• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Adobe Flash 10.1 for Optimus M?

You want to sue? It has been well-established that MANY phones are not Flash capable because of the requirement of an ARMv7 processor. This fact still remains true for phones with an ARMv6 processor. Even Snapdragon processors were still out of the loop until recently: Qualcomm and Adobe Optimize Flash for SnapDragon (Phone Scoop)

To sue over this is like suing because your car is dark blue when you initially thought it was black before buying it.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of, it is well known cars cannot fly, but if your company puts out information telling everyone that it can fly, then it better freaking be able to fly. This IS false advertisement. And do you REALLY expect the average consumer to know that this phone has a Arm6 processor and not the Arm7 processor; therefore it does not support flash?

So bullshit, it's more like a case of a car manufacturer claiming that one of their models not has traction control, even though it has never had traction control in the past and still doesn't and then not being willing to do shit to compensate those who purchased the car because they thought it did have traction control, or phone in this case.

Don't advertise something you don't support and you wont have customers complaining about it. Or if they do, then at least you will be guilt free, but DONT advertise that you have a feature which you don't then try to ignore the problem, which is what they WILL DO unless people hold them accountable, ie TAKE THEM TO COURT.

Upvote 0
aovaici, I understand your point, but it's not worth it. They admitted the mistake, and while that PDF is technically on their servers, I challenge you to go to lg.com, and try and find it through normal navigation of the site--i.e., clicking through different pages. Just like a lot of customers won't have a clue about phone processors, neither will they have a clue about hidden PDF files on a manufacturer's website. If you do find it, fair game (although I'll be curious as to how long you had to hunt for it), but I'm with UKCatFan. You want to sue not only over a cheap phone, but over a simple advertising mistake made by a big fat bureaucracy (status as a large bureaucracy automatically means it'll take awhile to correct for no reason at all), and you expect precisely what in return??

I understand the frustration of false advertising, and the concept of proceeding out of principle, but at the same time, we must all pick our battles wisely. Is it really costing you any hardship to not be able to get quite the level of entertainment out of a phone? Suing the company won't get you flash on the phone. At the most, to me, it honestly sounds like an attempt to get free money by those who carry an entitlement mindset. People don't sue for free. Nobody in their right mind unless they just have all the time and money to kill will sue for free. You have to take time off of work, pay court costs, pay your lawyers (which you're going to need going up against a large corporation over such a small issue), etc. By the time it's all said and done, a lot of people are gonna think, "ya know, LG owes me." After all, even if you get all your costs back including the equivalent of lost wages, are you really going to want to go back home just breaking even after all that effort and mental anguish over a damn phone??? And then, what if you didn't win? But win or lose, by that point, it's gone way beyond just not having flash on the phone, and into ridiculousness.

Beyond that, I have a hard time believing that LG is some sort of sinister entity that based its whole advertising scheme with this phone on the idea that if they just convince everybody up front that it can use Flash, they can get rich quick and get away with it. In fact, that sounds pretty ludicrous.

Again, choose your battles wisely. In my book, this one is simply not worth it.

Upvote 0
Instead of diverting all this energy into a court matter, why not develop or find ways to build a form or port of Flash that does work for ARM 6 processors. I doubt very much Adobe will take the time to develop the program itself but surely there are open source alternatives that could perhaps be implemented?

Even if it is I would think it will be very buggy, and would admit that by the time something like this is developed we would probably have an ARMv.12 device at hand.

Upvote 0
instead of diverting all this energy into a court matter, why not develop or find ways to build a form or port of flash that does work for arm 6 processors. I doubt very much adobe will take the time to develop the program itself but surely there are open source alternatives that could perhaps be implemented?

Even if it is i would think it will be very buggy, and would admit that by the time something like this is developed we would probably have an armv.12 device at hand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Upvote 0
did some research and checked out the actual processor specs in the phone with the SetCPU app.

Flash only runs on ARMv7 devices and the Optimus M has an ARMv6 Processor.

Adobe dropped support for ARMv6 processors before ever releasing flash on android, so there really isnt even an older version floating around that we can use. Maybe someone else knows more info about this and will let us know what the deal is.
really? Because the specs say the optimus m is a qualcomm 600mhz unless they're the same company or your reading something different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones