• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outside/daylight N1 screen performance?

fliptwister

Mar 25, 2010
I posted this as well over in Incredible forum. I'm considering switching from my Droid Eris to the Incredible (I'm on Verizon). I figure the screen on incredible is very similar to N1. I have done a search here and it seams some people can cannot live with N1 screen outside and others deal with it fine by adjusting brightness.

The Engadget review of the Incredible said it was pretty much unusable when sunny outside. Many of the reviews mention the poor performance of screen outside. I really do not have issue with this if this is only referring to direct sunlight. I can always turn so that the screen is in shadow. I have looked for videos of phone operation outside but I have not found any. I need to be able to use phone outside and in car with no issues.

Could people here comment on how their N1 performs outdoors when it is sunny? Anyone know of videos of N1 in sunlight?

Thanks!

It is frustrating to me that people have been spreading this nasty mis-information that the N1 is unusable in direct sunlight. That is such a falsehood. Yes, it is not as good at the iPhone. There is no doubt about that. BUT, with the brightness jacked up to the maximum you most definitely have a fully readable display on the N1 even in DIRECT sunlight.

I just got my Nexus One this week after having an iPhone for 3 years. I am a very very picky discriminating gadget person but I can safely say this: the Nexus One is AWESOME. It is the best gadget I have ever owned. Way way better than the iPhone. Yes it has a few shortcomings, but those are trivial compared to all the positives. Buy, buy, buy.

Reactions: fliptwister
Upvote 0
Uuummm why are people using the phone in direct sunlinght? If your outside in the sun i figure you have more to do than play with your phone. Never understood why this was a issue other than to those who have nothing better to do but stare at their phone all day looking for anything to gripe about. The phone works fine, best phone on the market by far.

Upvote 0
Uuummm why are people using the phone in direct sunlinght? If your outside in the sun i figure you have more to do than play with your phone. Never understood why this was a issue other than to those who have nothing better to do but stare at their phone all day looking for anything to gripe about. The phone works fine, best phone on the market by far.

Will lets see answering the phone replying to a text message taking pictures

Reactions: spongebobnopants
Upvote 0

Will lets see answering the phone replying to a text message taking pictures

Adding on to what techrider said; some examples why I’d use my phone when I’m outside. If I'm waiting for the bus/train it's convenient to be able to use my phone to listen to music, check the bus/train schedule and play games or surf the net while I wait for another 20 minutes as the train has been delayed. If I'm in part of the city I usually don't vist and get lost, I can use Google map and find the directions to my destination. In any situation, when you're outside and need your phone, I think it’s prudent that you can SEE the contents on the screen. It is as simple as that. SBERG, if you don't use your Nexus One outside, find that's you, but don't insult people that do.

OP: As others have said, the screen is legible/viewable when you MAX the screen's brightness. I have no difficulty using my phone outside. If you're the type that is always outside for extended period of time, I'd suggest you buy the extra battery. Turning the screen's brightness to maximum will drain the battery much quicker.

Also, I find it helpful that when I wear sunglasses, I don't need the screen to be at 100% brightness. :cool:

-Roze-

Upvote 0
Adding on to what techrider said; some examples why I’d use my phone when I’m outside. If I'm waiting for the bus/train it's convenient to be able to use my phone to listen to music, check the bus/train schedule and play games or surf the net while I wait for another 20 minutes as the train has been delayed. If I'm in part of the city I usually don't vist and get lost, I can use Google map and find the directions to my destination. In any situation, when you're outside and need your phone, I think it’s prudent that you can SEE the contents on the screen. It is as simple as that. SBERG, if you don't use your Nexus One outside, find that's you, but don't insult people that do.

OP: As others have said, the screen is legible/viewable when you MAX the screen's brightness. I have no difficulty using my phone outside. If you're the type that is always outside for extended period of time, I'd suggest you buy the extra battery. Turning the screen's brightness to maximum will drain the battery much quicker.

Also, I find it helpful that when I wear sunglasses, I don't need the screen to be at 100% brightness. :cool:

-Roze-
Wow your a moron. Now thats a insult. If you could read what i said (obviously you cant) you would see i said why use your phone in direct sunlight, i said nothing about using the phone outside in general. I use my phone all the time inside and out only i think by what your saying im one of the only few who know to turn to the side a little so the sun isnt blaring right on the screen. Not that hard to do you should try it. If your gonna rip someone for something please make sure you read what they write, otherwise your look dumber than the words you write, MORON!!!!!

Upvote 0
As everyone else said; brightness at 100% allows you to see quite normally in sunlight. However if you have it turned down the screen will look almost blank or dim. Overall I think ive had 2 instances where i couldn't see the screen clearly while in direct sunlight which was fixed with adjusting the brightness. (this would be a problem if you received a call in direct sunlight and couldn't adjust the brightness on the fly).

Upvote 0
Wow your a moron. Now thats a insult. If you could read what i said (obviously you cant) you would see i said why use your phone in direct sunlight, i said nothing about using the phone outside in general. I use my phone all the time inside and out only i think by what your saying im one of the only few who know to turn to the side a little so the sun isnt blaring right on the screen. Not that hard to do you should try it. If your gonna rip someone for something please make sure you read what they write, otherwise your look dumber than the words you write, MORON!!!!!

Reread what you wrote then and see how it was quite easy to misinterpret what you said. I read it perfectly fine, INTERPETING what I read does not mean I cannot read. If you didn't mean it to be insulting, then say that, but your reply was quite uncalled for.

Good day,
Roze

Upvote 0
Im good. Sorry didnt mean to make waves. As with anyone i dont like my words twisted into something i didnt say. I was quite clear in what i said, there was no grey area. Anyway for the sake of the forum i apologize.

My apologies SBERG, I had no intention of twisting your words. It was just how I interpret what you wrote. Even though you thought it was 100% clear with no grey area, it wasn't so, and there was room for misinterpretation in that post.

-Roze-

Upvote 0
He WAS clearly talking about generall outdoor use in his post, except for the first sentence, he just flipped it when he saw he was wrong :)

As for outdoor use, I just tested spectrek (outdoor adventure game type thing) outdoors for half an hour in full sunlight, not a cloud in the sky.
The visibility was clear enough (brightness max ofc) for me to use it while riding a bike without having to squint for ages at the screen

Upvote 0
He WAS clearly talking about generall outdoor use in his post, except for the first sentence, he just flipped it when he saw he was wrong :)

As for outdoor use, I just tested spectrek (outdoor adventure game type thing) outdoors for half an hour in full sunlight, not a cloud in the sky.
The visibility was clear enough (brightness max ofc) for me to use it while riding a bike without having to squint for ages at the screen
So you were playing spectrek while riding your bike? Very impressive! :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Upvote 0
I use mine outside, inside, in the car, in the shade, in the sun, everywhere and have never had an issue.

I have Auto Brightness turned OFF... hell, here is a screen of where mine is set:

BrightnessSetting.png

Upvote 0
So you were playing spectrek while riding your bike? Very impressive! :)

Thanks for the help everyone!
Well I did have to stop to catch them :p But I had just downloaded it before I left for the store and I tought heck why not :D

@Talderon: If you can use that brightness in the sun then they must've given you a diff screen then mine, I wouldn't be able to see jack.

Upvote 0

No thats not what i said . But its cool, I told the moderator id leave it be so i will. But again your wrong too. My original post was quite clear - Why use the phone in direct sunlight? I wasnt talking anything about general use outdoors until my second post and even then i made it clear what was being discussed. It was someone else who misread it and accused me of insulting people, thats what got it going. But again its cool, ya wanna use your phone in direct sunlight go ahead it your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones