• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Longer See Suggested Text Corrections

I've used Android phones for almost 10 years, and when composing messages by typing or using voice to text I've always been given options to change the text.

This is not tapping on a word and getting 3 choices to replace the word. I still get that.

What I mean is, if I say "Meet me at the local gym" and voice to text puts "Meet me after I go to Jim's," I used to be able to type any word in that string of text and get a pop-up with other options, maybe like

Meet me at the office Jim
Meet me at the local gym
Meet me after you go to the gym

I tap the correct string, and the entire thing is replaced. Quick and easy.

Now, after I compose a message, either typing or talking, whatever shows up is what I get. I have to select each word, delete, retype, etc.

This only started happening recently.

In my preferences for both Samsung Keyboard and GBoard, I have all autocorrect options turned on. This happens with both keyboards, whereas both keyboards formerly had the correction suggestions.

Sprint is my carrier on a Samsung Galaxy Note8 phone.

I have the Oreo update. This started before the update, and has not changed since the update.

I have the default Samsung and Gboard. Both formerly gave suggested strings of text, now neither does.

I cleared the predictions, I cleared the caches, I forced stop, I uninstalled and reinstalled Gboard.

I don't know what it means to clear the phone's cache. I've done the thing where I go into storage and fix and clear up memory and caches. I have not done a factory reset.

who is your carrier?
do you have the oreo update?

do you have other keyboards installed (i.e. swiftkey)

did you clear predictions?
did you clear the cache in those apps?

did you clear the phones cache?

im ASSuming you have the note 8 phone.

if you do have the oreo update, did this happen JUST AFTER the update or did it occur before?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones