• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about this the other day. I currently have a WinMo phone, and have a couple movies on it, but rarely watch them (just in case of extreme boredom). However, I have converted them to 320x240, the screen size, to save space on the storage card. I was thinking with the Evo, i would start converting movies to the screen size, 800x480. But then i remembered about the hdmi output. While we don't yet know if it will support 720p or full 1080p, storing a full movie at either of those resolutions will take up a lot of space. Taking this phone to a friends house and being able to plug in and watch a HD movie will be sweet, but with storage being an issue, I may only put one full length HD movie on it for this purpose, and convert the rest to 800x480.

I thought 720p was down in stone. but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
I was just thinking about this the other day. I currently have a WinMo phone, and have a couple movies on it, but rarely watch them (just in case of extreme boredom). However, I have converted them to 320x240, the screen size, to save space on the storage card. I was thinking with the Evo, i would start converting movies to the screen size, 800x480. But then i remembered about the hdmi output. While we don't yet know if it will support 720p or full 1080p, storing a full movie at either of those resolutions will take up a lot of space. Taking this phone to a friends house and being able to plug in and watch a HD movie will be sweet, but with storage being an issue, I may only put one full length HD movie on it for this purpose, and convert the rest to 800x480.

agreed. this is where streaming services like netflix or slingbox will come in. not sure how much space the average HD movie takes up but you might be able to just be able to pop in different SD cards that hold a movie or so when you want to do that.

Upvote 0
Whats this?????!!!

4535122675_7e63804cf6_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Bill became a guide! Congrats Bill!
Congrats Bill.

As for the rest of you EVO's and EVOettes, He's a mini me of me.
Be afraid, be very afraid. MUWHAHAHAHAHA :D

But in all honesty, I do not know if I should be happy for him or sad. :D Being a Guide is rough. lol

TS out (taking a vacation and letting bill do some work) :p

Reactions: Novoken
Upvote 0
It's funny how apple says htc is taking this and that but from watching that sense video about the incredible , when he mentioned the folders apple is just now doing that in their new os . and it's a couple standard features that apple is just now adding . their actually late in the game if you ask me . just the word apple is such a hype . the newest thing is there design and os . but phone itself i mean what ?! they have very unique ways of sharing info and saying things like it's such a big oww and ahh . apple sauce lols

Upvote 0
Sounds like this should be in its own topic, but I'll add my 2 cents here and humbly ask that a mod move my post to the new topic if one is created.

1. I've been thinking of putting a drop down DVD player in our SUV for the kiddos to watch movies on. Well, I'm a tech junkie, and a drop down DVD player is old news. The new idea was a custom mount for an iPad. If I went this route, I could use the wifi hotspot on my Evo for iPad online games, and surfing the internet (in addition to having movies for the kids to watch) instead of spending the extra coin on a 3G iPad and paying AT&T for access. Another way the Evo could be used though, is to have a small drop down LCD monitor, and just have the Evo displaying movies on this screen in 720p glory through its HDMI output. I could get a pretty big monitor in the car for less than what a decent drop down DVD player goes for.

2. Watching movies. I have a decent collection of HD movies that I have converted to digital format. I'll be watching these movies on my Evo, as well as have to ability to take a movie or TV show to a friend's house and play it on their HDTV.

3. Wifi hotspot. My wife has an iPhone. Contract not up until next year. I'll just have her connect to my phone for 4G speeds (once we get it later this year).

4. Logmein. I can access my home computer, and actuallly have a screen large enough to see what I'm doing.

Other ideas spring up daily. Can't wait to use this phone to its full potential.

Legacy,

Now that's what I'm talking about!

You gave me few great ideas I had not even considered yet. For me your best idea is #1... #2 I'm right there with you... #3 I would adapt for my son who has a iPod Touch and wonders why he can't check the weather app when he's not at home (he is 8yrs. old)... #4 Great way to make use of the 4.3" TFT screen (I think TFT has been confirmed right?)

Thank you.

Upvote 0
This is interesting from the review:

Another somewhat major issue that we struggled with on the Incredible (just as we did on the Nexus One) was the awful screen visibility in bright daylight. We had numerous occasions where we simply could not answer a call or take a picture due to the AMOLED display's poor showing outdoors. In overcast settings (such as the one above) it was usually bearable, and If you crank the brightness all the way up on sunnier days you can get some visibility, though once you're outside and can't see the display, that's a bit of a challenge. In all honesty, we love certain aspects of these screens, but we're perplexed as to why HTC continues to use this same display when it's clear the daylight performance is hamstrung.

Wow no thanks verizon, I'll stick with my Evo, I can see the screen outdoors then lol

Yeah, I had thought the LCD on the EVO was a downside compared to the AMOLED screen on the Incredible.

Another thing I found interesting in that they loved the Incredible's built-in speaker. Does the EVO have the same/comparable speaker?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones