• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Place to "park" my cell number

Hi all.

I posted a similar question in the Google forum, but thought I might catch more users and possibly more responses here...

Does somebody know of a service similar to the way Google Voice works for "parking" my "good" cell number? The ONLY thing that I would really like for the service to do is...

1. Port in my "good" cell number.
2. Allow me to tell it to call my handset number ... whatever number that may be, should I decide to experiment with prepaid service providers.
3. Allow me to give out that ported number, which sends the call or text (including **MMS texts**, which GV does NOT do) to my phone. I'll manage voicemail / keeping track of my texts / etc. with the phone.
4. Allow me to call out and text with an app / etc. (again, including MMS texts), showing that the call or text is coming from my ported number (not the handset number). Again, keeping track of everything with the phone.

That's it ... That's all I want ... "KISS" method (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I Would be **THRILLED** to find a free or very cheap service to do this!!!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

I'm probably misunderstanding the question, but couldn't you just port the number to a prepay SIM? You'd need to check the T&Cs, but that would usually give you 6 months before you had to top up the SIM with the minimum amount ($5?) to get a further 6 months.

I'm needing to try Verizon. I don't think the CDMA phones for them even has SIM cards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones