• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone scammers...not too bright!

Like everyone else these days, I'm plagued by bullshit phone calls. :rolleyes:

I now ignore unrecognized callers, letting them go to voice mail*, occasionally answering just to have a little fun**. :eek:

I'm totally familiar with spoofing, but something that's never made sense to me is when the spoofing scammer's info looks like this:

IMG_20191002_142016.jpg

I've answered many of these, and nearly all of them claim to be 'XYZ Company working in your neighborhood' and wanting to do some job--typically a big-dollar job, like roofing, adding a sunroom, or pouring a new driveway.

What stumps me is this: if they're shady enough to spoof their caller ID info, even -if- XYZ Company actually exists, -and- the caller really represents them, why on earth would I trust them to do a high cost job on my house?! You're not honest enough to show me your real name and number, but you want me to trust you with a costly job? :thinking:

As for spoofed numbers, check this one out:

IMG_20191002_142238.jpg

* I've been tweaking the message they hear. It's caused my number of daily bullshit calls to drop from 20+ to ≈5. My message says they must leave their name and number if they want to talk to us, and that calling back repeatedly won't help--so they might as well delete my number. :)

** When the mood strikes, I answer--then have some fun. Like when they tell me that my 'IP address has been compromised' and my computer [they assume I'm a window$ user, with one computer--in fact, I have half a dozen computers, all Linux] is going to be held hostage. I play totally clueless: "Oh no! Really?! That sounds terrible!" I ask questions a clueless person might ask--and keep asking. When I'm bored, I tell them they're full of shit and ought to be ashamed *CLICK*... :D

I'm using Youmail to block all callers not in my contacts list.
There's no such thing for landlines! :)

Yes, I--and pretty much everyone else in my area--still have a landline. :eek: The beautiful San Gabriel Mountains, which grace our views, also do a great job of blocking cellphone signals.

Since moving back here 13 years ago, I've had 8 phones, 2 carriers, and always the same result: 0 to 1 bar inside my house--1 only working if I don't move one millimeter from the exact spot where I got it...or it drops. :(

Landline? 100% perfect performance! Clear, no dropped calls, no dead zones, no problems. :D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There's no such thing for landlines! :)

Yes, I--and pretty much everyone else in my area--still have a landline. :eek: The beautiful San Gabriel Mountains, which grace our views, also do a great job of blocking cellphone signals.

Since moving back here 13 years ago, I've had 8 phones, 2 carriers, and always the same result: 0 to 1 bar inside my house--1 only working if I don't move one millimeter from the exact spot where I got it...or it drops. :(

Landline? 100% perfect performance! Clear, no dropped calls, no dead zones, no problems. :D

I don't suppose your carriers are allowed to place their ugly cell towers at the top of the beautiful mountains? To try and improve service and reception.

Of course they don't tend to have that issue in this country...carriers can put their cell towers where they like, and phone reception is always great.

Mount Everest with China Mobile. :thumbsupdroid:
ev.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't suppose your carriers are allowed to place their ugly cell towers at the top of the beautiful mountains? To try and improve service and reception.
Ironically, there actually are towers in the local mountains, but something about our location down here in the San Gabriel Valley blocks their signals.
Of course they don't tend to have that issue in this country...carriers can put their cell towers where they like, and phone reception is always great.

Mount Everest with China Mobile. :thumbsupdroid:
View attachment 144857
Yeah, it's a bit different here, with strict regulations about stuff like tower placement. But I'm okay with it. The beautiful view makes up for the lack of reception. (Though I wouldn't complain if I could finally be rid of the extra phone bill.)

Upvote 0
Ironically, there actually are towers in the local mountains, but something about our location down here in the San Gabriel Valley blocks their signals.

Yeah, it's a bit different here, with strict regulations about stuff like tower placement. But I'm okay with it. The beautiful view makes up for the lack of reception. (Though I wouldn't complain if I could finally be rid of the extra phone bill.)

Does your carrier offer WiFi calling, or a femtocell?

Upvote 0
Does your carrier offer WiFi calling?
Um...you know, I don't know! When I still had AT&T, I checked into it, but since switching to Consumer Cellular I hadn't even thought about it.

Honestly, though, with the tiny amount I'm paying CC, I'm not highly motivated.

Upvote 0
My go to fun (think cat with mouse) are the extended warranty mullets. I get almost giddy with them when they ask if I'm interested. 'Yes, I'm very interested'.
We live on a horse farm and my work trucks are a 92 Chevrolet Silverado stepside with 353,000 miles and a 1997 Ford 1 ton 4dr powerstroke diesel 4 wheel drive with 280,000. CLICK.
Hmmm, gotta get this phone checked. I get disconnected every time🤔

Upvote 0
My go to fun (think cat with mouse) are the extended warranty mullets. I get almost giddy with them when they ask if I'm interested. 'Yes, I'm very interested'.
We live on a horse farm and my work trucks are a 92 Chevrolet Silverado stepside with 353,000 miles and a 1997 Ford 1 ton 4dr powerstroke diesel 4 wheel drive with 280,000. CLICK.
Hmmm, gotta get this phone checked. I get disconnected every time🤔
Love it! :D

You're apparently having the same problem I am, that abrupt *CLICK* while in mid-sentence. :eek: Oh well. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones