• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 stuck in bootloop, can't reflash factory image =(

Mine is doing the same thing. Warranty expired in August. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to have them fix it, or get a new tablet. Free would be worth it!

Depends on the cost of repairs, you can get refurbished n7 2013 on eBay for like $159. Sometimes less if you check on the right day. Manufacturer refurbished with Asus warranty!

Upvote 0
Well, I'll be darned! So, I sent my Nexus into ASUS about a week and a half ago. I too, never received a call about charges. I kept logging in and checking the RMA #, and one day it said repair complete. This was a couple of days ago, but I just got an email asking me to fill out a customer service survey for my unit that was recently repaired. I'm not out of the woods yet because it hasn't arrived, but it looks like they repaired it at no cast as well. :D:D

Upvote 0
Well, I'll be darned! So, I sent my Nexus into ASUS about a week and a half ago. I too, never received a call about charges. I kept logging in and checking the RMA #, and one day it said repair complete. This was a couple of days ago, but I just got an email asking me to fill out a customer service survey for my unit that was recently repaired. I'm not out of the woods yet because it hasn't arrived, but it looks like they repaired it at no cast as well. :D:D

Good to hear someone else got a free repair.:D

Upvote 0
Same symptoms, same deal, I think. This happened to me in May 2014, I sent it in, they did whatever, sent back the same unit (same S/N). It's happened again, though, so that kind of sucks. I just found my receipt - I bought it August 2, 2013, so it's also out of warranty by about 3 months. I have to send it back to pay up to about $100 for repairs (plus shipping which was about $20 back in May, though I may have paid for expedited shipping to the RMA site).

A "new" one (which you can't get from the Play store anymore) is about $230 from Amazon (still available, even today). I don't know if I want to send it back for repairs, or just buy another one. Probably will do both.

Upvote 0
Same symptoms, same deal, I think. This happened to me in May 2014, I sent it in, they did whatever, sent back the same unit (same S/N). It's happened again, though, so that kind of sucks. I just found my receipt - I bought it August 2, 2013, so it's also out of warranty by about 3 months. I have to send it back to pay up to about $100 for repairs (plus shipping which was about $20 back in May, though I may have paid for expedited shipping to the RMA site).

A "new" one (which you can't get from the Play store anymore) is about $230 from Amazon (still available, even today). I don't know if I want to send it back for repairs, or just buy another one. Probably will do both.

You can get one, Asus factory refurbished for $149 on eBay. I bought another 1! http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=311079241454&alt=web
:cool:

Upvote 0
Confirmed...got mine back today from ASUS, no charge. I'd take my chances sending it in. Worst case is you're out a few bucks to ship it out there. If they call and say it will cost $ to fix, you can always say no. I talked to 4 different support reps before actually sending it in. All 4 said I would be charged, but I wasn't.

Upvote 0
I too am having the same issues, however I can't even boot into recovery mode, it boots the Google logo and sits there forever.

Has anyone figured anything out? :/

Hello. I'm having the exact issue represented here. If I try to use recovery mode, it goes to the screen just saying Google in white. If i select start, same thing. Restarting bootmode works fine, as does power off. My tablet is not rooted, nor have I done anything else to it. If someone could walk me through a troubleshoot session that'd be lovely.

Upvote 0
I am no techie whiz. My nexus 7 2012 model started boot looping a few weeks ago. I had no data on it that I needed to save - wanted yes but nothing critical. So I have found do not let the battery get less than 60%. If I do then it struggles and goes into boot loop. Which then requires full charge then hold the power button and volume button down simultaneously, then the android picture would come up with start, recovery mode, safe mode, power off. Opted for safe mode and despite the nexus struggling a few minutes would boot. As a novice I now operate on the device and leave it on, all the time, remembering tho charge it up before half empty. This may not be the best, but for me in my lack of techie knowledge it means my tablet lasts a bit longer and operates fine. Will say I deleted any energy sapping apps I didn't need so now my nexus can survive on 15 or so hours before charging. Any other ideas welcome but at the moment this keeps my device going. I keep trying!!!

Upvote 0
This thread describes my same issues. It happened 4 days ago, and I've spent the past four days trying to find a solution. I'd never rooted my device or done anything other than download apps. I feel I've learned a tonne the past 4 days about Android and Bootloader. But being unable to unlock the device meant I was stuck.
I purchased my device Sep 26, 2013 from Google Play. This issue happened Dec 24. I called Google tonight and they told me warranty expired Sep 30, 2014. Thought I'd give ASUS a try. They told me they extend the warranty by 3 months (so till the end of Dec). I'm now feeling very happy. I've submitted my RMA request, and hoping to have necessary info tomorrow to return to ASUS. I'll update with the outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
As hopped, I got an RMA number yesterday (I got an email rejecting, so I called back and they said the serial number I gave while valid wasn't accepted by the system. The serial number that I get while in Bootloader was not the longer version they wanted, but the guy was able to finder the longer one from the one I gave him from Bootloader). This generated the RMA number and I sent it off today. I was told it would be about 7 days not including transit time.
Here's hoping....

Reactions: Madbat
Upvote 0
So no go. Got the following from the service center:

"We would go by the purchase receipt date or the unit’s manufacture warranty date plus 3 months shelf life. The unit’s manufacture warranty date is July so you won’t be covered even you add the 3 months shelf life."

Cost is $271 to replace motherboard so I'm just having them ship it back to me unrepaired. I;ve got a 2nd one of them so I may be able to use for parts if something goes on the other one.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

My Nexus 7 is bricked -- exact same problem that many of you have had. I can get it into the Boot Loader o.k., but when I try to go from there into Recovery Mode it hangs on the Google logo -- the screen with the triangle and exclamation point never comes up. I've seen others with this problem in the forums and followed the various proposed solutions, all to no avail.

I ran into this same situation about two weeks ago, with similar frustrations. At one point, after I had just tried connecting the USB cable for the first time when clicking on the "Recovery mode" option in the Boot Loader (I had just read that suggestion on the web), it suddenly worked -- my N7 came up fine and I was home-free. I assumed that making sure the USB cable was connected was the missing secret step.

Everything was great until today, when suddenly it was bricked again (I didn't do anything unusual within the last few days so I have no idea what triggered the problem). Unfortunately, this time around nothing I do works. In desperation, per another posting, I even tried all kinds of different timings connecting the USB cable (i.e., I physically connected the cable at different points in time after clicking on the power button for the "Recovery mode" arrow) -- each time, I simply got the Google logo (which I would let sit for five or 10 minutes -- it never went away).

The device was rooted a while back but I've done a 100% reinstallation of everything using fastboot, including clearing all data and cache so I don't think that's a factor anymore. Since connecting the USB cable *did* seem to work for me previously, I suspect the answer may be in that area, but for the life of me I can't get it to work again.

o Related postings:
o http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/195034-nexus-7-hard-reset.htm
o http://www.androidcentral.com/android-forums-nexus-7-hard-reset-questions
o http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/194769-can-t-get-into-recovery-mode.html

o Fastboot reinstallation instructions I followed:
o http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-hard-reset-a-bricked-nexus-7-with-your-pc

Information from my Boot Loader screen:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - deb
VARIANT - deb 32G
HW VERSION - rev_e
BOOTLOADER VERSION - FLO-04.02
BASEBAND VERSION - DEB-Z00_2.42.0_1204
CARRER INFO - None
SERIAL NUMBER - 08ad6644
SIGNING - yes
SECURE BOOT - enabled
LOCK STATE - locked

From the various other postings, it looks like returning it for repairs is the only option (and hoping that I don't get charged). What I find very, very strange is that I seemed to have lucked out the first time I ran into this, when it suddenly started working; I have no idea what was different between then and now.

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions/updates I would *really* appreciate it :).

Barry

Upvote 0
Hi All,

My Nexus 7 is bricked -- exact same problem that many of you have had. I can get it into the Boot Loader o.k., but when I try to go from there into Recovery Mode it hangs on the Google logo -- the screen with the triangle and exclamation point never comes up. I've seen others with this problem in the forums and followed the various proposed solutions, all to no avail.

I ran into this same situation about two weeks ago, with similar frustrations. At one point, after I had just tried connecting the USB cable for the first time when clicking on the "Recovery mode" option in the Boot Loader (I had just read that suggestion on the web), it suddenly worked -- my N7 came up fine and I was home-free. I assumed that making sure the USB cable was connected was the missing secret step.

Everything was great until today, when suddenly it was bricked again (I didn't do anything unusual within the last few days so I have no idea what triggered the problem). Unfortunately, this time around nothing I do works. In desperation, per another posting, I even tried all kinds of different timings connecting the USB cable (i.e., I physically connected the cable at different points in time after clicking on the power button for the "Recovery mode" arrow) -- each time, I simply got the Google logo (which I would let sit for five or 10 minutes -- it never went away).

The device was rooted a while back but I've done a 100% reinstallation of everything using fastboot, including clearing all data and cache so I don't think that's a factor anymore. Since connecting the USB cable *did* seem to work for me previously, I suspect the answer may be in that area, but for the life of me I can't get it to work again.

o Related postings:
o http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/195034-nexus-7-hard-reset.htm
o http://www.androidcentral.com/android-forums-nexus-7-hard-reset-questions
o http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/194769-can-t-get-into-recovery-mode.html

o Fastboot reinstallation instructions I followed:
o http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-hard-reset-a-bricked-nexus-7-with-your-pc

Information from my Boot Loader screen:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - deb
VARIANT - deb 32G
HW VERSION - rev_e
BOOTLOADER VERSION - FLO-04.02
BASEBAND VERSION - DEB-Z00_2.42.0_1204
CARRER INFO - None
SERIAL NUMBER - 08ad6644
SIGNING - yes
SECURE BOOT - enabled
LOCK STATE - locked

From the various other postings, it looks like returning it for repairs is the only option (and hoping that I don't get charged). What I find very, very strange is that I seemed to have lucked out the first time I ran into this, when it suddenly started working; I have no idea what was different between then and now.

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions/updates I would *really* appreciate it :).

Barry

Update: problem FIXED!
I received helped from Hikari on Android Authority forums. It turned out that I had a mild (but blocking) hardware problem. I removed the back of the Nexus 7 and pressed down on all connections, including a both ends of a metal "tape" that were peeling up from their contacts. After doing that I was able to once again get to the Recovery mode screen from the boot loader.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
Wow! My problem was fixed by this too! I had a problem at step 9 of this but opening the back of the Nexus 7 (2012), pressing down on a few things (nothing obvious was loose), and closing the back up again caused step 9 (and the rest) to work! I now have a fully functioning tablet again. :) Thanks, barry.holroyd and Hikari, whoever you are!

Incidentally, Google support were worse than useless when I called them.

Upvote 0
Wow! My problem was fixed by this too! I had a problem at step 9 of this but opening the back of the Nexus 7 (2012), pressing down on a few things (nothing obvious was loose), and closing the back up again caused step 9 (and the rest) to work! I now have a fully functioning tablet again. :) Thanks, barry.holroyd and Hikari, whoever you are!

Incidentally, Google support were worse than useless when I called them.
Hey guys,
I have been searching for the solutions since long time.

I tried yours too.
-opened the back
- press down on joints

But still I cannot get pass the unlock bootloader error.

Can you help me with your solution?
Thanks in Advance.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Upvote 0
this is what happen when I try to do fastboot oem unlock and clicked yes

ILurWVg.jpg
Hi did you ever come up with a fix for this? I have the exact same symptoms. Very frustrating. Thanks

Upvote 0
Update: problem FIXED!
I received helped from Hikari on Android Authority forums. It turned out that I had a mild (but blocking) hardware problem. I removed the back of the Nexus 7 and pressed down on all connections, including a both ends of a metal "tape" that were peeling up from their contacts. After doing that I was able to once again get to the Recovery mode screen from the boot loader.

Hello,

Sorry but where do you press ??? if you have a picture
Because i don't understand.

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones