• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Old 2.2.1

AndyOpie150

<strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
May 13, 2011
Florida
Had a friend that moved to T Mobile and the 4G Samsung Gallaxy II. Sold me his 2.2.1 V for $40.00. Good condition, no marks at all on it.
Slipped my uSD card into it from my good 2.2.1 and Installed the Gingerbreak.apk. Ran the exploit and was shocked. It took less than a minute to reboot this phone.
I'm thinking I got one of those rare perfect processors.
Installed the picasticks overclocking kernel and No-Frills CPU control.
Wow! 480MHz-844MHz on the stock ROM. Allllll riiiiiight.
On a custom ROM I'll be able to safely go to the highest max CPU setting whenever I want to.
Just had to share that. Wow!

Had a friend that moved to T Mobile and the 4G Samsung Gallaxy II. Sold me his 2.2.1 V for $40.00. Good condition, no marks at all on it.
Slipped my uSD card into it from my good 2.2.1 and Installed the Gingerbreak.apk. Ran the exploit and was shocked. It took less than a minute to reboot this phone.
On a custom ROM I'll be able to safely go to the highest max CPU setting whenever I want to.

Nice :D, my ZV4 phone is also a lucky one I can OC to 844MHz and no reboots...I never flashed any kernels on this phone...sooo lazy.

Upvote 0

My 2.2.1 is over a year old,it's set at 480min and 806max. It also boots very fast,I'm going to bump it up to 844 just to see what happens. It was stable at 806 never thought to try and go higher, how's your battery handling it?!

Upvote 0
I just wanted to see how high I could go mostly for playing Angry Birds and Escape 2012. When not playing games it goes back to 480-768 as this is where the best battery off charge times are (give or take a setting either Way) .
Now I'm going to put Bumblebee Resurrected on it as it's the fastest of the stable Froyo ROM's with everything working. This will be the ROM I use for dropping back to and seeing if a problem with a CM-7 or 9 is software or hardware related.
This was purchased as a spare for when my V finally gives out.
By the time both give out Virgin Mobile should have a good 4G phone at a decent price and the 4G network should be firmly established in my area.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to see how high I could go mostly for playing Angry Birds and Escape 2012. When not playing games it goes back to 480-768 as this is where the best battery off charge times are (give or take a setting either Way) .
Now I'm going to put Bumblebee Resurrected on it as it's the fastest of the stable Froyo ROM's with everything working. This will be the ROM I use for dropping back to and seeing if a problem with a CM-7 or 9 is software or hardware related.
This was purchased as a spare for when my V finally gives out.
By the time both give out Virgin Mobile should have a good 4G phone at a decent price and the 4G network should be firmly established in my area.

3G for metropcs has gotten a lot faster and stable since the last time I have been on 3G :) probably because everyone's switching to 4G :p which doesn't have unlimited plans..

Upvote 0

I thought you couldn't overclock stock ROM. When I go into No-Frills CPU control, the max setting is 600Mhz.

Upvote 0
Custom rom will make him lose apps and contacts .....well contacts are only lost if you never put them on your google account..

Happened to me too ^_^
So I typed in all of my contacts on Google Contacts on my laptop, deleted them from phone, and synced. Took forever, but worth it, in the end, in my opinion.
And couldn't he just backup his apps with Titanium Backup?

Upvote 0
AppTyrant will backup all installed apps in their .apk form to the SD card. It does not delete the old .apk from the SD card. If you update an app and it doesn't work you can now go to AppTyrant and install the old .apk over it.
Unless you want to pay for the premium version of Titanium Backup for the batch restore option ( Hangs on restore of some apps), then AppTyrant is the best option.
I use both. I use Titanium Backup to save the app data of three apps only (This keeps theTitanium Backup folder size on on tne SD card small), the rest of my apps don't need app data saved.

The backup made in the custom recovery is called a nandroid backup and is stored on the SD card in the clockworkmod folder. This is just like a restore point on a PC, a complete backup of everything.
You should backup all the contents of your SD card to your PC after you have made a nandroid. If you make any major changes or large updates of apps then make a new nandroid. The old nandroid can be deleted in the clockworkmod folder.
You can have as many nandroids as your SD can hold.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones