• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Notifications interrupt music

Is there a way to, whenever listening to music and you get a notification, having the notification simply play over the music instead of completely stopping it? This bug is really beginning to tick me off...and no, I don't care what anyone says -- in my book, this is a bug and definitely not a feature!

Fred in St. Louis

As far as I can tell, Android does not let 2 different sound sources to play together. I am not sure it's possible even with root. You can make the notifications automatically be silent and revert to vibrate when playing music using Tasker. Other than that, not so sure.

And a bug is something that was unintentionally broken. It's more difficult with something intended. If majority of people aren't complaining, I don't think they'll bother too much about this feature, especially one that makes it less likely for a notification to be overlooked.

Upvote 0
Actually, I can tell you for a fact that it does. Namely, my gripe is that whenever I get an E-mail over the Outlook app (for work), it stops my music (right now, I'm listening to southern gospel station KWFC from Springfield, MO through their own app). However, I also have Grandfather Clock installed for Westminster clock chimes every 15 minutes, and while that introduces a split-second hiccup (maybe about a quarter of a second or so) in the music when the chimes ring, I can hear the music and the clock chimes at the same time (it does, however, interestingly enough, disable my bass boost when they ring, but re-enables it after they stop ringing -- that I can live with, at least).

Like you said, there's vibrate, but that's not what I'm looking for here, as I still want to hear the notifications. I just don't want them killing the music and forcing me to restart the player.

Upvote 0
If the music isn't restarting this sounds like a bug with the specific player app (since you say "station" is that an internet radio app?). Certainly when I'm listening to music text or email notifications just interrupt for the time the notification takes to play, rather than stopping the music player.

So what phone, what android version, and what music app? And have you tried a different app (assuming this station is available through more than one app)?

Upvote 0
C̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶?̶ ̶W̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶t̶?̶

Edit: I believe this is called ducking. Some music player apps, Poweramp for one, have a setting to try to eliminate this. However, I am rooted and this option may not be available for non-root users.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducking

Also, as stated above, turn off notifications for offending app.

And, one Google search later,

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...p-notification-sounds-interrupting-music.html

Posts #15,#16,#17,#21

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones