1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Phone calls while using a headset without a microphone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zilla., Apr 23, 2011.

1. zilla.

zilla. Member
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    I've been using my head set a lot recently and noticed if I answer calls, I cannot talk to people because my headset doesn't have a microphone. However I can hear the caller through the head set.

I think the thunderbolt thinks I have a microphone on the head set but I don't.

Is there a way I can set the phone to where I can speak through the phone's microphone but continue to hear the caller through the headset? I've looked through the settings but I couldn't find anything.

Advertisement

2. Nor*Cal

Nor*Cal Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Bay Area
    Unfortunately there is no setting to fix this issue. When you plug into the headphone port the phone app automatically turns off the built in mic.

Several threads floating around in regards to this subject. HTC has confirmed that this is not a bug, its the way they meant for it to work. Really stupid.

There's also a thread on headphones for calls and music currently being discussed that has a work around by using an external mic that you can plug your headphones into.

zilla. likes this.
  3. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    I also don't like this feature. When I had my droid I could have it docked on the dash of my car and hooked to my stereo via the 3.5 mm jack so that I could listen to mp3s. I was also able to take phone calls and hear the caller in my car speakers and still able to talk. Now I can't talk...

4. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    I agree with ilmar... I had the same capability on my Incredible. It's sorely missed with this phone. Luckily, my stereo has BT for calls, so I can still run my 3.5mm jack for music and use bt for calls.