• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...

Is there system in which wimax is being deployed other than population??

I live in Monmouth County NJ, and while you were showing testing of Sprints 4g coverage a few days ago you happened to show Red Bank, NJ which is not nearly as big of an area as any of the cities officially mentioned.

I guess my other question would be, with all points made FOR a May 22nd release, do you (or Bill or anyone that is on this bandwagon) have any points against it OTHER than Jackson or Self Praise?

Yes 4g will be rolled out based on where it will make the most money.. I have no points against any other date..

I have always like the 22nd as a date. Even before others thought it was a possibility base on info I had heard.

That date could be B.S. like all the other dates

Upvote 0
I could not find that on the map. Where is Milwaukee again?

Too small for Sprints map. I work in Milwaukee - so I would hope that would be covered by years end, but not really an issue for me. My interest is mainly due to the larger screen (eyes are going) and the fact that Sprint will cost me about $130 compared to AT&T $200 a month for two EVO VS two iPhones. I can do just about everything I want to with an EVO compared to an iPhone, so I'm good! :)

Upvote 0
Sorry about going against what you've been saying. You know I love you, but I'm sticking with May 22nd.

haha love you too Bill, if someone didn;t go against the grain once and a while than this thread would not be half the fun. Could you give me some insight where you getting the day of the 22 from? I said it was possible that it could be moved up, infact it may even me likely, but i was thinking somewhere around labor day. Maybe explaining your 22nd reasoning could help clear some things up for me?

Jackson

Upvote 0
Eieio, with the Sprint phones roaming on Verizon's towers for free and the EVO being able to switch back and forth from 4g to 3g.. Will it still be able to roam on their towers under 3g? Also how strong is a 4g signal from a tower? Distance wise how far away can the average user expect to still have coverage?

3g roaming will remain the same..

The 4g signal stuff was answered by RiverofIce in another wimax thread Bill started, I really do not have technical 4g answers it is just not my thing

Upvote 0
what if.....

on may 12th or whenever that nyc-flipping-wimax-switch date is, is when they suddenly announce that the evo will go on sale IMMEDIATELY?

if all shipments are already in place by then, they could've put a notice to be on sale on may 22, or june 6, or whenever....followed with a "unless further notified".

wouldn't that be sweet?

what if.... the real surprise is, that the phone is for free as long as you sign up for a 2 yr contract???

There's being hopeful and then there's lack of common sense. I mean, seriously?

Upvote 0
Too small for Sprints map. I work in Milwaukee - so I would hope that would be covered by years end, but not really an issue for me. My interest is mainly due to the larger screen (eyes are going) and the fact that Sprint will cost me about $130 compared to AT&T $200 a month for two EVO VS two iPhones. I can do just about everything I want to with an EVO compared to an iPhone, so I'm good! :)

Like I said earlier if your on Sprint and thought the Incredible sounded good. Then The EVO is for you.. If you get 4g then its a plus..

I can not think of a single reason to switch to verizon. The EVO will have better specs and cheaper plan pricing.. If and when you get 4g it will be icing on the cake

Upvote 0
@eieio,

I'm feeling the pressure of the 23 minute time limit and I'm drawing a blank, even though I have a million questions.
1) Some people have been asking about battery life today. Can you tell us anything about that?
2) You mentioned the possibility of a different chip (I think). I know the Qualcomm 1.3 MHz Snapdragon went to manufacturing in January. I believe that chip will allow for better battery consumption. Do you care to comment on this?
3) When you laid out your reasons for releasing the EVO 4G on May 22nd, you said you had more to add. Do you care to add anything else on that subject before you leave?

Thanks,

Bill

Upvote 0
Like I said earlier if your on Sprint and though the Incredible sounded good. Then The EVO is for you.. If you get 4g then its a plus..

I can not think of a single reason to switch to verizon. The EVO will have better specs and cheaper plan pricing.. If and when you get 4g it will be icing on the cake

For me the phone is icing on my cake...heck I'm still using a RAZR....I'm getting a super major upgrade either way! :D

Reactions: eieio
Upvote 0
haha love you too Bill, if someone didn;t go against the grain once and a while than this thread would not be half the fun. Could you give me some insight where you getting the day of the 22 from? I said it was possible that it could be moved up, infact it may even me likely, but i was thinking somewhere around labor day. Maybe explaining your 22nd reasoning could help clear some things up for me?

Jackson
I outlined why I think the EVO 4G will be released May 22nd in this thread and I combined my thoughts in the poll. Right now, the poll is pretty even, but my thoughts are laid out there. Pretty interesting to see people's reactions considering I'm only moving the release date forward 2 weeks from what you've been saying. Just this week, we learned about the Apple conference from June 7 -11 which makes your dates sound like a disaster to me. May 22nd would be much, much better for media coverage and buzz.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones