 7 for over a week, but just as I was about to call to find out what was going on, I received my Nexus 7 back in working condition.

I know its the same from the SN.

I got lucky because mine was 2 months out of the 1 year warranty, but whatever they did to fix it must have been simple or cheap because I never had to pay for it, just the shipping to them (could have been an error on their part, but I'm not going to call and find out).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones