• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

POLITICS of Google & Coby MID9742

rtoledo2002

Lurker
Dec 19, 2011
OK so what's up with this tablet? I just bought it at FRY's in City of Industry and I see that Google play and Google apps DO NOT WORK! WTF !!! :mad:

I have read every thread you can think of. and as a 55 year old adult I have to point this out to the younger all things GOOGLE ANDROID community , as one poster said he thought the reason this tablet does not work is because it was made for CHINA market ??? if I were to believe this then I have to ask why are they selling it in the USA and why is Google allowing Coby to tarnish their name???

it seems to me Google is fighting a war with Apple to win us over to buy their phones and tablets. so why does this beautiful tablet not work? are they not paying a royalty to Google and are therefore cut OFF from their value added stores?

why should I have to ROOT a device that comes with the latest 4.0.3 version ?

I hope some one with more knowledge than just speculation can answer this for me. I see a class action lawsuit in the near future coming to a court near COBY. :mad:

Agreed. ...but with a little work you can get Android Market to work, even without rooting the tablet. I suggest you read the threads dedicated to Coby products on this and other forums more carefully. I'm a 63 year old who is not fazed by new technology (in fact, I work at the forefront of technology development.)

The information is out there, but you have to be willing to invest time to work through limitations.

I have successfully upgraded a Coby 1126 to Android 4.0.3 (using a link and software from Coby Germany.) I have a ...@gmail.com account I have synced with for both the Coby and another supported (Acer A500) tablet. Both Market and Google Maps work, Earth and the Play Store .apk don't work and Google Chrome is inconsistent on the Coby 1126.

In a few days, I will be getting a used Coby 8042 I picked up. When I work through some of the access problems I will post suggestions if I have time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones