• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pictures Taken With Evo Camera to show quality

Yes please someone take some pix using the front cam.
I'd love to see how it looks

3 megapixels on the palm pre plus took better than a 5 megapixel Droid Eris/Sprint hero

however 1.3 megapixels is kind of crappy no mater how u look at it

i like it. i think its an awesome camera for being on the front and small. i hate when people say the camera quality get lower with lower lights. WELL DUH!!! all cameras do that. my $900 dollar sony Alpha DSLR gets worst in low light. light is one of the most important aspects of taking photos. i think the front camera gets the job done.

Upvote 0
best shot I got on front facing so far. Picasa scaled it all down, the full size isnt any better though. Not bad though in this pic

IMAG0039.jpg

Upvote 0
Having issues with my Evo pic quality. I'm shooting in 8mp setting, but pix always come out grainy. Also, files are never more than 2.4 mb and are usually under 2mb all together. Want a 2nd opinion before I go marching back to Sprint. Here are some shots taken with the 8mp setting (yes, I'm sure). The shot of the watch is with the front camera (default 1.3mp setting).: What I'm most concerned with is the file size of the pix. Should they really be under 2mb. My 10mp digital camera takes 10mb file shots. Shouldn't it be the same thing?

2dbo606.jpg

20swpaq.jpg

6z0lk8.jpg

2d1rdcx.jpg

And here's with the front facing camera
zwzyo3.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Having issues with my Evo pic quality. I'm shooting in 8mp setting, but pix always come out grainy. Also, files are never more than 2.4 mb and are usually under 2mb all together. Want a 2nd opinion before I go marching back to Sprint. Here are some shots taken with the 8mp setting (yes, I'm sure). The shot of the watch is with the front camera (default 1.3mp setting).: What I'm most concerned with is the file size of the pix. Should they really be under 2mb. My 10mp digital camera takes 10mb file shots. Shouldn't it be the same thing?

No it should not be the same thing. The word pixel comes from two works picture and element. A byte is a computer term describing a element of storage on a computer. There is not a one to one correspondence between a pixel in an image file and a byte in the storage location on a computer.

First off the Evo (and a whole lot of other cameras) camera takes pix by collecting photons using detectors (sometimes called wells) on the camera sensor (sometimes called chip). A first rate digital camera can have its detectors activated with as few as eight photons, but most need a lot more photons for the detector to record data. That data is flushed to buffers and the camera firmware creates a RAW file with croma and luma data from every detector. Since the Evo uses a Bayer sensor there is a RGB mask over the sensor and about 30% of the detectors are covered with a red filter, 30% a blue filter, and 40% a green filter resulting in many of the detectors having no data so the firmware interpolates what it thinks the data should be based on data from the surrounding detectors.The RAW file is then converted by the firmware into a file format that is easier to view, in the case of the Evo a jpg, which is stored on the sd card in the Evo.

A jpg file is what is called a lossy file which means every time you mash down on it using PS, or other editing programs, it loses some IQ (Image Quality). Additionally jpg files (and many other image file formats) use compression methods to shrink the size of the file. One example of this would be if you had a blue sky instead of this information being stored with the croma and luma data for each individual pixel the file would say something like the next 5,387 pixels all have the same croma and luma data.

Combining data compression used in jpg files and interpolation used by a Bayer sensor often results in significant differences between the number of detectors on the sensor, number of pixels in the image, and number of bytes in the image file created.

Just for the record a Bayer sensor camera has to have more detectors on the sensor than pixels in the image because the firmware needs to know what data is in detectors past the edge of the image so in can use that information to interpolate for detectors that recorded no information. In the case of the Evo's 8mp camera the jpg file produced has resolution of 3264 x 1952 Pixels or 6.37 MPixels

Here is a link that may be of interest

What is best way to PP jpgs - FM Forums

and one of my pix

large.jpg

Upvote 0
New to resizing pics and posting pics in a forum. If I butcher this I'll upload them to a site and edit later.

*edit*

Let's try this again. From flikr this time.

Attachments

• 1 (450x269).jpg
    1 (450x269).jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG0007 (269x450).jpg
    IMAG0007 (269x450).jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0030 (450x269).jpg
    IMAG0030 (450x269).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0036 (269x450).jpg
    IMAG0036 (269x450).jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0051 (450x269).jpg
    IMAG0051 (450x269).jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0082 (450x269).jpg
    IMAG0082 (450x269).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0083 (450x269).jpg
    IMAG0083 (450x269).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
a 1985 ninja was my first bike. since then i have had a 99 ninja, 2002 ninja, and now the 2006 ninja i have. but i still have the 1985 in the garage! its a classic.
That's funny, I owned a 86 Ninja 1000R bought it new, then I bought a 04 Busa limited, got totaled when a lady turned left in front of me, now I own 08 Busa stretched and lowered. OK, back to the topic at hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones