• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several different version of android on several handsets makes it difficult for developers to build for them all. In a nut shell. :D

1.5 1.6 2.0 2.1 etc

Yep. I think they are divorcing the kernel from the other components so that different parts can be updated without a whole new build being needed.

Upvote 0
one thing i've heard about 2.2 is that it will address some things with android regarding "fragmentation"....what exactly is this "fragmentation"...i've read that it's a common knock against the android OS...can anyone shed any light on this for me....grassy ass in advance

Google's Solution to Android Fragmentation: Break It Apart - Android - Gizmodo

Basically it's different phones on different versions of Android. Makes it so the phones on older versions can't always use all of the Apps or features available to the phones with the newer versions of Android on them.

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
So I finally went by a Radioshack to eyeball the WinMo sister of our phone....

It's a big phone. It's not that much bigger then the iPhone but it is certainly larger feeling... I know there is no way to put a 4.3" screen in a smaller body.

Radioshack only had crummy dummy phones though, no working models. So i wasn't able to see the quality of the phone at all, which probably would have helped a lot. I kinda wish I hadn't even gone to look at it.

It's a really big phone, and with nothing to look at but a beat-up fake phone it was almost repelling.

It's going to be good to see a working model I think. I still really wish it had an OLED screen though. My friend's incredible has such a gorgeous screen on it :(

You may want to stop by your local T-Mobile locations. All the ones I've been to have 2-3 live HD2s you can play with. Funny thing is none of them have them in stock and they have a waiting list. So it seems to me that a lot of people like the HD2 in spite of the size and WinMo.

I hope Sprint can keep a good supply of EVOs in the pipeline.

Upvote 0
I just have to say it.

I have been here since the start and I am sad to see them all leave. I learned more about a lot of things from all of the members that were called "insiders." From WIMAX to LTE. Android to Ram, Rom and on and on. Having followed the thread from the start I can honestly say that they are all cool people and at times they may have allowed their passion for this subject to get the best of them. Thats it. I think that the EVO is such a unique device that it invokes a level of passion in people that they may not realize they even have. So with that said. Let's all keep in mind that things have calmed down and it is nice to be able to converse with out the "fear" of being flamed or beaten down about our opinion or grammar. In the end it's just a phone. AN AMAZING PHONE but just a phone.

Please do not read anything into this post. It is not a shot at anyone. Not a hidden message or putdown. Just a thoughtful thank you to Bill for starting this thread and a thank you to all of the great members that have made it great and all of the new members that will continue to do so. ;)

Upvote 0
You may want to stop by your local T-Mobile locations. All the ones I've been to have 2-3 live HD2s you can play with. Funny thing is none of them have them in stock and they have a waiting list. So it seems to me that a lot of people like the HD2 in spite of the size and WinMo.

First time I played with that HD2 at a TMo store a while back, I was hooked. Love my DI but that screen on the HD2...all I can say is wow!

Upvote 0

maybe i'm a germaphobe but i really hate handling those display demo phones - especially in those ghetto T-Mobile stores. every display unit is covered in filth and KFC grease. i feel like i have to go home a take a shower after touching one. and the people in those stores - employees and customers alike - it's like the friggin star wars bar in there.

Upvote 0
I love the Incredible screen ... right up until I take a step outside. The phone is all but unusable in moderate to direct sunlight. Its a drawback I could learn to live with if I had to, but I'm looking forward to having the EVO to compare. The Incredible also has a pinkish hue, which isn't debilitating, but is sort of annoying. AMOLED and TFT each have their pluses and minuses.

does any display look great in bright sunlight? and does not a quick tilt of the device correct this? my OEM Lexus NAV display has a tilt feature for this very reason.

Upvote 0
I just have to say it.

I have been here since the start and I am sad to see them all leave. I learned more about a lot of things from all of the members that were called "insiders." From WIMAX to LTE. Android to Ram, Rom and on and on. Having followed the thread from the start I can honestly say that they are all cool people and at times they may have allowed their passion for this subject to get the best of them. Thats it. I think that the EVO is such a unique device that it invokes a level of passion in people that they may not realize they even have. So with that said. Let's all keep in mind that things have calmed down and it is nice to be able to converse with out the "fear" of being flamed or beaten down about our opinion or grammar. In the end it's just a phone. AN AMAZING PHONE but just a phone.

Please do not read anything into this post. It is not a shot at anyone. Not a hidden message or putdown. Just a thoughtful thank you to Bill for starting this thread and a thank you to all of the great members that have made it great and all of the new members that will continue to do so. ;)
Actually i have to agree here! I have not said alot one way or the other as all the people have contributed in one way or the other. As a very passionate tech person I understand getting lost in the rush. Let's stop doing innduendos for or against either site and just get a long.

Upvote 0
Sooner the better for me but I think my Premier rebate says June 1st as of now so any time before that is out. I want the Evo on launch day but not enough to spend another couple hundred bucks to get it a week early.

come on - you don't think they'll cut you some margin for a couple of weeks? i'm Premier and June 1 too. we June Premiers are now HOME FREE baby!!!!!!!!

p.s. the administrator of this site really needs to work on server reliability. this crashing X times a day is really annoying!

Upvote 0
Yep - I bumped a thread about it, earlier this week. Was originally planning on attending, but the girlfriend's grandmother is in the hospital and won't be with us much longer.

So I'm most likely taking a pass, but a few pals in the area are most likely still going to attend. Told 'em if they do go, to be sure to find the HTC guy and steal, err, take some pictures of the Evo, if he happens to have one on hand.

WTF? girlfriend's grandmother? how dare you let that get in the way of getting us info on the EVO!

Upvote 0
maybe i'm a germaphobe but i really hate handling those display demo phones - especially in those ghetto T-Mobile stores. every display unit is covered in filth and KFC grease. i feel like i have to go home a take a shower after touching one. and the people in those stores - employees and customers alike - it's like the friggin star wars bar in there.
and you felt we should know this because.....? it adds :thinking: to the conversation?

Upvote 0
I just have to say it.

yea. those were the good 'ol days. i remember when there was no more than 20 people in this thread. everything was great. then people starting to argue with facts and all hell broke loose. oh well. *returns to lurking*

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones