• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA update Issues/troubleshooting

TexasBadger

Android Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2010
Dallas Area
I got the OTA last night and almost immediately found a minor issue. I use the Simple Analog Clock widget on an alternate home screen. With a seconds hand, it is useful for frequently setting my Rolex watch (Rolex makes watches that are expensive jewelry but lousy timekeepers).

After upgrading to Lollipop 5.1, the seconds hand no longer works. It randomly pauses and then jumps forward in 5 to 10 second bursts. I also tried another normally reliable widget, Animated Analog Clock, and found the same issue.

Update #1: I contacted the developer of Simple Analog Clock. He responded that the seconds hand problem is due to a bug in Lollipop 5.1 that breaks the seconds hands on all analog clock widgets.

Update #2: On 04/04/15, the developer updated Simple Analog Clock and the seconds hand now works perfectly under Lollipop 5.1.

What issues or surprises are you finding?

Last edited:
Here is another bug. When you install a new widget, you must reboot your phone before the widget will appear in the Widgets Menu. This also applies when you uninstall a widget. It stays in the menu until you reboot.

Amarie82:

I just tried Sound Search for the very first time. I tested it on a few obscure jazz tracks. It identified them accurately within 2 or 3 seconds.

Reactions: amarie82
Upvote 0
Hey all. Just got the 5.1 update OTA via T-Mobile and suddenly the animations - specifically the animations when I hit the multitask/recent apps button and swipe them right - are stuttering badly. I've heard that 5.1 has a memory leak problem... Anyone know if this is the cause? Anyone else having this issue? I read a few 5.1 troubleshooting threads here and didn't see it come up specifically so I figured I would ask. Weirdly, I actually hope that *is* the issue, because if it's that easy to identify we may actually get a fix in a decent timeframe...

Upvote 0
It was, but not completely. Looks like there is still a (smaller) leak. It has been fixed "internally", but hasn't been released to users yet.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...fixed-internally-no-timeline-for-release-yet/

Regarding the slowdown in animation, try clearing your cache partition - that may help. I'm on 5.1 ("D" build though - not the T-Mo specific "M" build), and I see no stuttering in any of the animations.

Upvote 0
Even a factory reset hasn't fixed the problem, sadly, as it rebooted still running 5.1. I suppose I could root it and reload 5.0, but that seems excessive given that the phone is still running beautifully in every other regard. It's not exactly a big deal, it's just a shame that the best Android experience I've had (and I've had an Android phone since my original G1) is ever-so-slightly tarnished now. Hopefully 5.1.1 will roll out at some point and fix the issue. I seem to be in a minority experiencing the slowdown anyway...

Upvote 0
You don't need to root it to flash stock factory images, just unlock the bootloader. I've got an AT&T N6, but as far as I know, other than the little decal, they are all the same. I too haven't seen any stuttering on either 5.0.1 or 5.1.0. I would suggest that one of three things is happening. First, you've got a bad or corrupt app installed that's refusing to let go of the CPU. You could have had something go wrong during the OTA (either the download or the install, which wouldn't be fixed by a factory reset). Or you've got some failing hardware.

Flash the factory firmware for 5.1.0 and don't install any apps. IF it still stutters after that, then it's got to be #3.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I usually like to wait for the ota and don't flash updates. Today I got tired of waiting and decided to try the old trick of clearing the service framework. I know it's not really advised anymore but it worked or so I thought. Restarted my phone and bam there was the 5.1 update. I downloaded the update hit restart the typical android came up but it said error instead of installing. So I turned the phone back off since it seemed to be frozen. Turned it back on and no update I am still on 5.0.1 and no update to be found. Any ideas I have never had this happen before so now I am worried it won't update.

Upvote 0
I found this in Google Groups from someone with a similar question.

Unfortunately, we found several issues with the exposure compensation implementation on the Nexus 6. In many cases, it was not actually reaching the requested target exposure, freezing at a specific exposure, or resetting itself to full-auto operation.

These issues are complicated (the auto-exposure algorithm is a very complex piece of code) and were found too late to fix them for 5.1. As a result, we had to disable the AE compensation feature in 5.1. for the Nexus 6, to be compliant with the Android API's requirements for that feature.

We aim to get it fixed and to re-enable it in a future update.

Upvote 0
hey guys

first i must say i never had any android device before. then i got my nexus 6 about 2 month ago. it was fine and worked perfectly. after a while there was an update from 5.0.1 to 5.1 and i did it. after that my phone get messed up and it turns itself down randomly. i tried reset factory about 6 times. downgrade to 5.0.1, nothing. update again, still nothing! the store i bought the phone tolled me its a bug and it will fix in 5.2. is it true? if yes anyone knows when 5.2 come out?
oh i must say i'm sure its from the battery, because when the phone is on charger it will work fine.

Upvote 0
When you say it turns itself down do you mean the volume? Or do you mean it turns itself off? Either way, I haven't seen that at all and I don't remember anyone ever complaining about that. I think the guy in the store just wanted to get rid of you.

It could be that something went wrong with the 5.1 update and if it's in your system partition a factory reset won't fix it. You'll have to reflash the factory firmware. (not too hard, if you want to try that.)

Upvote 0
When you say it turns itself down do you mean the volume? Or do you mean it turns itself off? Either way, I haven't seen that at all and I don't remember anyone ever complaining about that. I think the guy in the store just wanted to get rid of you.

It could be that something went wrong with the 5.1 update and if it's in your system partition a factory reset won't fix it. You'll have to reflash the factory firmware. (not too hard, if you want to try that.)
hey
i mean it turns off ...
what do you suggest? i never played around with android phones. if you mean the fastboot thing i tried it. i got the image from google ( shamu image ), cleared the phone, and loaded the 5.0.1 version, still same problem.

Upvote 0
Yes. "Shamu" is the Nexus 6.

Lollipop (either 5.0.1 or 5.1.0) hasn't had reports of this.
Does it turn off in the middle of something? Like it just goes black like the battery has been disconnected? Or does it actually shut down?

Since factory resets and flashing stock firmware hasn't helped, I have to think it's defective hardware, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones