• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be right there with you. I bought the Rezound two days ago, but I think I should have gone with the Razr for exactly the reasons you mentioned. The higher rez screen of the Rezound is nice, but the blacks & color of the Razr are immediately obvious and very nice.

With what's going on with the Nexus, I think it's entirely possible I'll stick with the Razr (if I exchange it) and just wait for ICS. After seeing the new pix of the GNex, I think the Razr is much nicer looking.

I bet Nexus screen will be best of both Razr, Rezound. It has clarity of Rezound and deep black, richer color than Razr. And white looks better than other SAMOLED. And Nexus 5MP camera will beat 8MP camera of both R phones in speed and low light shooting.:D

Upvote 0
No, I too have been waiting for the Nexus, but that doesn't change my concern over Samsung hardware. Some here go in to the Nexus totally infatuated because of ICS and seem unwilling to look at some possible issues.

Yes, I too look forward to ICS, but I'm not blind to Samsung's history or my experience with Samsung hardware. My last venture into the world of Samsung was the Charge and it was, without a doubt, the worst cellphone experience I've ever had...and I surely was not alone in that feeling.

The issues I've brought up are fair (radios, GPS etc.) and IMO valid. Knowing my love for tech, I will more than likely still wind up with a GNex, but I sure won't be blind to issues either.

I think we'll have to wait and see how good/bad the Samsung hardware is when we all have the GNex in hand. I tend to give any phone the benefit of the doubt, and don't make assumptions of what it will be like based on previous phone experience, but to each his own. I personally think my OG Droid was one of the best phones ever made, and I have read horrible reviews from people on this forum about subsequent motorola phones, but that doesn't mean I would never buy a motorola again. We are all here to have an opinion - that's what makes the forum great.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
I will preface this by saying I'm NOT in any way interested in anything but the SGN...

So I finally stopped by the Verizon store today to check out the Razr and Rezound. Couldn't judge the feel due to the security connections, but I find the Razr very easy to hold and type with your thumbs in portrait mode due to how thin it is. Not much else impressed me about it. The UI seemed smooth, but the display...well...a bit grainy (I can tell it's pentile). The browser was crappy - real choppy viewing a desktop-style webpage and moving around within it (I used ESPN.com). The Rezound has an amaaaaazing display. Loved the crisp 720p true resolution, even though it's LCD. The UI, smooth as the Razr, maybe a little smoother. The browser? Same as the Razr. I sure hope the promise of hardware acceleration in ICS makes browsing smoother. I personally found these dual core phones to be disappointing from that aspect. Now, what really floored me was the RAM in the Rezound (admittedly didn't look at the Razr's RAM usage). I stumbled upon Sense's app manager (or whatever) and was shocked to see almost 700MB of RAM in use. :eek: The browser was using 100MB and there were a couple dozen other things running so I hit the Kill All button.

W...T...F...

With the RAM "cleared" out, this phone is using 484MB out of the gate with 343MB available. Are you kidding me? Is Sense THAT much of a pig, or is Android really using THAT much RAM? I sincerely hope this isn't the case in the SGN. This is exactly why I don't like bloating up the phones with custom UIs. Yeah, they're nice, but you can't remove them and putting a custom UI over top of it only serves to suck down more memory. Just my 2 cents. :)

Upvote 0
Okie dokie folks, I caved and picked up AC Revelations. Going to go knife unsuspecting individuals to let off some steam. I'm tired of spending countless hours on here F5ing with no real benefit. You're all very good company and whatnot, but it's time for a change of pace. See you at some point in the near future.

I'm trying not to cave and get that yet lol it's hard though!

Upvote 0
it could be worse guys.... you could get a heartbreaking realization like this

unfortunate.jpg

Upvote 0
No, I too have been waiting for the Nexus, but that doesn't change my concern over Samsung hardware. Some here go in to the Nexus totally infatuated because of ICS and seem unwilling to look at some possible issues.

Yes, I too look forward to ICS, but I'm not blind to Samsung's history or my experience with Samsung hardware. My last venture into the world of Samsung was the Charge and it was, without a doubt, the worst cellphone experience I've ever had...and I surely was not alone in that feeling.

The issues I've brought up are fair (radios, GPS etc.) and IMO valid. Knowing my love for tech, I will more than likely still wind up with a GNex, but I sure won't be blind to issues either.

Keep in mind Charge is still their last generation phone SGS with LTE added where most of those issue came. Sammy addressed those issues in Nexus S and SGSII. They no longer have GPS, radio issues like original SGS had.

Upvote 0
Cartman Voice:

You know, the Cheese Burger won't be out until next year and even then it will be in Beta form. You don't want it. Besides, it's going to be called the Pastrami Deluxe. And I won't even guarantee that next year date, because it's all Samsung's fault for it being late. And they're using the same lettuce on it as their other sandwiches, so it's likely to take 30 minutes before the crunchy kicks in. And the pickles have fewer outer ridges so the quality is much lower than pickles on many of today's better sandwiches. I wouldn't feel right putting you into a sandwich whose pickles won't do the job under low ketchup conditions.

Now, what will it take for me to get you out the door with a tasty McDroid Fishwich? It's our tastiest by far and supply is limited. If I can write you up on that today, I'll be able to throw in an insurance plan at full charge, before the prices go up.

Clock's ticking and time is money. You're not the kind of person to waste money are you?

You must have been listening to the sales person at the Verizon store when I asked about the GNEX! Interestingly enough, he kind of looked like Cartman.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Okie dokie folks, I caved and picked up AC Revelations. Going to go knife unsuspecting individuals to let off some steam. I'm tired of spending countless hours on here F5ing with no real benefit. You're all very good company and whatnot, but it's time for a change of pace. See you at some point in the near future.

Thanks for all the added value you've provided in this thread. Hope to see ya back soon.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I stopped into my local VZW store yesterday to scope things out. While I was checking out the RAZR and REZOUND, a salesman asked if I had any questions. I asked if he had heard anything about the GNEX release, and he smirked and kind of nodded. After stateing that he and a few other employees were equally stoked about the GNEX, he said that the delays were due to hardware issues, the latest of which had to do with the volume cutting out on calls. He reiterated that there is still no solid release date, as if to say "don't hold your breath".
He then sang the praises of the REZOUND over the RAZR (better camera, better screen, $100 earbuds).
Just thought I'd share.

The two sales guys I spoke with at two different VZW stores, one their head tech, both expressed a preference for the Razr based on their preference for Motorola hardware. But both are great and I have no real issues with the Rezound other than not liking Sense. I switched to Launcher but it doesn't seem to behave very well on the Rezound.

The weird thing about the Rezound & Razr cameras is that I've noticed there is considerable variation in the quality of the Razr cameras from sample to sample. A BB unit I tried had fantastic picture quality and one at a VZW store was pretty bad. I find although the camera on the Rezound is pretty good, the Rezound's camera uses too much edge enhancement that can be seen when you throw it on a computer.

I had a buddy over yesterday (he's looking to buy my Bionic) and we took the same pix with the Rezound & Bionic and we both came to the conclusion the Bionic actually had more 'real' detail and better PQ, without the phony edge enhancement. I'll have to try dropping the sharpness 1 notch on the Rezound to see if that gets rid of the EE.

Upvote 0
I will preface this by saying I'm NOT in any way interested in anything but the SGN...

So I finally stopped by the Verizon store today to check out the Razr and Rezound. Couldn't judge the feel due to the security connections, but I find the Razr very easy to hold and type with your thumbs in portrait mode due to how thin it is. Not much else impressed me about it. The UI seemed smooth, but the display...well...a bit grainy (I can tell it's pentile). The browser was crappy - real choppy viewing a desktop-style webpage and moving around within it (I used ESPN.com). The Rezound has an amaaaaazing display. Loved the crisp 720p true resolution, even though it's LCD. The UI, smooth as the Razr, maybe a little smoother. The browser? Same as the Razr. I sure hope the promise of hardware acceleration in ICS makes browsing smoother. I personally found these dual core phones to be disappointing from that aspect. Now, what really floored me was the RAM in the Rezound (admittedly didn't look at the Razr's RAM usage). I stumbled upon Sense's app manager (or whatever) and was shocked to see almost 700MB of RAM in use. :eek: The browser was using 100MB and there were a couple dozen other things running so I hit the Kill All button.

W...T...F...

With the RAM "cleared" out, this phone is using 484MB out of the gate with 343MB available. Are you kidding me? Is Sense THAT much of a pig, or is Android really using THAT much RAM? I sincerely hope this isn't the case in the SGN. This is exactly why I don't like bloating up the phones with custom UIs. Yeah, they're nice, but you can't remove them and putting a custom UI over top of it only serves to suck down more memory. Just my 2 cents. :)

It's not how much ram you use, it's how much have left over.

All you did by killing those tasks was to screw up Android's memory management scheme, possibly lowering response for the next guy. I really wish HTC didn't cowtow to marketing feedback and had just left that off.

If you see a laggy phone on display in any store, assume someone was messing with it before you and just reboot it.

I reboot phones before even bothering to check them out.

Sense 3 is not a pig and it runs _great_ on dual core phone with a gig of ram.

Sense 3, like ICS, is a large software stack, no doubt about it.

Just my two cents. :) ;)

Upvote 0

think about it this way. the thickness of a quarter (from heads to tails) is 1.75mm, the difference between the GSM and LTE model is less than one third of the thickness of a quarter.

No I know, the thickness I don't even think about nor care. It was a jest toward the "micron" comparo ;)

But thank you for another comparison. You explain well ; )

Reactions: lickwidravr
Upvote 0
I bet Nexus screen will be best of both Razr, Rezound. It has clarity of Rezound and deep black, richer color than Razr. And white looks better than other SAMOLED. And Nexus 5MP camera will beat 8MP camera of both R phones in speed and low light shooting.:D

That's what I'm thinking too. The camera quality remains to be seen (I have seen some good shots from it though), but my Canon HD videocamera makes it clear that some manufacturer's understand it's not all about the # of pixels.

Upvote 0

You must have the bad luck with Samsung devices that I have with Motorola. The folks I know with Samsung phones are quite happy, and the last phone I had before getting a smart phone was a Samsung flip phone that was a veritable tank. I think I could fire it up now and it'd just work, I'd gotten it to replace a Moto Razr that was just crap. It'd freeze up trying to get a text and give me tons of issues if I hit a roaming area.

My first OG Droid was a great phone, but did not survive a cousin's daughter dropping it into a fish tank. Replacement OG Droid worked ok, but had some issues with the GPS getting a lock, plus the phone would get rather warm if using the internet for more than five minutes or so. Digitizer when bad on that one, was given a DX as an insurance replacement. Quite possibly the worst phone I've ever had. I'm aware my DX is an anomoly, was about to return it or try another software package on it (my phone is so dysfunctional it won't pull either of the last two updates to fix freezes/crashes of which mine does at least once a day) when news of the SGII coming to Verizon first came out. Decided I'd just go with that based upon what I'd seen on friend's Charges and Fascinates (main complaint for them was battery life on the Charge but of the first round of LTE phones it tended to do the best on battery life). Then followed on to the Gnex after Verizon passed on the SGII.

At this point, Moto is dead to me and not being a fan of Sense, I'm reluctant to look at HTC phones. Leaves me with LG and Samsung pretty much.

Upvote 0
I was in verizon today and put the op of this thread on every bionic, rezound ,& razr I got my hands on. Not sure why, but I was amused when every clueless customer and employee picked one up. I overhheard an old lady ask" what's this samsung? " as she played with a rezound. "Um, we don't carry that one ma'am "

I wasn't overly impressed by either one by the way. Just want my nexus

Upvote 0

From what I've been reading it sounds like the fast shutter speed is mostly from software and not hardware. Given that people really like the Rezound's camera (apparently it's the same as the myTouch 4g slide's?), I wonder, will it surpass that of the GNex once it gets ICS?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones