• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you consider getting a Droid Razr over the Nexus if Verizon offered the Razr for $50 when you return your original droid and sign a 2 year contract?

PS while I was writing this my OG droid just reset itself, which it doesn't do very often. Maybe it knows I'm chatting about new phones.

What's $250 over the course of 24 months? Just a little more than $10/month. Not worth it IMO.

Upvote 0
Would you consider getting a Droid Razr over the Nexus if Verizon offered the Razr for $50 when you return your original droid and sign a 2 year contract?

PS while I was writing this my OG droid just reset itself, which it doesn't do very often. Maybe it knows I'm chatting about new phones.

Nope - I need something I can be happy with for the next two years.

Reactions: MoPhoMan
Upvote 0
I think I'd prefer to go to the store to get it, only because our doorman stinks. We've had stuff stolen before because he'll sign for it and then place it on the desk and walk down the street for lunch.

I've been lurking for lord knows how long because I didn't feel like I had anything useful to post. I will, however, introduce myself. I currently live in Chicago (which is why I'm quoting you Hans, but I'll get to that later) and I'll be coming from a Motorola Triumph.

It doesn't surprise me that people are noticing heat come from the phone. My Triumph will randomly heat up at times and figured it was a Motorola thing. Also, this phone sucks. I went from ATT and the iPhone 4 to Virgin Mobile/Moto Triumph. Worst decision ever. I enjoy the Android OS but this phone is horrifically built and the service is even worse. iPhone 4S came out and I wasn't impressed so I decided to wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

Hans---> It's funny that you mentioned your doorman. I live in downtown as well and work up north in the Waukegan area...by the time I reach home, the receiving room at my apartment closes for the day (6:30PM). I reach there at about 6:35PM. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING.

Upvote 0
I don't think that any single android phone will sell as well as the OG droid. When the Droid was first introduced, it was the only real iphone competior on VZW and after the failure that was the Storm, people at Verizon were dying for something new. Now there are bucket loads of smartphone options just in the Android ecosystem. The galaxy line of phones are selling very very well, but even there, no single model comes close to the numbers the iphone or droid put up.

goodpoint....

Upvote 0
I've been lurking for lord knows how long because I didn't feel like I had anything useful to post. I will, however, introduce myself. I currently live in Chicago (which is why I'm quoting you Hans, but I'll get to that later) and I'll be coming from a Motorola Triumph.

It doesn't surprise me that people are noticing heat come from the phone. My Triumph will randomly heat up at times and figured it was a Motorola thing. Also, this phone sucks. I went from ATT and the iPhone 4 to Virgin Mobile/Moto Triumph. Worst decision ever. I enjoy the Android OS but this phone is horrifically built and the service is even worse. iPhone 4S came out and I wasn't impressed so I decided to wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

Hans---> It's funny that you mentioned your doorman. I live in downtown as well and work up north in the Waukegan area...by the time I reach home, the receiving room at my apartment closes for the day (6:30PM). I reach there at about 6:35PM. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING.

Welcome to our little family!

I did the same thing!

Upvote 0
I don't think that any single android phone will sell as well as the OG droid. When the Droid was first introduced, it was the only real iphone competior on VZW and after the failure that was the Storm, people at Verizon were dying for something new. Now there are bucket loads of smartphone options just in the Android ecosystem. The galaxy line of phones are selling very very well, but even there, no single model comes close to the numbers the iphone or droid put up.

I'd be interested to see numbers on the Droid Incredible compared to the OG Droid...

But, I agree there are too many "good" options at this point.

Upvote 0
I'd be interested to see numbers on the Droid Incredible compared to the OG Droid...

But, I agree there are too many "good" options at this point.

Not exactly what you asked, but my point is made.

NexusOne_Day74_SalesComparison.png

Upvote 0
FYI:
I've researched and found the corporate names and contact info. Maybe a few of you could contact some of them and ask for more information. I have written to Mari Walden, Vice President and Chief Marketing officer. Here is what I wrote her:

Ms. Walden,
I'm writing to you to find out when you intend to announce and release the Galaxy Nexus. As I'm an sure you are aware, this device is generating a lot of excitement among your client base. While the average Joe may not know it's coming, those of us in the technology sector are EXTREMELY excited about it. I am well aware of the Droid Razr by Motorola and HTC Rezound, however, as a customer I am truly excited about being part of the true Google Experience that a Nexus device brings. Please take a quick look a just ONE thread regarding this phone:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...7-release-date-per-our-vzw-source-11-9-a.html

There are more than 26,800 posts about this phone and over a half of million hits speculating about it. I know that marketing this phone in it's proper time is important, but a little bit of information will go a long way.

Sincerely,
xxxx xxxxx
Customer since 2000

Here is the page where you can find all Executive Leadership:

Executive Leadership Team

Be polite and see if that gets us anywhere.

Upvote 0
Friendly Mod Public Service Announcement

Can I get an Amen! from the choir that we are all here because we are all ardent Android fans? I'll bet I can. :)

Ok - so here's the thing, please consider it well -

When we think we've found the perfect phone, we will often go out of our way to influence people to make the choice we've made or, horror of horrors, they'll make the wrong choice.

If someone were to make the perfect phone, we'd all buy it and then we'd meet again at the paradigm-shifting, ultra-digital furniture forum or something.

The hard truth is - there is no perfect phone, there is no best phone, and there never will be - there is only the phone that is best for you at a given point in time.

I dread living in a world where we all wear the same clothes, have the same thoughts and ideas - and all carry the same phone. I value making friends in the spirit of Will Rogers - there are no strangers, just friends I've not met yet.

And making derogatory remarks about other new Android phones, or giving them derogatory names, is actually the same as making derogatory remarks about the people who are considering them.

And that's not nice. It's called in-group/out-group. It's not nice at all.

I've mentioned this gently before, but effective now, this has got to be our new policy here.

Perfectly ok to continue to compare the strengths and weaknesses you see. Perfectly OK to have that winning Team Gnex spirit. But no more unsportsmanlike conduct, let's all rise above that.

Doing as I ask will keep us all together on Team Android first - remember what my dog always says: The makers and the carriers are not your friends - they are in a way your business associates. None of them are perfect - but Android friendship always is.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation here. :)

Upvote 0
So slightly off topicish but to all the people with OG Droids what are you gonna do with them when the gloriuosness of the Nexus arrives? I'm trying to find a ROM so I can turn it into a straight forward music player for a kid but I haven't had much success.

I don't see why you would need a ROM, my 8 yr old is using my wife's old Eris as a iPod type devide. It's rooted w/ stock and works great. It's perfect for him because he has a camera, video camera, and music player all in one. He takes it everywhere. I even got him some cheapy speakers from Amazon so he can play his music for his friends. Maybe becusee of the Sense it is easier to use w/out a ROM? Otherwise I don't think you need anything special. My 10 yr old has already claimed my DINC for the same use. He asks me everyday if my new phone is out yet??

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones