• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, obviously I'm new to this forum.

Just wanted to say that the amount of info that's been given by the members of this forum is great & greatly appreciated.

I am currently with Verizon right now (I wont tell you what phone because im embarrassed) but waiting for the EVO to drop so I can drop VZW. I must admit that when the INC pre orders became available I was very tempted, but I've been following the Supersonic/EVO since last year and made up my mind that if this phone is real then its going to be my next phone. Well we all know its real and my want for the EVO is still as strong. The wait is not very fun though.
Welcome pablo.station. I'm glad you decided to join us. Obviously, you're one of the smart ones I was referring to in a previous post. Don't think you're all alone either... I'll bet a lot of Verizon customers will be jumping ship when the EVO 4G becomes available.

Reactions: travisr528
Upvote 0
it's true, glitches out-the-gate will bring bad press to anything (nexus one 3g and screen issues?). however, if things are good to go, then a release should NOT be held back until after an iphone release date. iphone marketing will be huge and those waiting for that next superphone will be locked in to that at&t contract. if i recall correctly, at&t does NOT have a 30-day no-strings-attached trial period.

most of the people waiting for the evo will probably stay but those who are just testing the waters will still have a chance to defect to at&t.

with an early june release for the evo and an iphone press release and possible product release soon after, i think the best sprint can do is have another marketing blitz when a bit of the new iphone hoopla dies down, possibly comparing the two if you wanna get down to it.

and of course, that's if the iphone is still an exclusive with at&t.

and yes, while there are still a few things to be revealed about the evo, there's a whole lot of things to be revealed about the upcoming iphone. the iphone leak only had physical characteristics which can still be changed and doesn't include specifics. the iphone's os4 has been revealed, but no body has been able to put 2 and 2 together to see what the upcoming iphone will really be able to do.

new iphone buzz is already killing the evo buzz.

Upvote 0
The biggest problem I see if they would decide not to release until July or August is just the speed with which other carriers could bring new products to market. By July or August there could be a phone ready for Verizon or AT&T that could have the same or better specs than the EVO. Several months is a long time when dealing with technology.
Hello, Lindseybp. Welcome. I have everyone against me when I talk about a summer release instead of a spring release, but I'm only offering a contrasting opinion to stimulate conversation. It seems like I've hit an open nerve, but this is how I really feel.

Upvote 0
but I'm only offering a contrasting opinion to stimulate conversation. It seems like I've hit an open nerve, but this is how I really feel.
As well you should billsmed, I think this forum can handle this conversation in an adult manner. Thanks for adding value to this forum, keep up the good work and I like the new double tags.

Upvote 0
Stressing a later release date hasn't made me very popular today, but I knew it wouldn't. I just thought something had to be said to those pushing for a "May" release.

You just said what everyone is fearing. A lot of rumor is floating to a June release. And like the Sprint site says coming Summer 2010. That can be from June 21 to September 23, if you go by a calendar of course.

Upvote 0
Do you know, I hadn't really thought of it like that before? I imagine that they're just really concerned about trying to get the 3G/4G transitions working cleanly and efficiently--that is a big, big deal. Also, they were working on improving 720p quality, too, which is another thing that the Incredible lacks.

Someone will find a way to enable 720p on the Incredible.

It's the same chipset, same software essentially, and probably the same camera.

They probably just didn't enable it out of the box to give the EVO a different spec set.

Once I get my Incredible, I'll wait and see if someone roots it to enable this, if they do, I will follow suit and post the results here.

Reactions: Norril
Upvote 0
You just said what everyone is fearing. A lot of rumor is floating to a June release. And like the Sprint site says coming Summer 2010. That can be from June 21 to September 23, if you go by a calendar of course.
Yup. The "official" release is "summer". The "rumored" release date is June 6/13. Right now, I'm going with the official release date and hope for the best.

Upvote 0
Stressing a later release date hasn't made me very popular today, but I knew it wouldn't. I just thought something had to be said to those pushing for a "May" release.

Well, technically, June 6th and 13 are not summer either since summer officially starts on the 21st :D.

SEE common sense prevails! Eraly summer would be june 21st if you wanna get technical.. aka the release date is unknown by ANYONE right now. NO one not even sprint knows the release date yet. Rumors are seriously pointing that they are TRYING for a may release date. I think the chance personally is a good 20% not much but to be completely honest big things come down right after memorial day weekend. Be awesome to have such a device to play with on memorial day weekend! But who knows NO ONE KNOWS. But all the date guessing is fun. Android forums should sponsor a guess the right date and win an evo contest lol

Upvote 0
Someone will find a way to enable 720p on the Incredible.

It's the same chipset, same software essentially, and probably the same camera.

They probably just didn't enable it out of the box to give the EVO a different spec set.

Once I get my Incredible, I'll wait and see if someone roots it to enable this, if they do, I will follow suit and post the results here.
They would probably be more interested in the Incredible thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones