• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Netflix in Market for Evo 4g 2.x

Yeah I had it on my evo as well and I actually just went to use it and it wouldn't work?! I searched it in the market and its gone! Before I updated on Friday too gingerbread it worked wonderful on my evo 4g 3g and wifi all of them streamed awesome!! But now that I updated to 2.3 no netflix in market :( :( :( I hope they get it fixed soon!!!!

Upvote 0
EVO support has been removed while Netflix works on the app. If you read the description the EVO is no longer listed.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result

Click on More and it lists the supported devices.

I noticed it was missing as well... My question is thou, now that the download is not listed as supported for evo, does that mean that all those who had downloaded it previously cant run it anymore? ....even if they didnt upgrade to 2.3?

Then, if the original version does work for those that reviously dl'd, would someone be able to post a .apk that works for us that didnt get to the download before netflix de-supported it?

Upvote 0
I noticed it was missing as well... My question is thou, now that the download is not listed as supported for evo, does that mean that all those who had downloaded it previously cant run it anymore? ....even if they didnt upgrade to 2.3?

I previously downloaded Netflix when it first became available to EVO. Not sure when it stopped working but when I tried to open it yesterday morning ( 6/6 before gingerbread update was installed) I received an error message that I needed to update netflix. but, netflix was no longer available in the Market. Yesterday afternoon I received the message that gb was available - I have updated. Still no netflix.

I was not previously and am not now rooted.

Upvote 0
This is getting to be crap! I pay every month they took forever to begin with but how did they not know about this update they should have figured this junk out before hand!! I travel a lot in the army and I really enjoyed netflix on my evo but now there starting to give me the feeling we may not get it back for quite some time if at all.... But the nexus 2.3 had gingerbread before and netflix got that to work so why is ours such a problem!? Our phone was made and out way before that so our troubleshooting for evos should be easier!!!

Upvote 0
This is getting to be crap! I pay every month they took forever to begin with but how did they not know about this update they should have figured this junk out before hand!! I travel a lot in the army and I really enjoyed netflix on my evo but now there starting to give me the feeling we may not get it back for quite some time if at all.... But the nexus 2.3 had gingerbread before and netflix got that to work so why is ours such a problem!? Our phone was made and out way before that so our troubleshooting for evos should be easier!!!

The problem with Android in general is that every manufacturer adds their own little things into it like HTC does with Sense and then every carrier adds in the things they want to Like Sprint does. The amount of configurations is pretty huge when you think about it and I sincerely doubt that HTC and Sprint made this Upgrade available to all of the developers out there. So it isn't necessarily Gingerbread that broke it, as you pointed out the Nexus S with Vanilla Gingerbread works just fine with Netflix as does the Nexus One I believe. My guess is that Netflix is working with the current ROM to fix it but who knows when it'll be fixed. I am not defending them because Sprint and HTC should have made sure the big companies Apps (like Netflix) worked with the new ROM and if not they should have notified Netlfix. But then again I am not sure how feasible it is for Sprint and HTC to check all the big Apps either. Again this is what gets frustrating for developers when they have to make sure dozens of devices with different specs and UI's work everytime they are updated and why Apple continues to keep top developers and get apps faster.

Upvote 0
^^^

Exactly. A big reason that the Droid OS is sexy when you think "it runs flash!!..it is open to ALL app makers!!..the hardware is awesome!!", but not sexy when you get it because you realize your battery drains fast, flash is being eradicated anyway, and the apps take forever to update with the OS.

Hmm I have to disagree with you on Flash being eradicated and apps taking forever to update. Also my battery did 34 hours before I plugged in over the past day and a half with moderate to heavy usage so battery use is getting better with every release. It all depends on the App developers to how quickly things come out, or should I say the developers dedication to the platform. I wasn't saying that iOS was better (it isn't) but the fact that they can do less work because of less device configs is attractive to them.

Upvote 0
Hmm I have to disagree with you on Flash being eradicated and apps taking forever to update. Also my battery did 34 hours before I plugged in over the past day and a half with moderate to heavy usage so battery use is getting better with every release. It all depends on the App developers to how quickly things come out, or should I say the developers dedication to the platform. I wasn't saying that iOS was better (it isn't) but the fact that they can do less work because of less device configs is attractive to them.

Well, every time my ipad updates my netflix app still works. So I feel the pain of everyone who can't use netflix on their EVO, myself included. It is unacceptable when you are paying for a streaming service that you want to use on your phone.

Flash is converting to ipad friendly format now. They lost that battle. So that means we win because flash sucks your battery down and is not optimal for mobile devices.

Upvote 0
Well, every time my ipad updates my netflix app still works. So I feel the pain of everyone who can't use netflix on their EVO, myself included. It is unacceptable when you are paying for a streaming service that you want to use on your phone.

Flash is converting to ipad friendly format now. They lost that battle. So that means we win because flash sucks your battery down and is not optimal for mobile devices.

Huh? What do you mean flash is converting to iPad friendly?

Upvote 0
You can google it for a better explanation than I can give you..lol. Regardless, flash will be working on ipads sooner than later, which means that it is finally going to be optimized better for mobile phones as well.

I have done a bunch of Google searches and can't find anything close to what you are implying. Maybe you can so a search and post a link for us? Everything I have read has stated that Apple will not allow Flash on it's mobile devices. Yes Adobe is working on power management and other things for mobile devices but you are connecting dots that aren't there. Power management is not the only issue Apple has with Flash.

Upvote 0
The problem with Android in general is that every manufacturer adds their own little things into it like HTC does with Sense and then every carrier adds in the things they want to Like Sprint does. The amount of configurations is pretty huge when you think about it and I sincerely doubt that HTC and Sprint made this Upgrade available to all of the developers out there. So it isn't necessarily Gingerbread that broke it, as you pointed out the Nexus S with Vanilla Gingerbread works just fine with Netflix as does the Nexus One I believe. My guess is that Netflix is working with the current ROM to fix it but who knows when it'll be fixed. I am not defending them because Sprint and HTC should have made sure the big companies Apps (like Netflix) worked with the new ROM and if not they should have notified Netlfix. But then again I am not sure how feasible it is for Sprint and HTC to check all the big Apps either. Again this is what gets frustrating for developers when they have to make sure dozens of devices with different specs and UI's work everytime they are updated and why Apple continues to keep top developers and get apps faster.

My question is why does HBO GO work fine and netflix doesn't? I don't think they are dedicating enough resources to android. Apple on the other hand gets plenty of attention.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones