• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Paid version of Angry Birds

Umm, they just released an update with 45 levels on it and they're now putting out plush toys. How does that qualify as "losing a lot of interest"?

lol, I was thinking the same thing. because putting out an update, creating the plush pillow, having angry birds game day on 50 inch plasma and putting out a halloween version for Iphone, If that's losing interest I would love to see them lose more interest ASAP:)

for those that HATE the ads, simple thing is to get ROOT and then get adfree. I don't see ads on AB.

Upvote 0
I've contacted them several times in the past requesting a paid version, just to get rid of the horrendous ads. I was told they are working on it, but with no ETA.

To be frank the ads weren't nearly as bothersome before as they are now. Is it just me, or have they repositioned the ads in the top-right hand corner of the screen?! I can't tell you how much trouble I am having on most of the new levels because of its positioning, especially when attempting to use the "boomerang" birds.

Also, does anyone know the list for acquiring golden eggs for the new levels?

Upvote 0
What? 10 million downloads before they will grace us Android gamers with a paid version? That's Rovio's prerogative, I suppose. All I know is that I will not download any ad-supported game. I don't care how awesome it is. For me, it's a matter of principle. I can't speak for other countries but in America, we are bombarded with ads on a daily basis. It is a fact of life (especially in urban settings like Washington, D.C.). The last place I wanna see an ad is on my phone games. As soon as Rovio releases a paid version, I'll buy it. Until then, I'll pass on the Angry Birds phenomenon...

Based on some of the comments in the Market, I'm not alone.

Upvote 0
If you don't like the ads, just put your phone in airplane mode before starting the game. Voila, no ads.

Sure, this is a simple "solution" to the "problem" but I am not going to disable my phone just to avoid seeing ads in a phone game. What if someone needs to contact me? "Oh, sorry I missed your call (boss, client, coworker, family member), I was playing Angry Birds."

Please don't take this the wrong way, but airplane mode isn't really a viable solution at all. No, the most palatable solution is for Rovio to develop and release a paid version for Android, so that people like me (who can't STAND ads) can enjoy the game ad-free without having to root, or disable the radios in our phones. I don't think that is an unreasonable request. If Rovio makes a paid (ad-free) version, then I'll buy it. Until then? I'll pass.

To the OP: I feel ya bro!

Upvote 0
Or, switch to a different platform...

Google's drive is not to develop software. Its to develop ad revenue. Always has been, and they don't try to hide that fact. It is, after all, the best way they can deliver their mission of "the internet for free".

If your personal belief system is that anti-ad, you're probably using the wrong kind of smartphone platform.

Upvote 0

Google's drive is not to develop software. Its to develop ad revenue. Always has been, and they don't try to hide that fact. It is, after all, the best way they can deliver their mission of "the internet for free".

If your personal belief system is that anti-ad, you're probably using the wrong kind of smartphone platform.

Excellent point. Google Android is, at its core, an ad delivery system. I don't think Google cares either way whether apps are paid or ad-supported. Google makes money either way. So I think it is safe to assume that Rovio is under no pressure from Google to develop an ad-free game, especially since both Google and Rovio can make money off of "accidental" ad clicks (hence, an update with ads obstructing the playing field).

I admit that I sometimes lose sight of these facts. Even though I hate ads, Google Android is an ad delivery system dressed up as a smartphone OS. Gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose. Nevertheless, I would still prefer a paid version of Angry Birds. Not holding my breath though...

Upvote 0

This is a good point. I've heard that statistically, Android has more free apps than any other platform. The reason for this is that the majority of those free apps are ad supported. It's Google's system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones