• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Possibly bricked lg optimus v?

Ok, after getting into the stock recovery and getting the adb shell up I followed the directions here: [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and got into the clockwork mod recovery, which shows up on my screen now!!! So I'm currently downloading the IHO-Purity-X rom and will push that over via adb and then choose "install zip from sdcard" in clockwork mod recovery and hopefully be good to go?

Upvote 0
The steps mentioned in the link provided were incomplete.
For the proper info on ROM Manager go to the sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

For rest of info on installing ROM from recovery: after doing the prescribed wipes you need to go to mounts and storage option. Format boot,data,cache,and system.
This is important when installing a IHO ROM as they are more apt to become corrupted by any residual data.
It may not show up right away, but will eventually lead to glitches in apps and system; as well as force closures.

Upvote 0
Oh good to know... so I guess I'll go back and re-install this rom following those instructions as well. I don't want any problems down the line.

On a side note... I was a bit confused as to why this whole black screen thing happened at all. The rom I originally installed and ran into the problem with was the Harmonia 1.7 rom that is listed as being compatible with both screen types. I've read that using Rom Manager to flash roms is a bad idea (of course this wasn't until after I ran into problems), is it possible that that is what caused my problem?

Thanks again for all the help! And I guess if anyone ever has any questions about how to do this stuff on a mac, I'd be happy to help.

Jon

Upvote 0
The problem is with the screen drivers and the recovery's.
The older recovery's were designed for the Novatek screen drivers.
They are incompatible with the Hitachi screen drivers.
The recovery in ROM Manager was designed for the Novatek.
You have a Hitachi.
Sometimes instead of getting a black screen in the recovery, it won't happen until you install the ROM.

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I understand. I've now tried re-installing the harmonia rom, and ended up with the black screen again... but following bigsupersquid's instructions at [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and installing the xionia_kernel_014_anykernel_OptimusV_signed.zip along with the keyswap.zip linked there and the Harmonia rom is now working for me.

I learned a lot more than I ever expected to in the last 24hrs of doing all this, which is pretty awesome. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks again for all the help! And I guess if anyone ever has any questions about how to do this stuff on a mac, I'd be happy to help.

Jon
We try very hard to help are members here and would welcome you help and advice.

To brotherswing: I'm getting good at ninja'ing your posts it would seem, but it's really because I start to reply way before you. It just takes me a lot longer on the phone(one big finger hitting all the keys but the right one).

Upvote 0
Depends... i spent a lot of time getting adb to work. For me (I use a mac with os x) I used the terminal program to send files with the command ./adb push /path/to/file/on/my/computer /path/to/where/i/want/it/on/my/phone

But you might also be able to use a micro sd adapter and a usb sd card reader to move files onto the sd card.

What are you trying to copy to the sd card? Does your phone boot normally?

Upvote 0
Ok... you'll need get android sdk for os x with the platform tools if you don't already have adb on your mac. I'd put it right in your home directory along with the driver you're copying, just to make it easier to type out your commands. Once you have adb in your home directory and the driver there also, type ./adb reboot recovery and hit enter, wait until the phone is on but with a blank screen, then type ./adb push ~/xionia_kernel_clockwork_3.0.2.4.img /sdcard/xionia_kernel_clockwork_3.0.2.4.img and hit enter. I'm assuming that's the driver you're trying to get on to the phone. That should copy it to your phone and let you boot into recovery mode and see what's going on.

jono

Reactions: Michael323
Upvote 0
Question: What recovery do you currently have and how did you install it?
The biggest question is what OS do you have 2.2.2 or 2.2.1? 2.2.1 is the Novatek screen and everything works with it. 2.2.2 later versions have the Hitachi screen and drivers.
The BACKside in ROM Manager is not compatiple, neither is the recovery( CWMod 3.2.0.1)

If you flashed the recocery from ROM Manager go here after getting ADB established [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Page 15 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

jono1515 could you look over this to make sure it will work on a MAC?

Upvote 0
Yeah that should work on a Mac no problem. The adb commands are nearly the same, the only difference is that in order to issue adb commands on a mac you have to navigate to the directory that contains adb and then type ./ in front of any adb command like: ./adb reboot recovery
So, for anyone new to this if you download the android-sdk-macosx and extract it in your downloads folder you'd have to type the following into terminal to do anything with adb:
cd ./Downloads/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools
./adb devices
I'd start with the devices command just to make sure that it's seeing your phone attached. I had some issues with that at first.

jono

Reactions: Michael323
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones