• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 9 Error Message Call & Msg

Martin Oz

Lurker
Oct 28, 2018
Since downloading the last Camera Update patch, this message has not stopped popping up.
Freezing the phone etc.
Any suggestions?
SmartSelect_20181026-185141_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
Cheers
Martin

So it's a regular system software update where the changes are mostly to the camera, but may include other things (e.g. if you were not already on the September security patch then there's a security update in there as well).

It's possible that the problem is not with the camera updates but with something else that was in that update. That doesn't necessarily bring us any closer to a solution, but I mention it because the camera itself might be a red herring (or not: there may be some interaction between the camera and this "call and message continuity", whatever that is).

Have you tried the generic things to try after a system update causes problems, such as going into recovery and wiping the cache, or wiping app caches via your Apps settings (I'd certainly try camera, phone and message apps, and this continuity thing if you can find it)? Possibly even clear data for those apps (this should not wipe SMS/MMS messages, as they are owned by another app, but I'd back up first to be safe. If you use RCS messaging I don't know about that). I don't want to suggest a factory reset, though that's an option too: it doesn't undo the update, but if the problem is some data being incompatible with the updated software that's the way to be certain of clearing it (the other things above are attempts to guess where the problem might be and clear possible culprits, rather than wiping everything in a factory reset). But setting up again is a pain, and there's no guarantee it would fix the problem: if it is a bug in updated system software rather than some of your data being incompatible with the update then a reset will not help at all.

I'd certainly report it to Samsung, but would be a little surprised if you got a quick and useful response. You could report it to you carrier, but if they are anything like the ones here I expect that the second or third step in their script will be to suggest that you do a factory reset. Won't do any harm to let them know that their update caused problems though.

Unfortunately I don't know what this call and message continuity thing is: I suspect it's a Samsung feature, but that means I don't know where to look for it.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Thanks for your time and wisdom Hadron, will give it a go.
Cheers Mate

Factory reset won't solve the problem. I tried that and 2 days later issue started again. Spoke to Samsung who has no idea what this 'call and message continuity' app is. Both Samsung and Telstra suggested factory reset as a last resort. Telstra gave me the option to take it in to a store to swap for another but considering I spent $100 for a whitestone screen protector which they won't replace, I won't be taking up their offer. I'm now looking at how to downgrade to the previous firmware. Alternatively might have to wait for another update (at Samsung and Telstra'rate it'll be 4 months). I'll follow up if I have any progress

Also when it does pop up make sure to submit feedback every time. The more feedback they get with this issue the sooner they'll do something about it

Upvote 0
Factory reset won't solve the problem. I tried that and 2 days later issue started again. Spoke to Samsung who has no idea what this 'call and message continuity' app is. Both Samsung and Telstra suggested factory reset as a last resort. Telstra gave me the option to take it in to a store to swap for another but considering I spent $100 for a whitestone screen protector which they won't replace, I won't be taking up their offer. I'm now looking at how to downgrade to the previous firmware. Alternatively might have to wait for another update (at Samsung and Telstra'rate it'll be 4 months). I'll follow up if I have any progress

$100 bucks for a screen protector!?...Wow!

Quite frankly I don't think it will be an easy job to downgrade firmware on a Galaxy Note9, not without rooting and hacking, which will invalidate the warranty.

Upvote 0
$100 bucks for a screen protector!?...Wow!

Quite frankly I don't think it will be an easy job to downgrade firmware on a Galaxy Note9, not without rooting and hacking, which will invalidate the warranty.

Yeah couldn't get the whitestone locally so by the time I had it shipped it wasn't cheap. All others I've used withy note 8 and s8 never fit properly so went with what was recommended.
No way to downgrade as it's the first of a new update version 2 and can't be downgraded to a version 1 (something along those lines). No choice but to wait for another update and Joe it solves the issue...

Quoting another user from samsung community forum:
"Open message app. Top right hand corner go to settings. Open Chat Settings. Turn OFF Rich Communication. Reboot phone. FIXED for me"

i'm trying it now

Update 1: Confirming the above method has worked. Hopefully they fix this on the next update. Turning rich text off disables Samsung chat ( like imessage for ios) which I have been using a lot.

Update 2: short lived success. Just had the error cone up again, however it's now not as frequent it seems.

Update 3: firmware update has done nothing. Still getting the error...
Theres also an update out so hopefully it resolves the issue. Will confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones