• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Nougat update for zte zmax pro

They already started the sign up process for the nougat beta update...

just read from ZTE forum one of their reps said beta is not for nougat. If only for that now I am rooting for you to root this phone, I mean if you root this, can you put nougat in this or not?

And then there are people saying even snapdragon 800 and above and latest phones can't run nougat? Because it need open GS or something. Damn that. In windows, all you need to run a program/software is to have the right driver for it. I don't know how Android OS works.

Upvote 0
uhhh...that makes very little sense to me. Why test it if they don't plan to release it?

They are collecting input from Zmax Pro customers to basically, improve functionality of their Marshmallow firmware, possibly using that data down the road, to make a not-so-sucky Nougat experience.

Maybe they've read enough on Android forums alone about just how much this phone sucks. They're not doing this to bolster root resistance or make it easier to root, but because it's a POS and they know it.

Obviously they want to improve their products and sell more handsets down the road. The rooting crowd looking for the ideal phone is miniscule compared to those just looking for a phone that looks/performs the best for a good price.

Face it. Their phones suck. Even their higher end phones are rubbish, except for maybe the original and 2nd Zmax (I thought they were hideous and cheaply built). I had hoped the Pro would break the slew of crap they've been putting out. Phone is physically perfect, firmware is crap. And being unrootable makes it that much worse lol

Upvote 0
That's your opinion. I think it's a solid mid-range phone at a budget price, running mostly-vanilla android. The few bugs I had were pretty much fixed with the B12 update. Also if you expect that every single brand new phone you ever buy is automagically going to get root right out of the box, you're just letting yourself down. It's getting pretty old hearing people piss and moan that their Hyundai isn't a Ferrari.

Upvote 0
They are collecting input from Zmax Pro customers to basically, improve functionality of their Marshmallow firmware, possibly using that data down the road, to make a not-so-sucky Nougat experience.

Maybe they've read enough on Android forums alone about just how much this phone sucks. They're not doing this to bolster root resistance or make it easier to root, but because it's a POS and they know it.

Obviously they want to improve their products and sell more handsets down the road. The rooting crowd looking for the ideal phone is miniscule compared to those just looking for a phone that looks/performs the best for a good price.

Face it. Their phones suck. Even their higher end phones are rubbish, except for maybe the original and 2nd Zmax (I thought they were hideous and cheaply built). I had hoped the Pro would break the slew of crap they've been putting out. Phone is physically perfect, firmware is crap. And being unrootable makes it that much worse lol

I couldn't disagree more. The original ZMAX and the ZMAX PRO are the best two phones I've ever owned, especially in relation to their cost. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 when it was released for about $350 if I remember correctly, total piece of crap. I also bought an S4 and an S5 for full price and they were also total pieces of garbage. I will never buy another Samsung product again. I bought my girlfriend an Apple iPhone on release day (can't remember if it was the 5 or 6) and paid nearly $800. Total piece of crap in my opinion. The last two ZTE phones I've purchased were amazingly priced AND have given me a great experience. The PRO has had a few quirks and they could have designed a few things a bit differently, but hopefully the PRO 2 will see further improvement. Many people rank the Pro as the best bargain phone of 2016, with good reason.

Upvote 0
That's your opinion. I think it's a solid mid-range phone at a budget price, running mostly-vanilla android. The few bugs I had were pretty much fixed with the B12 update. Also if you expect that every single brand new phone you ever buy is automagically going to get root right out of the box, you're just letting yourself down. It's getting pretty old hearing people piss and moan that their Hyundai isn't a Ferrari.

(Chortles)

Yeah same here. Mine was resurrected with B12. However, not redeeming enough for the whole experience, adding in lousy customer service and total money spent on a subpar device. ($170+30 case, plus stupid extra USB-c cable and unlock fee, cuz metroPCS sucks) $100 and i wouldn't be griping. I've bought better devices for less)

With the exception of my Nexus 5, I've never bought a phone expecting all out access to it. Currently only 2 out of my 15 Android devices are rooted, 7 of which can be rooted if I want. I'm not one of the slobbering idiots in line waiting for root so I can pimp/bling my phone out with Xposed mods lol...

I root only for CM+ tinkering on my Nexus 7, Titanium Backup, bloat removal and audio mods because I'm hard of hearing (lots of manufacturers limit volume). Other than that, I have 3 daily apps I use and that's it.

And I have no problem buying a Hyundai. I expect it to be a Hyundai, not built and perform like a Daewoo ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0
I couldn't disagree more. The original ZMAX and the ZMAX PRO are the best two phones I've ever owned, especially in relation to their cost. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 when it was released for about $350 if I remember correctly, total piece of crap. I also bought an S4 and an S5 for full price and they were also total pieces of garbage. I will never buy another Samsung product again. I bought my girlfriend an Apple iPhone on release day (can't remember if it was the 5 or 6) and paid nearly $800. Total piece of crap in my opinion. The last two ZTE phones I've purchased were amazingly priced AND have given me a great experience. The PRO has had a few quirks and they could have designed a few things a bit differently, but hopefully the PRO 2 will see further improvement. Many people rank the Pro as the best bargain phone of 2016, with good reason.

Actually, they could have done many things differently. Physically, they nailed it. Beautiful phone. Underneath it, lousy Marshmallow firmware. Their Lollipop firmware would've been fine.

I have three ZTE devices. A plug-in vehicle GPS/Hotspot module, an Obsidian and a ZMax Pro. They all disappoint. I will say the Obsidian would be fine if not for the display, eww.. But I paid $20 new. The GPS module? It barely works. Every time my wife opens the door it sends me an break-in alert, those come through fine.

Locating my vehicle, forget it. If it were really stolen I'd get a notification months after it was loaded onto a container ship. If I ping location it says it's outside of my house when my wife is really out shopping lol... Cost me $150. Lame.

The OG ZMax, I tried it before dismissing it. You know those store display models with plastic fake screen? Felt like that, it skipped, stuttered and just didn't impress me. $20 less and I got a new Stylo. Rootable. I know. Just my opinion.

I knew enough about Samsungs to avoid them before the GS3 came out. Sorry you got burned on that....

Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
The OG ZMax, I tried it before dismissing it. You know those store display models with plastic fake screen? Felt like that, it skipped, stuttered and just didn't impress me. $20 less and I got a new Stylo. Rootable. I know. Just my opinion.

I also owned the original Stylo. I bought it a few months after I got the original ZMAX, thinking the Stylo would be an upgrade. I gave the Stylo to a friend and kept my ZMAX. There were indeed areas where the Stylo was better ( feels nicer in the hand, better camera, etc). But the original Zmax actually had a crisper display (easy to see when sitting side by side) and the sound quality/speaker was much better. Since the Zmax has physical menu buttons the screen space isn't taken up by on screen buttons like on the Stylo line (you end up losing screen space). Display a webpage with images on a ZMAX and a Stylo side by side and it's easy to see which is preferable when it comes to fully utilizing screen space.

But... I really like the Stylo. I like LG. I think LG and ZTE are making some great phones and I'm glad we have the choice. I think the competition between those two brands will give us better products :)

I personally think the ZMAX PRO is better than the current Stylo (regardless of root access). Better screen resolution (very important), larger screen, better memory options, no on-screen buttons, fingerprint scanner, full range of sensors (Gyroscope, etc), etc. There ARE some good features on the side of the Stylo. NFC being the stand out.

Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
Actually, they could have done many things differently. Physically, they nailed it. Beautiful phone. Underneath it, lousy Marshmallow firmware. Their Lollipop firmware would've been fine.

I have three ZTE devices. A plug-in vehicle GPS/Hotspot module, an Obsidian and a ZMax Pro. They all disappoint. I will say the Obsidian would be fine if not for the display, eww.. But I paid $20 new. The GPS module? It barely works. Every time my wife opens the door it sends me an break-in alert, those come through fine.

Locating my vehicle, forget it. If it were really stolen I'd get a notification months after it was loaded onto a container ship. If I ping location it says it's outside of my house when my wife is really out shopping lol... Cost me $150. Lame.

I knew enough about Samsungs to avoid them before the GS3 came out. Sorry you got burned on that....
Can you please pull a stock OTA from your Obsidian? If it's metro I have a metro obsidian that I rooted and tried to remove kinguser with supersume it gets stuck on metro boot screen smh. I can get to stock recovery

Upvote 0
I just wish ZTE had more access to stock roms and a better flash tool

Upvote 0
(Chortles)

Yeah same here. Mine was resurrected with B12. However, not redeeming enough for the whole experience, adding in lousy customer service and total money spent on a subpar device. ($170+30 case, plus stupid extra USB-c cable and unlock fee, cuz metroPCS sucks) $100 and i wouldn't be griping. I've bought better devices for less)

Duuuude, why? Just why did you pay $17o for it in the first place? Isn't it $99 or less if you port a number? $30 case? There's a lot of less than $10 case on ebay for this phone. I bought one and saved my phone when it fell out of my pocket. Last but not least... unlock fee? If you waited 3 mos you could have unlock it for free. My phone is unlock now for free coz I stayed with this shitty phone on shitty metro. LOOOOOOOL.

Upvote 0
Duuuude, why? Just why did you pay $17o for it in the first place? Isn't it $99 or less if you port a number? $30 case? There's a lot of less than $10 case on ebay for this phone. I bought one and saved my phone when it fell out of my pocket. Last but not least... unlock fee? If you waited 3 mos you could have unlock it for free. My phone is unlock now for free coz I stayed with this shitty phone on shitty metro. LOOOOOOOL.

Meh, because I did the pre-buy special. Unfortunately I lost out on the rebate AND the free unlock because I left MetroPCS less than 2 months after activating my Zmax. Had enough of their shit. Worth it all the way, I pay $40 less/month than Metro and now have 4 unlimited high speed lines instead of 2 unlimited, 2 with data caps.

Reactions: enesha
Upvote 0
I also owned the original Stylo. I bought it a few months after I got the original ZMAX, thinking the Stylo would be an upgrade. I gave the Stylo to a friend and kept my ZMAX. There were indeed areas where the Stylo was better ( feels nicer in the hand, better camera, etc). But the original Zmax actually had a crisper display (easy to see when sitting side by side) and the sound quality/speaker was much better. Since the Zmax has physical menu buttons the screen space isn't taken up by on screen buttons like on the Stylo line (you end up losing screen space). Display a webpage with images on a ZMAX and a Stylo side by side and it's easy to see which is preferable when it comes to fully utilizing screen space.

But... I really like the Stylo. I like LG. I think LG and ZTE are making some great phones and I'm glad we have the choice. I think the competition between those two brands will give us better products :)

I personally think the ZMAX PRO is better than the current Stylo (regardless of root access). Better screen resolution (very important), larger screen, better memory options, no on-screen buttons, fingerprint scanner, full range of sensors (Gyroscope, etc), etc. There ARE some good features on the side of the Stylo. NFC being the stand out.

I had the the Stylo then Zmax then Stylo 2 then Zmax Pro - heh I change a lot. The Pro is a step up from the Stylo 2 that's for sure. Better screen faster and more ram. I seem to always screw myself when I upgrade tho heh. I had root on the og Zmax and loved it. I thought the Stylo 2 would be an upgrade, which it was, but didn't have root. I really need to look at these things in advance. Then I switched to the Zmax Pro hoping that since root seemed to go ok for the OG that I would get root eventually and be happy. Of course what happened, but the Stylo 2 got root like less than a week after i switched. Heh Always my way. Still, really, any of those phones are recommendable. My Stylo 2 was metro, so it was, as far as I could tell slightly less spec wise than from other carriers. Partly why I traded to the Pro.

Lesson is always check out root before you buy a new phone. Tho with Metro giving you the new customer price every three months, I'm ok with bouncing around :)

Reactions: ZMAX4EVER
Upvote 0
i just got an update am hoping its a good one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170128-010244.png
    Screenshot_20170128-010244.png
    337 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0

I couldn't have said it better myself. This will be my last ZTE for sure. I'm just on a budget with much needed car repairs

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones