• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note9 sending text videos is awful

I have videos I am trying to send in text and they send with terrible resolution and pixelation. On my iPhone these would send fine and no problem at all with resolution of picture quality.

Is there something I'm missing or does android suck at sending videos in texts?

It's not Android, it's more the carrier networks themselves suck at sending videos via MMS. Basically because MMS is really a legacy thing from the era of dumb-phones and limits MMS attachments to 400kB, including videos.

On your iPhone you're sending videos with Apple iMessage, and that only works with other Apple devices of course.

FWIW I'm sending and receiving high quality video messages quite frequently with an Android phone, but then my recipients are all using WeChat, including iPhone users.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
In this day and age of 1080p and 4k and $1000+ phones android is still limiting messages to 400kb??? Yes I know there is other text programs but still... that's crazy to me

Thats if you are sending messages via MMS....
New messaging protocols were written exactly for the reasons you just said.

If you want to use a different messaging system there is 400kb restriction

Upvote 0
In this day and age of 1080p and 4k and $1000+ phones android is still limiting messages to 400kb??? Yes I know there is other text programs but still... that's crazy to me

It's actually because you're using your carrier's MMS service, and that's what's limited to 400kb. Sending MMS might be quite expensive as well, depending on your particular billing tariff. Maybe try something like WhatsApp if you want to send larger videos, which doesn't have the size restrictions and costs of carrier MMS.

You have a Galaxy Note9? Does Samsung operate their own messaging service? iMessage on your iPhone is Apple only. Google Messages supports high quality videos, which is an official way of messaging on Android, but your carrier must support RCS(Rich Communication Services).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's actually because you're using your carrier's MMS service, and that's what's limited to 400kb. Sending MMS might be quite expensive as well, depending on your particular billing tariff. Maybe try something like WhatsApp if you want to send larger videos, which doesn't have the size restrictions and costs of carrier MMS.

You have a Galaxy Note9? Does Samsung operate their own messaging service? iMessage on your iPhone is Apple only. Google Messages supports high quality videos, which is an official way of messaging on Android, but your carrier must support RCS(Rich Communication Services).

Oh hmmm I am way to used to apple the. Yes I have a note9 on sprint network.

Do other people have to have Google messages? Of I'm sending a video to an iPhone with Google messages send high quality video to them?

I downloaded Google messages. It shows HQ in the app for me. Not sure if it does the same for everyone else, especially on iphone...

Upvote 0
As I understand it Google's Messages supports RCS, and so should be compatible with other message apps using the same standard (I thought this includes Samsung's message app).

The problem for you is that Apple have said that they will not support RCS (presumably for the same reason they never widened iMessage beyond Apple devices: if they did it would remove a lock-in feature for their users).

Reactions: Copenhagen69
Upvote 0
As I understand it Google's Messages supports RCS, and so should be compatible with other message apps using the same standard (I thought this includes Samsung's message app).

The problem for you is that Apple have said that they will not support RCS (presumably for the same reason they never widened iMessage beyond Apple devices: if they did it would remove a lock-in feature for their users).

So RCS is turned on. You a re saying for other Samsung users they will get the nice video however apple users won't due to the messaging limitations between the 2 OS?

Upvote 0
Due to them not using a common internet messaging platform and having to fall back on MMS, which is then subject to network limits, yes. You can try, of course, but that's what I would expect to happen.

There are cross-platform internet messaging apps, but they are not the default message app on either platform and so all parties need to install them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones