• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root O.M.G.! We've Been Beaten By The LG Stylo 2 Plus!

RAIDER W

Oct 13, 2016
Why Me..? :cool:
Not 10 days after I return my LG Stylo 2 Plus to Walmart to purchase the Zmax Pro.. They have a working T.W.R.P. image.. Execute SuperSu in T.W.R.P.. and Bam you have Root Access. Xposed Modules are humming along as well.. :(

Does the superior Speed, Power, Screen and most importantly Price ( at least for me, as I only paid $39.99 for my Zmax Pro with the Number Port Promo ) and perhaps never achieving Root with our Zmax Pros'.. out weigh owning a slightly inferior phone in the Stylo 2 Plus.. that has achieved that oh so precious Root Access that we all are praying for? Does this not mean that it's *ZTE* that's preventing the bootloader from being unlocked on Zmax Pro's.. since the MetroPCS Stylo 2 Plus can obtain Root..?

Time to sell? Time to own "Two" devices? Do you even care what's up with the Stlyo 2 Plus.. Please weigh in with your thoughts...... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, you think the Stylo 2 Plus is inferior, I've owned both, sold my zmax pro for the Stylo because the zmax was total trash. Loving life with my rooted Stylo 2 plus[emoji23]
Congrats on obtaining Root.. :)
I know you were one of the one's that worked HARD to make it happen for the stylo 2+
But... you have to quote me correctly sir... I said: "Slightly" inferior because for about 2 days I too, owned both devices.. :cool:
And we all have our reasons for liking one thing over another.. that's what makes us unique!
But.. you have to admit.. the processor ( Geekbench 3 or real world use ) is faster.. The Zmax is closer to Pure Android in it's interface.. The 1080 res is better, having a full 6 inches to view that 1080 res vs about 5.5 inches ( after accounting for the on screen keys of the stylo 2+ ) is a little better for games and movies.. a better build quality feel.. and quicker fingerprint scanner not to mention a bigger battery.. ( even though my stylo 2+ got 7hrs OST ) all this at a better price.. and yes I feel Zmax Pro is "Slightly" superior.. :cool:
But.. again congrats on obtaining what we can only dream of at this point.. ;)

Reactions: giomiguelito
Upvote 0
Honestly the zmax pro has its perks but I get better battery life on the Stylo due to better optimization by LG. As far as stock Android is concerned I'm going to be working with someone to hopefully port cm13 over. If you've thought about picking up a Stylo now is time. Development is starting up.
Yeah..
My stylo 2+ stayed on 100% like it was broken as well.. EXCELLENT optimization on the 2+ .. there is even a vid on youtube showing each running a series of test side by side and you don't see the 2+ move off 100% while the M-Pro drops to I think something like 82%..
Believe me, I'm temped to snatch another 2+... but please answer me this question..
Root is working with both the K550 ( Walmart/ T-Mobile ) and the MS550 ( Metro PCS ) correct?

Upvote 0
I used to be an lg lover and to me the Stylo one was cored better and overall better than the Stylo 2. Stock vs stock. From my experience. The zmax pro beats Stylo 1 and 2 hands down. Mine last roughly 3 days with moderate usage. I switched from the Stylo over the map issue. I know simple reason but for the job it's very important. Given the glitches the zmax has, does lower the rating for me but the issues seems to be regional as well. Since I've changed to sliding messaging and and a few changes. My issues are minimal and I will say happy at the moment

Upvote 0
From my experience The zmax pro beats Stylo 1 and 2 hands down. Given the glitches the zmax has.. My issues are minimal and I will say happy at the moment
I Had No Issues With My Zmax Pro.. :cool:
The only issue I had was when I tried to follow what someone else here in the forums did.. and lowered my DPI from 480 to 400..:cool:
That created havoc for my software.. flashing screens, changing wallpaper on it's own.. freezing.. etc. Once I switched back to 480 and simply lowered my font size and icon size with prime, everything including the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly on my Zmax Pro..
And if all things were equal.. and the Zmax Pro had root like the Stylo 2 Plus.. The Zmax Pro would clearly be the more refined device..
But it does not have and may never have root...
I would never pay $129.99 for a stylo 2 plus ( much less the $199.99 some people paid ) when I got the Zmax Pro for only $39.99.. The more I think about it, I can wait 30 days until Cyber Monday.. I'm sure Metro or Walmart will have the Stylo 2 Plus for $99.99 or less.. Then it will be worth it to me to have 2 cool phones and only have spent $140.00 for both.. ;)
Because root opens the door to so much more.. And the Stylo 2 Plus has kicked it wide open.

Upvote 0
Where can you find information about this? Was going to just get another zmax pro but if I can get rooted phone that fits my needs even better.
What info do you need? :cool:
XDA has the procedure on rooting the Style 2 Plus.. ( or just google it.. ) MetroPCS and WAL-MART have the device... Happy Rooting .. I'll join you after cyber Monday when the Stylo 2 Plus drops under $100.00 and there are a few Roms to play with.. :cool:

Upvote 0
I Had No Issues With My Zmax Pro.. :cool:
The only issue I had was when I tried to follow what someone else here in the forums did.. and lowered my DPI from 480 to 400..:cool:
That created havoc for my software.. flashing screens, changing wallpaper on it's own.. freezing.. etc. Once I switched back to 480 and simply lowered my font size and icon size with prime, everything including the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly on my Zmax Pro..
Its the lock screen that causes all that. You need to disable/replace it if you mess with the DPI.

Upvote 0
LG has been my go to smart phone for years. I'll stay loyal because they do a great job on customizability for the user. I promise Zte will never see a dime from me.. There lucky the Zmax Z970 is one if my favorite phones of all time. So they keep 1 point.:) . Fastboot fastboot fastboot. Thanks LG. Lifes Good!

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if the walmart version comes unlocked?
Your Question Infers That It's MetroPCS Thats Locking Down The Zmax Pro.. :cool:
That's now proven not to be the case.. Since the MetroPCS version of the LG Stylo 2 Plus is now Bootloader unlocked and Rooted, it's not MetroPCS.. it's "ZTE" that refuses to let a $99.00/$39.00 device have an Unlocked Bootloader..

But.. you can by their $400.00 Flagship Axion 7 I believe it's called.. and have an Unlocked Bootloader no problem..
Thanks For That ZTE.. :cool:

Just get an LG Stylo 2 Plus.. and you will have Root in less than 30 minutes.

Upvote 0
Your Question Infers That It's MetroPCS Thats Locking Down The Zmax Pro.. :cool:
That's now proven not to be the case.. Since the MetroPCS version of the LG Stylo 2 Plus is now Bootloader unlocked and Rooted, it's not MetroPCS.. it's "ZTE" that refuses to let a $99.00/$39.00 device have an Unlocked Bootloader..

But.. you can by their $400.00 Flagship Axion 7 I believe it's called.. and have an Unlocked Bootloader no problem..
Thanks For That ZTE.. :cool:

Just get an LG Stylo 2 Plus.. and you will have Root in less than 30 minutes.

Its really both. Either one could make the call on that one. Metro could request it be unlocked and ZTE could decide to unlock, its matter of incentive really. Is it worth it for either one to invest the time/money (and potential customer service annoyance) to do it. What ZTE is saying is they aren't gonna put out the resources for it unless Metro requests (pays for) it. Metro usually doesn't care one way or another when it comes to normal updates. Root/bootloader stuff is down at the bottom of their priorities list. If the manufacturer makes it available, fine with them (example: HTC Desire 626s). If not, fine with them also.

Reactions: Nintendo1889
Upvote 0
Its really both. Either one could make the call on that one. Metro could request it be unlocked and ZTE could decide to unlock, its matter of incentive really. Is it worth it for either one to invest the time/money (and potential customer service annoyance) to do it. What ZTE is saying is they aren't gonna put out the resources for it unless Metro requests (pays for) it. Metro usually doesn't care one way or another when it comes to normal updates. Root/bootloader stuff is down at the bottom of their priorities list. If the manufacturer makes it available, fine with them (example: HTC Desire 626s). If not, fine with them also.
Well..
Wal-Mart and T-Mobile now carry the device let's see if this moves ZTE in any way.. This phone is starting to spread.. and that's a good thing.. ;)

Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0
I don't mind not having root as long as I can sideload apps from apk. If I can't use titanium to move over 100 apps, at least I hope 6.0 os allows sideloading? With more storage on this low end phone there's less need for root to free up storage.

I seem to see many reviews go in either direction. I wonder if zte is astroturfing the really glowing ones.

Upvote 0
I don't mind not having root as long as I can sideload apps from apk. If I can't use titanium to move over 100 apps, at least I hope 6.0 os allows sideloading? With more storage on this low end phone there's less need for root to free up storage.

I seem to see many reviews go in either direction. I wonder if zte is astroturfing the really glowing ones.

When it comes to this device when you first set it up.. it gives you the chance to set up eternal as internal. When you can get a class10 128 or 256 @ Walmart for les then 40$ its a good deal...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nintendo1889
Upvote 0
Ok I now have the stylo 2 and so far so good..paid $129 plus tax and received a free leather folio case. The phone is super thin and light. I also feel the fluid response over the stylo 1. Octa core at 1.4 feels nice. Im about to root this bad boy and see whats inside this device. I'll post later after im rooted. Good luck zte fans on accomplishing root.

Upvote 0
Why Me..? :cool:
Not 10 days after I return my LG Stylo 2 Plus to Walmart to purchase the Zmax Pro.. They have a working T.W.R.P. image.. Execute SuperSu in T.W.R.P.. and Bam you have Root Access. Xposed Modules are humming along as well.. :(

Does the superior Speed, Power, Screen and most importantly Price ( at least for me, as I only paid $39.99 for my Zmax Pro with the Number Port Promo ) and perhaps never achieving Root with our Zmax Pros'.. out weigh owning a slightly inferior phone in the Stylo 2 Plus.. that has achieved that oh so precious Root Access that we all are praying for? Does this not mean that it's *ZTE* that's preventing the bootloader from being unlocked on Zmax Pro's.. since the MetroPCS Stylo 2 Plus can obtain Root..?

Time to sell? Time to own "Two" devices? Do you even care what's up with the Stlyo 2 Plus.. Please weigh in with your thoughts...... :cool:
you've always been so negative on the zmax pro topics mannn

Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones