• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Online Nandroid Backup / Nandroid Backup without re-booting!

KrazeeCracker

Android Enthusiast
May 9, 2011
Florida
I pulled this from xda (Online Nandroid Backup / Nandroid Backup without re-booting - xda-developers)

This has been mentioned on XDA portal (front page), Xperia Play forum, Xperia Neo forum, PressByte, Android Club Philippines, Mobot.net, SonyEricsson World, iAndroid, gFan, PixelRant.com, rampacrew.it, Pinoy Droid Alliance and Xperia Mini & Mini Pro & Active Forum.

Nandroid backups are usually performed in recovery mode. This means you would have to turn off your phone and reboot in recovery mode, which wastes a whole lot of time rebooting and a lot more time offline. For me, this has been a killer as I do regular nandroid backups. Having to reboot in recovery and finding missed calls, sms from my wife and friends is totally not accepatable for me. So, I set to develop an online nandroid backup tool which can do nandroid backups without switching off my phone.

Today, I am releasing it to public, as it may serve good for some others too. Originally I developed this tool specifically for Xperia devices, but now I am releasing it for all android devices.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This tool backups /boot (from version 5) , /recovery (from version 5) , /wimax (from version 5) , /appslog (from version 5) , /system , /data , /cache , /datadata (from version 5) , .android_secure & sd-ext (from version 3) partitions to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory. The date format used for folder name is the same used by CWM itself and nandroid backups created with this tool can safely be restored using CWM. If you would want to have a custom name for backup folder, pass an argument with the name to the script and it will use the name.

Feedback (especially ideas to improve) are most welcome.

Requirements
1. Rooted android phone
2. A terminal emulator installed on phone
3. Busybox
4. A working CWM based recovery installed
5. Some patience

Installation
1. Download and copy zip file to SD card
2. Reboot into recovery
3. Choose install zip from SD card, select zip and flash .
4. Reboot!

Usage
1. Open terminal emulator
2. Type su to obtain root
3. Type onandroid
4. Wait and watch

Custom Backup Name
* Example:
Code:
onandroid custom_name
* Please be careful not to include characters not allowed in filenames.

Timezone modifier
* Example: Use home/phone timezone for backup file name
Code:
onandroid -h
* Example: Use UTC (default) for backup file name
Code:
onandroid -u
* Note: UTC is used as default (if no timezone modifier is passed). This is to comply with CWM nandroid backups.

If you are getting error mkyaffs2image not found in path, try fix tool in this post.

Change log
Code:
v1.0 - Initial release.
v1.1 - Bug Fix: incorrect implementation of help command.
1.2 - Bug Fix: changed script permissions from 777 to 755 Improvement: changed elapsed display of seconds only to minutes & seconds.
v1.3 - Bug Fix: error if /sbin/sh is not present (Reported by kamil004. Thanks!)
v2.0 - Fixed: various bugs and re-organized script. Added: timezone modifier. Improved: usage instructions screen. Added: su detection.
v2.1 - Bug Fix: .android_secure partition not being backed-up correctly. (Reported by Kamil004. Thanks!)
v2.2 - Bug Fix: size calculation of .android_secure partition. (Reported by Kamil004. Thanks!)
v2.3 - Improvement: size calculation in .android_secure partition.
v3.0 - Bug Fix: unknown uid 0 (incorrect detection of root). Added: sd-ext backup. Added: battery level check. Added: SD card check. Improved: .android_secure backup. Fixed: various bugs and re-organized script.
v3.1 - Bug Fix: SD card not found error on some devices. (Reported by tRippinthehead, x_one, varader0zs & hgoldner. Thanks!) Re-organization of script and removal of bloat code.
v3.2 - Bug Fix: Incorrect detection of root. Added: New logging mechanism.
v3.3 - Bug Fix: Incorrect sdcard mounting. Bug Fix: Various fixes for busybox conflicts. Improvement: Logging mechanism.
v3.4 - Bug Fix: Empty md5sum. Bug Fix: Size calculation of sdcard. Bug Fix: Script exiting before sd-ext and .android_secure partitions backed-up.
v3.5 - Bug Fix: Busyboxed 'which' command. Removed some log lines for cleaning-up.
v3.6 - Removed: mount format detection bloat due to non-busyboxed version.
v3.7 - Busyboxed "cat" commands. Added: Battery level detection for Xperia X10. Re-positioned root detection.
v4.0 - Added: LED and vibrate notification on backup completion. Bug Fix: Minor bug in "tar" detection. Bug Fix: Cannot create log file. (Reported by papayayoghurt. Thanks!)
v4.1 - Bug Fix: Corrected size checking of .android_secure partition.
v4.2 - Added: md5sum verification. Improved: md5sum generation.
v5.0 - Added: Backup of boot, recovery, wimax and appslog partitions. Added: Proper sdcard detection. Added: Detailed error logging. Added: Cleaning-up temp mounts upon exits. Added: LED notification for Xperia U Added: Version number to log. Added: ext2/3/4 and rfs file system support. Added: Avoid mkyaffs2image detection if device does not have a yaffs2 partition. Added: Force remounting and unmounting. Added: system, data, cache, datadata and .android_secure partition detection. Improved: sd-ext detection. Improved: sd-ext backup. Improved: md5sum generation and validation. Improved: sd-ext detection. Improved: Usage instructions screen. Improved: Battery level detection. Improved: LED and vibrate notification. Increased safety space from 7MB to 10MB. Code clean-up and re-organization
v5.1 - Bug Fix: Minor bug in sd card detection when device has internal storage and an external sd card mounted. Bug Fix: Bug in .android_secure backup.
Source: http://bit.ly/OnlineNandroid
Issue Tracker: http://bit.ly/OnlineNandroid-issues
Older Versions: http://bit.ly/OnlineNandroid-downloads

Attached Thumbnails

Attached Files
zip.gif
onandroidv5.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (190.9 KB, 64 views)
zip.gif
onandroidv5.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (190.9 KB, 66 views)

well no one is posting on this and dont take this the wrong way but its alot easier and less things to download and install and no commands to type by just well using cwm plus rom manager has an option to back up rom within the app. and again im sure this has neat features but i dont see myself using this just for backup. just read the whole thing and i like the part where u can backup without rebooting and what not but i like old fashion way of doing recoveries lol

Upvote 0
well no one is posting on this and dont take this the wrong way but its alot easier and less things to download and install and no commands to type by just well using cwm plus rom manager has an option to back up rom within the app. and again im sure this has neat features but i dont see myself using this just for backup

Maybe a little script could be worked up whereas one clicks a desktop link, and presto...everything done.

With / plus a schedule/autorun /switch...:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
well no one is posting on this and dont take this the wrong way but its alot easier and less things to download and install and no commands to type by just well using cwm plus rom manager has an option to back up rom within the app. and again im sure this has neat features but i dont see myself using this just for backup. just read the whole thing and i like the part where u can backup without rebooting and what not but i like old fashion way of doing recoveries lol

The main plus is the battery saved and the time saved.
Running a command is alot easier than booting into CWM. Waiting. Waiting. More waiting. And then rebooting.

Hell it takes more effort to install a Rom or theme than it does this. lol

Much easier and Im so GLAD it was shared :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
The main plus is the battery saved and the time saved.
Running a command is alot easier than booting into CWM. Waiting. Waiting. More waiting. And then rebooting.

Hell it takes more effort to install a Rom or theme than it does this. lol

Much easier and Im so GLAD it was shared :thumbsup:
i got no complains there my battery last me way too long ive never seen my phone reach 0% ofcourse i have a extended batter but thats beyound the point we have pros and cons for some people this is a fast and easy way for others the complication of remembering commands is a hassle so if they wanna try it out i recommend trying new things and for those that are happy the way they are for now then good for them too. either we are all happy :D

Upvote 0
Im lazy and OCD and rather have 100% fresh if I get to the point of having to restore a back up. I cant even tell you the last time I made a back up Ahaha

^Newbies do as I say not as I do...Make backups!! :D
:O but ur one of the modders that actually know what hes doing so i know u rarely mess up ur phone lol
i also rarely ever need to do a recovery. but recently i had to do one cuz someone u know who had me flash something that wasnt ready for my phone yet "cough cough" aint gonna say names hes watching the forums carefully if u know what im saying :D but yea he told me it was my fault and that i was doing something wrong then later relised it was his fault but yea its all good lol no one died lol

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
:O but ur one of the modders that actually know what hes doing so i know u rarely mess up ur phone lol
i also rarely ever need to do a recovery. but recently i had to do one cuz someone u know who had me flash something that wasnt ready for my phone yet "cough cough" aint gonna say names hes watching the forums carefully if u know what im saying :D but yea he told me it was my fault and that i was doing something wrong then later relised it was his fault but yea its all good lol no one died lol

Hahaha. He's from another planet. He wiggles his nose and fixes his phone. lol

Upvote 0

Hmm I smell godliness lol but yeah if I get around to it ill see if this is script able lol

Upvote 0
I can't get this to work on #2 it worked on pgs rom. On ths one i get su on terminal then type onandroid and it says it can't get root permissions closing wth lol :eek:

Sent from my typewriter.

I think its not onandroid issue. Uninstall terminal emulator and reinstall. Then superuser again display root permission menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones