1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

PC36IMG.zip won't install

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheXtreme76, Apr 14, 2012.

1. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

I've been trying to install PC36IMG.zip to my phone so as to unroot it. It loads, checks the file but then just goes back to the normal hboot menu. I'm kinda new at this, but my impression from XDA was that it should automatically take me to instructions for installing the zip file. Am I wrong in this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

Welcome to AF!!! Make sure the PC36IMG.zip file is in the root directory of your sd card (topmost level and not in any folders), and named exactly how it is above. Windows typically hides extensions so it's possible you've renamed the file to PC36IMG.zip.zip. If you believe you've done everything correctly thus far, power off, then back on while holding volume down (this takes you to hboot), and your Evo will automatically scan for the PC36IMG.zip file. If the file is named correctly and in the right place, your Evo will ask you if you'd like to update. Say "yes" and you should be gtg.

ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Welcome to the forums!

Try this RUU file. Its a program you run from your computer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/RU....15.00.0808_NV_2.15_release_209995_signed.exe

I've had the same problem as you in the past where the PC36IMG file wouldnt take, but the RUU worked like a charm.

ocnbrze and frenchy714 like this.
  4. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

The location is correct, I also checked the name to make sure and it seems to all be correct. I don't know why it doesn't work.

5. frenchy714

Try the RUU file Rxpert referenced above and let us know how it goes.

ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I had the exact same issue. Its it the right place and named correctly because it checks the file and then loads it but never asks for an update. Try the RUU I linked above.

Argh...Ninja'd twice in 1 thread! Its usually me doing the ninjaing!! :p

frenchy714 likes this.
  7. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

I'm going to give it a shot. Do I need to be in Hboot or recovery? also, what is "ninjaing"? lol

8. frenchy714

Hboot.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Neither, just have the phone booted up in charge only mode and connect it to the computer.

It can also be done from fastboot

Annnnnd 3 times. I'm gonna start refreshing before I reply :p

frenchy714 likes this.
  10. frenchy714

See Rxpert, I just learned something from you! :p:D

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

OK, I'm backing up and saving all my files to the pc so that will take a while. I will let you know what happens though. Also, what is ninjaing?

12. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Just a little friendly banter. Its when you are replying to a thread and then someone else replys before you hit submit.

Running the RUU wont erase your SD card, so you wont have to worry about that.

13. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

ok, thanks

14. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

my battery is too low so I will need to rechare it some first

15. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

Ok, I'm having a bit of trouble. It flashed ok, but now when I start the phone up, it starts ok, as long as it's plugged in. Otherwise it vibrates 5 times and goes black. I have to pull the battery and put it back in, then plug it in to start it back up. Also, after a couple minutes, it will shut down and go into the 5 vibrations. The battery won't charge and I can't boot into recovery. I get the red triangle. Not sure what's going on.

16. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Well you can't boot into recovery because you now have the stock ROM, H-boot, & recovery installed. The stock recovery isn't accessible by users.

I'm not sure why it didn't go properly. You can always try to rerun the RUU or try the PC36IMG zip again.

Your computer didnt fall asleep while the RUU was running did it?

17. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

I don't think so, it also won't connect by usb to the computer. it does seem to recharge while the phone is off, just not while it's on...

18. TheXtreme76

TheXtreme76 Lurker

I would take it in, but I bought it 2nd hand and don't have ins

19. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

ok so just to be sure everything worked, can you post what you see on you bootloader screen? like what is your hboot version and do you have s-on or s-off? and lastly what is your baseband?

20. frenchy714

Almost sounds like you're in diagnostic mode (if you power your Evo off then back on while holding volume up, it vibrates a few times like you're describing).

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews