• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Extended Batteries

The issue I have with doing that is I just purchased the Otterbox Defender case with holster, (I won't put my phone in my pocket) and it would be a real pain to have to swap batteries. My battery life is horrible. I guess I need to do some tweaking or something.

While the battery life on most smartphones is pretty poor, rather than have a fat battery and ugly cover, I just carry a spare charged battery. I need to use it about once a week.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to do that instead of using an extended battery?

Just buy a spare battery and change batteries if you run out. That's what I did with my S2 and that approach served me well for two years.

Upvote 0
Although not an extended battery but a 2600mAh Flash Charger it could be another option at $12.00. I was wondering if anyone knew about the manufacturer or the place its being sold at.

Thinking about going this way since I already bought the Otterbox Navigator and doubt any of the extended batteries will fit in the case or holster.

2600mAh Flash Charger for Cell Phones and Tablets - Assorted Colors | nomorerack.com

Upvote 0
Although not an extended battery but a 2600mAh Flash Charger it could be another option at $12.00. I was wondering if anyone knew about the manufacturer or the place its being sold at.

Thinking about going this way since I already bought the Otterbox Navigator and doubt any of the extended batteries will fit in the case or holster.

2600mAh Flash Charger for Cell Phones and Tablets - Assorted Colors | nomorerack.com

If u are looking for a small and portable charger on the move,I believe u have more options and could probably go for a slightly higher capacity like 3600mah without feeling the bulge in ur bag or if u put it in ur pockets.Shouldnt be difficult if u browse around in the internet for online stores.

Upvote 0
I emailed the address given on this page:
ZeroLemon

My message:

"I would like to know when a Zerolemon extended battery + case will be available for the Galaxy S4.

Do you have any information regarding this that you are allowed to release?"

I got a response early this morning, saying:

"Hi

Thanks for your interest.*
This will be available in next 2 weeks.

Please check here periodically for availability: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_wireless?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=ZeroLemon&node=2335752011"

Upvote 0
What I use is something like this:
5V 2A Mobile Power Supply USB Battery Charger 18650 Box for iPhone Cell Phone | eBay (there are heaps of different ones on Ebay)

This means that my cellphone is just as slim and light as ever, but I can charge my phone anywhere and any time. I can charge my phone in my tent overnight while camping - no problem using my phone to read a book in the evening while camping for a few days.

These portable charging boxes come without batteries and you can buy whatever 18650 (same size as inside of most laptop batteries) cells you like, I'll get some new Panasonic 3,400mAh cells at some point so that I have more juice in my charger. I will be able to recharge my phone from dead flat to full at least 4x.

I also use a ummm, one of these: USB Data/Charging Extension Cable for Samsung P1000 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
This little device makes my phone think it is connected to a charger rather than a computer so it wont limit the charge rate to 0.5A.
It probably isn't vital but I sometimes want to get the phone charged up quicker.

So maybe someone can enlighten me as to the advantage of using an extended battery case as opposed to just taking a portable phone charger?

Upvote 0
What I use is something like this:
5V 2A Mobile Power Supply USB Battery Charger 18650 Box for iPhone Cell Phone | eBay (there are heaps of different ones on Ebay)

This means that my cellphone is just as slim and light as ever, but I can charge my phone anywhere and any time. I can charge my phone in my tent overnight while camping - no problem using my phone to read a book in the evening while camping for a few days.

These portable charging boxes come without batteries and you can buy whatever 18650 (same size as inside of most laptop batteries) cells you like, I'll get some new Panasonic 3,400mAh cells at some point so that I have more juice in my charger. I will be able to recharge my phone from dead flat to full at least 4x.

I also use a ummm, one of these: USB Data/Charging Extension Cable for Samsung P1000 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
This little device makes my phone think it is connected to a charger rather than a computer so it wont limit the charge rate to 0.5A.
It probably isn't vital but I sometimes want to get the phone charged up quicker.

So maybe someone can enlighten me as to the advantage of using an extended battery case as opposed to just taking a portable phone charger?

-If you use your phone a lot and you don't want to have it tied to a battery back.
-You don't want to worry about your phone dying if you aren't paying attention to it's battery level
-You use battery draining features such as tethering and you don't want an extra thing to worry about (keeping your phone connected to an external battery when it needs more power)
-You don't want to have to charge an extra device to keep the other device alive.
-You don't to carry an extra device with you everywhere you go.
-You don't want to risk the chance of you forgetting to grab your extra battery device and ending up with a dead phone while you're out.

Upvote 0
I completely fail to see the appeal of extended batteries.

Just buy a spare battery and tame it with you. Doing this is cheaper, will instantly double your battery life and won't affect which cases you can use. Also your phone won't be an ugly fatso.

There is no need to be calling defenseless phones hateful names. ;-)

For some, having a single extended battery is preferable to having to remember to keep a spare battery charged, or having to grab it on the way out ...or remember to unload it so it doesn't go through the laundry.

There are some who simply do not want to have to open/change out battery/restart phone in the middle of something. Others still are trying to squeeze every bit of use from their phone while away from an outlet, and may opt for an extended battery ....and carry a spare extended battery!

It's a personal preference. Please don't disparage those who choose a different path.

Reactions: SubaruB4
Upvote 0
There is no need to be calling defenseless phones hateful names. ;-)

For some, having a single extended battery is preferable to having to remember to keep a spare battery charged, or having to grab it on the way out ...or remember to unload it so it doesn't go through the laundry.

There are some who simply do not want to have to open/change out battery/restart phone in the middle of something. Others still are trying to squeeze every bit of use from their phone while away from an outlet, and may opt for an extended battery ....and carry a spare extended battery!

It's a personal preference. Please don't disparage those who choose a different path.

I'm a delivery driver for UPS so keeping a spare with me is not really a good option for me since dispatch calls a lot or other drivers call to meet up to share work.. I don't want to risk missing a call during a battery change.

Also areas were some of the routes are have little to no cell service so the battery drains much quicker...

Upvote 0

I think I saw that this morning but I was unsure if it was good or not.. I might wait 2 weeks after I have the phone.. already spent around $500 on Amazon this morning..

I got this car dock but I know that extended battery will not fit it.

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S4 Car Mount Dock With Built In Charger - Case Compatible Design: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones