• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phandroid attaching ads to peoples posts? Really??

Only guests see the ads, if your signed it, which you obviously have to be in order to post in the first place, you don't see them. So what's the big deal? It also clearly says "ads by google" right at the top of the ads. No where does it say you endorse the product or whatever is bei ng advertised, and by claiming that it is making you falsely endorse something is pretty arrogant if you ask me.

Upvote 0
ive been seeing the fly over ads more and more recently when im logged in... the ones that darken the background (the forum) and present a popup that has an "X" in the upper right corner. the ones that you see when your logged out. but im logged in....
I get those, too, and its really annoying because my phone won't let me get to the x to close the ad. The only way I can get rid of it is to back out and reload the page. It covers my "xx unread posts" link, so I can't just ignore it.

Upvote 0
Yes I've seen those too, and it's especially annoying when I am on my phone viewing the desktop site and can't close the Damn thing.

I get those, too, and its really annoying because my phone won't let me get to the x to close the ad. The only way I can get rid of it is to back out and reload the page. It covers my "xx unread posts" link, so I can't just ignore it.

They are absolutely infuriating when browsing mobile. No matter how you try hitting the tiny x it is impossible to hit. Using pinch to zoom moves the tiny x off the edge of the screen and reloading the page doesn't work for me usually. I've luckily found a great work around in my stock HTC internet browser, and that is to toggle off JavaScript. I also leave Flash off. It allows me to have the AndroidForums desktop experience, ad-free, while on the go.

When I need to log in to AF or use a different site that requires java I toggle it back on. I generally forget to turn it off again and about have an aneurism when I come back to AF and there is that annoying tiny x again. :D

Upvote 0
ive been seeing the fly over ads more and more recently when im logged in... the ones that darken the background (the forum) and present a popup that has an "X" in the upper right corner. the ones that you see when your logged out. but im logged in....

Yes I've seen those too, and it's especially annoying when I am on my phone viewing the desktop site and can't close the Damn thing.

They are absolutely infuriating when browsing mobile. No matter how you try hitting the tiny x it is impossible to hit. Using pinch to zoom moves the tiny x off the edge of the screen and reloading the page doesn't work for me usually. I've luckily found a great work around in my stock HTC internet browser, and that is to toggle off JavaScript. I also leave Flash off. It allows me to have the AndroidForums desktop experience, ad-free, while on the go.

When I need to log in to AF or use a different site that requires java I toggle it back on. I generally forget to turn it off again and about have an aneurism when I come back to AF and there is that annoying tiny x again. :D

I HATE those.

I'll tell ya what I recently realized though. After tons of frustration with not being able to hit the X, I've found huge relief in the realization that if I just refresh the page it goes away! :D

Upvote 0
I HATE those.

I'll tell ya what I recently realized though. After tons of frustration with not being able to hit the X, I've found huge relief in the realization that if I just refresh the page it goes away! :D

Who wud'a thunk it! I had to LMAO at this because I NEVER thought to reload. I'm constantly trying to get the screen just right to tap that tiny x.

Reactions: Phases
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones