• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not receiving messages and calls

PrinceOfDorne

May 11, 2013
Philippines
I have two lines from different carriers. The other one has no problem receiving messages and calls but my primary line does. When the display is off meaning when I’m not using the phone, I don’t receive messages and calls but not when I’m using the phone. I went to my carrier for a change of sim and still didn’t work. Did a hard reset. Didn’t work. I don’t think it’s a carrier issue because my Z Flip doesn’t have this problem. On the other hand I cannot say the Ultra has a problem because my secondary line can receive messages and calls even if the display is off. So what gives?

EDIT: The Z Flip uses snapdragon 855+, my Ultra has the shitty exynos.

Last edited:
When you say "don't receive" do you mean don't receive notifications or don't receive the call/message at all? I realise that might not be easy to answer (a call ends up in voicemail and a message presumably arrives when you wake the phone), but maybe you can tell from the call log: if the call connected then diverted to voicemail I'd expect to see a missed call and a voicemail notifications, whereas if the phone was unavailable it should just go to voicemail?

And this is just cellular stuff (voice calls and SMS) rather than internet calls or IP-based messaging?

What happens if you swap the 2 SIMs? Does the problem depend on which carrier or on which SIM slot is used?

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
When you say "don't receive" do you mean don't receive notifications or don't receive the call/message at all? I realise that might not be easy to answer (a call ends up in voicemail and a message presumably arrives when you wake the phone), but maybe you can tell from the call log: if the call connected then diverted to voicemail I'd expect to see a missed call and a voicemail notifications, whereas if the phone was unavailable it should just go to voicemail?

And this is just cellular stuff (voice calls and SMS) rather than internet calls or IP-based messaging?

What happens if you swap the 2 SIMs? Does the problem depend on which carrier or on which SIM slot is used?
I can't receive messages AT ALL. My number cannot be contacted AT ALL.

Upvote 0

Ugh. Like I said, when using my secondary line/sim, no problem AT ALL. When using other phones (iPhone 11, Pixel 3XL and Z Flip, no problem AT ALL with those 2 sim cards).

Upvote 0
Ugh. Like I said, when using my secondary line/sim, no problem AT ALL. When using other phones (iPhone 11, Pixel 3XL and Z Flip, no problem AT ALL with those 2 sim cards).
What I meant was swap SIM 1 and SIM 2 in that same phone. Does the problem follow the SIM or the slot? If it changes lines when you swap which SIM is in which slot then you have identified the problem as being with the slot (so probably hardware, since you've already tried a reset).

Upvote 0
What I meant was swap SIM 1 and SIM 2 in that same phone. Does the problem follow the SIM or the slot? If it changes lines when you swap which SIM is in which slot then you have identified the problem as being with the slot (so probably hardware, since you've already tried a reset).
If it's hardware, then I would have the same problem with my secondary sim card but that's not the case. With my secondary sim, everything is smooth and perfect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones