• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official unboxing/preview/review thread - post your finds here

If I get a car mount for this phone, I'm planning on it being positioned sideways (landscape) for better navigation. Isn't that the default/typical orientation for "car dock" mode anyway? If so, the cabling would come out the side and not the top. Still not sure it's the best place to put the port, but not the end of the world for me.

Well, when I "navigate" I turn the phone sideways in whatever mount I have but the 98% of the rest of the time when I am playing music or just waiting for a call or playing a podcast it sits upright/portrait.

If all you plan on using the phone for is navi that's fine, but most folks aren't using a GPS all that much except as a toy when it's new. That wears off real fast. Plus I do know how to get around my area where I spend 99.9% of my day. :)

It also is a much smaller footprint when portrait. Obviously that's how most people use most any phone most of the time if it is in a holder. A charger connection on the top is really dumb.

What difference would it have made if they put it on the bottom? Is there one negative to that? The phone could still sit in a dock in landscape just the working end would be on the other side.

Upvote 0
re: tv out

As for the tv out that is nice, but remember you are getting rca out so its not HD its regular tv quality. And if you turn on the TV out setting for the triple 3.5 adapter you most likely will need to turn that off so you can use headset w/mic. so remember that.

I am more interested to see the quality of DLNA out, that could perhaps be 720p which would be very impressive.

Upvote 0
Cool Graphics demonstration of the Captivate vs Droid X, EVO, N1. Captivate FTW!

I wish someone would put it up against the Iphone4 too. (Asphalt 5 game)

YouTube - Samsung Captivate benchmarks and graphics test

I think THAT RIGHT THERE just sold me. Until watching that video I considered the Captivate to be still a "settle on" phone compared to the bigger named ones out there. This video blew me away.

To be honest it was all about the camera for me. I was hoping I'd pay another $105 bucks (70 for the upgrade from Aria, 35 for the restock) and save myself from buying a really nice dedicated to compliment my travels. But you can't argue with performance like that. This phone apparently is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Makes it even stranger how they are going about not advertising or even talking about it cept on their facebook page!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones