• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help non HTC Micro USB cable charging - not working

I have an HTC Sensation 4G and there isn't a single NON HTC usb cable or wall charger that works with it. Only the HTC branded usb cables and wall chargers work. I have tried multiple other non HTC branded cables and chargers and none of them work. Just my input! :)
You work for HTC, eh? What a nonsense!

If your phone does not get charged when connected with a standard USB cable to a standard USB connector on any computer, then it is defective. If it is still under warranty, return it.

AC vs. USB charging is another matter.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Sensation 4G and there isn't a single NON HTC usb cable or wall charger that works with it. Only the HTC branded usb cables and wall chargers work. I have tried multiple other non HTC branded cables and chargers and none of them work. Just my input! :)
utter nonsense. as long as the cable is good quality they will work fine
right now i have a samsung usb musb, blackberry musb, palm musb and they all work with my desire and other htc phones i play about with

Upvote 0
I have never seen a thread with so many 'experts' who clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Yes, a cable can make a difference. Quality and length are important.

I won't go into the stuff about shorting out the data lines to force AC charging with some chargers - you can research that yourself.

This is on my HTC One X, while running, using a battery monitoring app, it tells me how much is reaching the battery after the system has used what it needs for the screen, apps running etc etc...
Firstly lets explain what the numbers mean...
---
700mA means 700mA is CHARGING the battery. It's what's left from what the charger is supplying and what the system is using.
-250mA means 250mA is being DRAWN from the battery It's what's left from what the charger is supplying and what the system is using.
---
Got that??? Ok, here we go....

Using a genuine HTC charger (1000mA) and:
HTC cable (about a 1m long) = 623mA
HTC cable (about a 1m long + Apple USB Cable 1m extender) = 574mA
E-Bay Blue and very thin 2m usb cable = -219mA
And for refrence, no cable plugged in = -287mA

So as the charger has the same output in each example, the phone is the same running the same apps etc, clearly, adding the apple extender to the HTC cable introduces some resistance and you lose around 25mA
The cheap crap E-bay cable (that works fine for data by the way) gives so little (around 68mA) I'm going backwards - even though the phone reports AC Charging (the battery app being a little more smart says AC Discharging)

So there you have it.

Now all you turkeys calling BS on this still, the burden of proof is on you then.
If you think you are so smart, do this experiment...

Get a 30m garden hose, 2 balloons and some rubber bands and someone with a stopwatch to time you...
Cut 10cm off the end of the hose.

Attach a balloon on one end of the short length of hose with a rubber band, nice and tight. Get your timekeeper to yell "Go" and then you blow through the hose with your mouth till the balloon pops. Ask them how long it took.
Write that number down.

Now do the same with the remaining 29.9m of garden hose. Attach a balloon on one end with a rubber band, nice and tight. Get your timekeeper to yell "Go" and then you blow through the hose with your mouth till the balloon pops.
That's right. Keep blowing till it pops.
Now ring your timekeeper up and ask them how many hours they waited before they gave up and went home, while you were still trying to pop the balloon.

So, does the length of hose make a difference?

Try a similar experiment with a 1m length of garden hose (which has an internal diameter of about 19mm) and a 1m length of fish-tank air hose (which has an internal diameter of about 2.5mm).
Make sure the hoses are the same length. Exactly 1m
Do the garden hose first, ask your timekeeper how long it took to pop the balloon.
Do the fish-tank hose second, ask your timekeeper how long the ambulance took to reach your house after you passed out.

Does the quality (thickness in this case) make a difference?

Conclusion. Yes there is a difference, and yes you should shut up and not make comments on that which you know nothing about or can not be bothered to do research or experiments to prove your BS theory..

:p
Marty

Upvote 0
I have never seen a thread with so many 'experts' who clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Yes, a cable can make a difference. Quality and length are important.

I won't go into the stuff about shorting out the data lines to force AC charging with some chargers - you can research that yourself.

This is on my HTC One X, while running, using a battery monitoring app, it tells me how much is reaching the battery after the system has used what it needs for the screen, apps running etc etc...
Firstly lets explain what the numbers mean...
---
700mA means 700mA is CHARGING the battery. It's what's left from what the charger is supplying and what the system is using.
-250mA means 250mA is being DRAWN from the battery It's what's left from what the charger is supplying and what the system is using.
---
Got that??? Ok, here we go....

Using a genuine HTC charger (1000mA) and:
HTC cable (about a 1m long) = 623mA
HTC cable (about a 1m long + Apple USB Cable 1m extender) = 574mA
E-Bay Blue and very thin 2m usb cable = -219mA
And for refrence, no cable plugged in = -287mA

So as the charger has the same output in each example, the phone is the same running the same apps etc, clearly, adding the apple extender to the HTC cable introduces some resistance and you lose around 25mA
The cheap crap E-bay cable (that works fine for data by the way) gives so little (around 68mA) I'm going backwards - even though the phone reports AC Charging (the battery app being a little more smart says AC Discharging)

So there you have it.

:p
Marty

Great, fact based post. Would love to know what app you used!

Upvote 0
marty,

brilliant post. a thread where everyone is an expert by proving that "every usb cable is the same" simply by typing it needed an answer like this.

i have been experiencing charging issues with my galaxy s2 4g. i am using a htc charger, and it would not charge. after some swapping chargers and cables, i figured out that i am using a cheap usb cable between the charger and my phone.

your examples are spot on. copper quality and cross-sectional area does make all the difference. in terms of electronics, 1 amp (1000mA) is quite a large current. a good cable is needed to supply this current.

Upvote 0
Clearly you have not read the literature. There are charging wires that handle current only, and ones that do both. Did I just get lucky and buy a duracell charger that charges but does not data transfer. You, my friend are one writing nonsense!

Don't believe all the nonsense that gets written. Every cable can charge a smartphone, regardless of price. And every cable can transfer any size of file.

The difference in quality between cables is essentially in their shielding. Again this has nothing to do with the function of the cable, but it makes a difference in interference. A poorly or not at all shielded cable will produce more interference, for example in the car radio when you receive a weak station.

However, the bigger factor than the shielding is the quality of the charger. Some chargers produce a lot of noise even with a shielded cable.

Upvote 0
Clearly you have not read the literature. There are charging wires that handle current only, and ones that do both. Did I just get lucky and buy a duracell charger that charges but does not data transfer. You, my friend are one writing nonsense!

A year of experience later I have to admit that my old post, while still correct for most practical purposes, needs several qualifications. I will just list them briefly.

1. Almost all USB cables have power and data wires and are able to transmit data. However, some are unshielded or badly shielded, which can lead to problems with data transmission.

2. A good cable has low resistance, particularly on the power wires. I have measured cables where one power wire had a resistance of 2 Ohms. That is far too much. This cable may still be able to charge most smartphones, but only slowly. Resistance should be well below 0.2 Ohms, I guess. I have had good experiences with original HTC micro-USB cables, but there are bad imitations on the market.

3. Essentially the smartphone determines the current, not the charger. Most smartphones pull a bit less than 0.5 A to comply with the computer USB standard and need a special signal to draw more. The old Chinese standard and the new European standard for micro-USB chargers prescribe that shorting the data cables constitutes that signal to the phone. Compliant chargers do this. For others you have to either cut the cable and solder the data wires together or buy an adapter. There is one sold specifically for some Galaxy Nexus pad that serves the purpose very well, not only for that pad, but also for all other phones following this standard, like HTC, Samsung, Google Nexus, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones