• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pixel or non?

kwandtke

Lurker
Sep 5, 2012
So just under 2 years ago I popped for a Pixel ... and Project Fi .. all in with Google. Was waiting for the 3 to come out .. wait for the price drop on the 2 and go with it .. maybe XL. Then my Pixel started acting up .. long and short I have the mic / audio issue many are having. Seems my phone randomly thinks I have a headset plugged in and when it does my phone app stops working. Rest of the phone is fine ... using the phone sometimes causes a reboot. Anyway it's shaken my faith .. I love Fi .. want to stay with it which means Pixel or an LG G7 .. but I'm also a big believer in the security updates ...

I'm looking for anyone who has a good argument to help me go one way or the other

The mic failure and phantom USB connection are known hardware issues, and it really sucks that those reports started to come in after most devices were past the 1-year warranty.

The Pixel 2s come with a 2-year warranty (provided that you buy a new one from Google rather than a secondhand/refurb unit from a reseller) which should offer some peace of mind. If you time it right, your device would be covered until the release of the Pixel 4. ;)

Also, the Pixel 2 just got Android 9.0. Who knows if/when the G7 will get it.

Upvote 0
If there's an option for Pixel, and you like your stock Android and updates, why not?
The reasons going for the G7 is headphone jack, and the audio chip. That's pretty much about it. If you're not too hung up on that, why bother with it? The Pixel 2 still has a similar if not better camera in terms of performance, will get updates faster and will have longer software support.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
The mic failure and phantom USB connection are known hardware issues, and it really sucks that those reports started to come in after most devices were past the 1-year warranty.

The Pixel 2s come with a 2-year warranty (provided that you buy a new one from Google rather than a secondhand/refurb unit from a reseller) which should offer some peace of mind. If you time it right, your device would be covered until the release of the Pixel 4. ;)

Also, the Pixel 2 just got Android 9.0. Who knows if/when the G7 will get it.
OK .. I was not aware of the 2 yr thing .. that makes a diff. My first reaction was why does the company that I like for so much act so bad when it comes to hardware support? I've had Nexus prior to Pixel.. always liked the auto update & security patches .. .. OK thanks .. Got the Pie update last night, now I guess I wait to figure Pixel vs XL .....

Upvote 0
OK .. I was not aware of the 2 yr thing .. that makes a diff.

Yeah they extended the warranty to two years shortly following launch due the widespread/overreported concerns regarding the LG display panel in the XL.

now I guess I wait to figure Pixel vs XL .....

Pixel 2 is the correct Pixel. Pixel 2 XL is too long/tall/large (IMHO), plus it also has that LG display panel that some people hate while others are okay with... while the Pixel 2 has a high-quality Samsung AMOLED panel. It does have prominent top and bottom bezels though...

Both of course offer pretty much the same software experience, and both have the same killer camera.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones