• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nexus 7 won't update to 4.3 :(

The flash to 4.3 worked, and as soon as I brought it up, it started pulling down the 4.4.2 update!! Once all the downloading and installing finished, its up to 4.4.2!!! I really can't explain how much I appreciate how much you guys helped me. You guys freakin' rock! I'm comfortable with most things dealing with computers, but when it comes to updating and flashing devices, I always get super apprehensive that I'm going to break the whole thing.

:D:D:DTHANK YOU:D:D:D

Upvote 0
The flash to 4.3 worked, and as soon as I brought it up, it started pulling down the 4.4.2 update!! Once all the downloading and installing finished, its up to 4.4.2!!! I really can't explain how much I appreciate how much you guys helped me. You guys freakin' rock! I'm comfortable with most things dealing with computers, but when it comes to updating and flashing devices, I always get super apprehensive that I'm going to break the whole thing.

:D:D:DTHANK YOU:D:D:D

:party:

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
The link I have above is to a rooted version of stock, so you should be good.

Make a backup in recovery (always good insurance). :D
Clear both caches.
Flash the update.

So, I tried flashing and wiped /cache and dalvik, and I've run into a problem.. the flash did not go through, and I was stuck in the TWRP and tried to run the zip from there as well and it failed. Now, I rebooted and for some reason my Wifi will not turn on, and i'm on the screen to set up my tablet, so I can't enable USB debugging for ADB to access my tab... I've tried booting into recovery and to no avail..

HELP :eek:

Upvote 0
Well, I got my tablet back to life, I ended up having to enable force flash and flash stock with soft bricked/bootloop checked. I did loose everything on my tablet, but I was able to update to 4.4.2 after all was said and done. I made an full nandroid backup before trying all of this, do y'all think I should restore to that then attempt to flash aagain like I was initially trying? Because I did have a lot of rooted apps and had XBMC set up how I liked it.. Or would it be better just to start off with a clean slate and root my tablet again?

Any suggestions welcome

Reactions: marianeva
Upvote 0
Well, I got my tablet back to life, I ended up having to enable force flash and flash stock with soft bricked/bootloop checked. I did loose everything on my tablet, but I was able to update to 4.4.2 after all was said and done. I made an full nandroid backup before trying all of this, do y'all think I should restore to that then attempt to flash aagain like I was initially trying? Because I did have a lot of rooted apps and had XBMC set up how I liked it.. Or would it be better just to start off with a clean slate and root my tablet again?

Any suggestions welcome

Hey nightfox7! :wavey:

Sorry for the belated reply...

You could always take a new Nandroid backup of your newly stock / recent factory setup and then use that as a fall-back Nandroid to restore should restoring your other one bootloop.

Don't forget, if you know how to use command-line fastboot, soft-boot a custom recovery without over flashing / installing the custom recovery. In other words:
fastboot boot custom-recovery.img​
Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

So I have the exact same problem, also with a 2012 N7 (unrooted, totally stock)... The thing is, I think I once had it to 4.3 but last year it suffered from the weird non-booting/non-charging issue (mine was solved from the battery pack adjustment fix) and then was running really slowly so I factory reset it. It reset to 4.2.2 JDQ39 and now won't install the 4.3 OTA update, same thing as what happened to everyone else. :/

I did not attempt to run the other diagnostic stuff that you posted in this thread previously as none of that seemed to work, the only thing that seemed to work is to re-flash, which would be fine, I don't have any data on it that I care about anyway. I have no experience with this so I was going to use the wug toolkit, but it seems that that website is down (?) I haven't found an alternate place to download that file yet. Can someone point me to an alternate download for wug's? I really want to fix this N7 now as I want to give it to a family member, TIA! :)

EDIT: Never mind, I found a download link at http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Galaxy-Nexus-Root-Toolkit-Download-213077.html

I have a Mac, but with Parallels that runs Windows 7. I was able to get everything to work with a few hiccups - it froze during the first attempt similarly to nightfox7 above, the command line error said something about the bootloader failing (maybe this is the original problem with it being unable to do the OTA 4.3 update?). So I enabled force flash and tried again with soft bricked/bootloop checked and that worked, like it did for nightfox7. I decided to only flash to 4.3 and see if the N7 would then work on its own for the OTA update to 4.4.2, which it downloaded right away and is attempting to install right now............. YES! Looks like it worked, I have 4.4.2 KOT49H now.

Hoping this info may help someone else who stumbles into here with this problem, or help you smart people figure out what exactly this frustrating issue is with these N7s. Thanks for this thread guys!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply and feedback, marianeva--and welcome to our AndroidForums! :)

I'm still wondering if there wasn't some small app update that Google pushed-out that actually updated a system file that was cross-checked and not matched by the OTA installer (it's updater-script). That would keep an OTA from installing, but you'd think they could have accounted for something like that in subsequent OTA pushes and corrected the situation...:dontknow:

It's really puzzling that this would happen for otherwise stock/unrooted devices like yours and others.

Flashing back to stock seems like a bit of a draconian / sledge-hammer fix, eh? :thinking:

Anyway, glad you're back up and going again! :thumbup: :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X and Hook
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones