1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Notifications interrupt music

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Fred McKinney, May 12, 2016.

1. Fred McKinney

Fred McKinney Lurker
    None

May 12, 2016
    Male
    Ballwin, MO
    Is there a way to, whenever listening to music and you get a notification, having the notification simply play over the music instead of completely stopping it? This bug is really beginning to tick me off...and no, I don't care what anyone says -- in my book, this is a bug and definitely not a feature!

Fred in St. Louis

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    As far as I can tell, Android does not let 2 different sound sources to play together. I am not sure it's possible even with root. You can make the notifications automatically be silent and revert to vibrate when playing music using Tasker. Other than that, not so sure.

And a bug is something that was unintentionally broken. It's more difficult with something intended. If majority of people aren't complaining, I don't think they'll bother too much about this feature, especially one that makes it less likely for a notification to be overlooked.

3. Fred McKinney

Fred McKinney Lurker
    None

May 12, 2016
    Male
    Ballwin, MO
    Actually, I can tell you for a fact that it does. Namely, my gripe is that whenever I get an E-mail over the Outlook app (for work), it stops my music (right now, I'm listening to southern gospel station KWFC from Springfield, MO through their own app). However, I also have Grandfather Clock installed for Westminster clock chimes every 15 minutes, and while that introduces a split-second hiccup (maybe about a quarter of a second or so) in the music when the chimes ring, I can hear the music and the clock chimes at the same time (it does, however, interestingly enough, disable my bass boost when they ring, but re-enables it after they stop ringing -- that I can live with, at least).

Like you said, there's vibrate, but that's not what I'm looking for here, as I still want to hear the notifications. I just don't want them killing the music and forcing me to restart the player.

4. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    Sorry, nothing you can do about it.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Oh wait. To be clear. The music isn't restarting after the notification?

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Could depend on the phone and the particular music player in use. On my Oppo, with both the stock music player and Rocket Player, the volume is lowered briefly for the notification, and then continues playing at the volume I set. Which is what I want. :thumbsupdroid:

Hadron likes this.
  7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If the music isn't restarting this sounds like a bug with the specific player app (since you say "station" is that an internet radio app?). Certainly when I'm listening to music text or email notifications just interrupt for the time the notification takes to play, rather than stopping the music player.

So what phone, what android version, and what music app? And have you tried a different app (assuming this station is available through more than one app)?

8. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    C̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶?̶ ̶W̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶t̶?̶

Edit: I believe this is called ducking. Some music player apps, Poweramp for one, have a setting to try to eliminate this. However, I am rooted and this option may not be available for non-root users.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducking

Also, as stated above, turn off notifications for offending app.

And, one Google search later,

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...p-notification-sounds-interrupting-music.html

Posts #15,#16,#17,#21

#8 Bg260, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016