• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notifications for SMS and email

nickg2

Jul 11, 2012
is there a way to turn off notifications for when you receive email vs. having them on when you receive a text??

i'm tired of my phone beeping at 4AM because of some email from whom/where ever but still want to be notified if a text comes in since i live in PA and my son lives in CA.

seems like it's an everything or nothing on the Spectrum unless their is a 3rd party apps for notifications.

thanks.

yes, there should be an option within the email app inself to turn off notifications. Which app do you use? I'm sure someone who uses the same app can clarify the exact process for you. There are also option to turn off auto sync, which will greatly improve your battery life. So the phone is not constantly check for new messages. Instead you will manually do so after opening the app and selcting the sync or refresh option.

Upvote 0
i'm sure there is a way to make the phone not notify you during certain hours but why not just turn the volume for notifications down?

If this is an option for you and you aren't sure how to do it then just go to settings/sound/volume/make sure you uncheck the box and then you can adjust the notification volume.

Maybe someone can give you a better solution but thats my 2 cents =]

Upvote 0
as i mentioned, since my son and i have a 3 hour time difference i like to keep the SMS notification on as sometimes we'll text later in the evening or if there is an important text that he would send me when it's late.

but as i also mentioned, those 4AM emails are annoying.

I wasn't saying keep the volume down 24 7. I was saying turn it down over night and then when you wake up in the morning turn it back up. If you get a text over night you aren't going to miss it because you'll have a notification in the status bar letting you know what you received, be it a text or email.

Upvote 0
If using Gmail select "Silent" as your notification ringtone from the General Settings (I always have it set that way). The builtin Email app should let you change the notification tone to Silent as well. The text app lets you choose a ringtone for texts that's different from email if you want to.

The official Hotmail app is funky and won't honor the Silent setting, and treats it as the default notification ringtone instead. I had to use it's quiet time feature to stop it from beeping at night. It worked fine on my Ally (Android 2.2) so don't know if this is something in the new version or if 2.3 confuses it somehow.

Upvote 0
yes, there should be an option within the email app inself to turn off notifications. Which app do you use? I'm sure someone who uses the same app can clarify the exact process for you. There are also option to turn off auto sync, which will greatly improve your battery life. So the phone is not constantly check for new messages. Instead you will manually do so after opening the app and selcting the sync or refresh option.

thanks hollywoods!!! i turned off the auto sync for Gmail and sent a test with no notification and also did an SMS test and still got notified. much appreciated.

Upvote 0
thanks hollywoods!!! i turned off the auto sync for Gmail and sent a test with no notification and also did an SMS test and still got notified. much appreciated.
excellent, glad you got it taken care of. Just dont forget when you open the gmail app, you will need to hit the menu then refresh to check for new email. This should help your battery life some too.

Upvote 0
Not sure if it is the correct app, but Microsoft makes one called "on" (I think that is the name) that can turn the sounds off, but still allows you to get phone calls and messages from specific contacts. You can configure it based on your location or time of day. It is not a unique app, but combines the functionality of two apps I currently use into one.

Or maybe that is part of ICS... I know ICS has several of the features of "on" built in, or at least ICS for my wife's Droid 4 does... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones