• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
One question...when I plug my phone after enabling the debugging the instruction says to download the attached files. Does this mean to my computer? I am a little confused by this? Keep in mind I have not worked the courage up to plug my phone in and this could be self explanatory once I do?

Upvote 0
I was rooted and then my company must have somehow "scanned" my phone and determined it was rooted and booted me off the Good server. So I had to unroot. I was missing wireless tether til I found a solution that does not require root but it DOES require some bravery and writing to your phone.

It was originally posted over at XDA...and I think Android Central as well.

1) Download/install QPST (google it)
2) Put phone in modem mode (Settings, Wireless, Enable Dial Up)
3) Run QPST Configuration on your computer
4) Add the port if it doesn't show up (go to Ports then click on Add New Port. Uncheck "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic Ports Only". When you see your phone you can add it).
5) Once you see your phone in QPST go to the Menu, Start service programming.
6) Click "read from phone" (password is 000000)
7) Tab over to M.IP
8) Change the profile 1 under M.IP to enable and change tethered NAI to number@vzw3g.com.
9) Change the profile 0 from number@dun.vzw3g.com to number@vzw3g.com (just like for profile 1).
10) Click "write to phone"

Phone will reboot.

Be sure to turn modem mode off after the reboot or data will not work (Settings, Wireless, uncheck Enable Dial Up).

Use the Verizon Mobile Hotspot program to access wireless tether.

Please folks...be very careful and don't use obscene amounts of data (or else you run the risk of being detected). And I am not responsible for anything you may or may not do to bork your phone. This worked for me following the instructions I just posted. It was the perfect solution since I really only rooted to have the wireless tether.

And as an FYI, wireless tether will not connect to a computer with a static IP address.

And to be a bit more on topic...EasyTether is another program that you can use for tethering via USB and it's $9.95 (so less expensive than PDANet).

Upvote 0
i use usb PDA to "borrow" some wifi thats in my building. was on sale for $14.95 which persuaded me to go ahead and purchase it. Looked at EasyT but went with PDA. Works
surprisingly well.

can watch netflix, youtube flicker free on my 1860 Quadrant score Fascinate.

So you pick up the wifi signal on your Fascinate and then plug in via USB to your computer and have connection that way? Interesting...never thought of feeding another computer a wifi connection but then again our household is all laptops with wifi built in so I would go straight to the source.

As far as using unlocked private networks...not a good idea. You can get into trouble if caught and streaming Netflix etc. is not exactly flying under the radar. That type of activity is higher traffic.

Upvote 0
yea, my Fascinate is my communications driver. the wifi is a utility monitoring
of some B.S. "water usage" system. there are only 8 apts here so i know they dont have a traffic monitoring system. at least iam betting on it. i never use anything else.

Sounds like a "good deal". I just felt compelled to throw the warning out. Not saying I wouldn't be doing the same thing...given that you mentioned it isn't actually your neighbor's wifi. Not that that makes it different...well, never mind. You get my drift. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones