• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official OTA Update Discussion

Upvote 0
I just ran the software update. It did its thing then rebooted the phone. Once it booted back up I got a message stating that the update was not applied. Im rooted...wonder if that messed it up??

it may be you never know how the updates are going to work with rooted phones if you keep seen this problem try odin and update im sure that will work.
good luck

Upvote 0
OK, manual update success. I can also confirm that the GPS locks on much, much faster now. GMaps locked on in less than 10secs. Using GPS Status, I also got a quick lock, followed by 10/10 satellites (something I'd never seen on JF6), however, the error oscillated between 10m & 15m... not so sure that'd be all that accurate for driving...

*Edit - not rooted, stock ROM

Upvote 0
i just manually downloaded whatever update AT&T had for my phone through the system menu. kernel 2.6.29 . I897UCJH7. The media scan on a 16gb card is faster. i also inside i was able to find 5 satellites in about 20 seconds but unable to get a solid lock. I did get a lock for about a minute but my location was off by about a mile. Outside I got a lock in a few second but accuracy was only within 165 feet. Google maps was still tempermental and did appear to drop the satallittes after I switched over to text. Please not I had network location shut off.

Upvote 0
From the samsung usa facebook:

Samsung USA The Samsung Captivate's GPS performance update is now available!!! Look for a notification from AT&T & download the file to update your phone. This will be pushed OTA (over the air) by AT&T over the next few weeks, starting today.

The update also improves other functions, such as media scanning time, Microsoft Exchange 2003 policy support, and the full version of Quickoffice.
28 minutes ago

Upvote 0
The date-advance "trick" was working but I think they put an end to that. I'm in the same boat as you except I need to wait a week.

Who put and end to wait? The 24 hour waiting period is a feature of the Captivate's software only...nothing on AT&Ts end. :D

I'm sure you'll get the push sooner or later, but if not, just move your date forward a year and two days to try again...lol.

Reactions: ulsh72
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones