• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Power and Volume buttons stopped working

kracked dude

Jan 21, 2013
HELP! The Power and Volume buttons stopped working. I can turn the screen on by holding down both volume buttons which also brings up the power menu that you usually get when holding down the power button. I can turn the phone on if its off by reinserting the battery.
What's going on? Can anyone help?
Samsung Replenish
Pheonix rom
Stock kernal
Link2sd enabled

HELP! The Power and Volume buttons stopped working. I can turn the screen on by holding down both volume buttons which also brings up the power menu that you usually get when holding down the power button. I can turn the phone on if its off by reinserting the battery.
What's going on? Can anyone help?
Samsung Replenish
Pheonix rom
Stock kernal
Link2sd enabled

Welcome to the forums, kracked dude.

I'm thinking dirt and/or moisture. You'll see advice to use compressed air blown in for that; I advise to never do that as the danger of blowing the debris deeper into the device is likely.

Instead, with the device off, use a small attachment on a vacuum cleaner and carefully try to draw the dirt out of the button areas. Tap very gently with something like a butter knife handle or small screw driver. Keep vacuuming, etc.

Also, rubbing alcohol swabbed in with cotton can work wonders for cleaning, as it displaces moisture and evaporates quickly, leaving the device undamaged.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, kracked dude.

I'm thinking dirt and/or moisture. You'll see advice to use compressed air blown in for that; I advise to never do that as the danger of blowing the debris deeper into the device is likely.

Instead, with the device off, use a small attachment on a vacuum cleaner and carefully try to draw the dirt out of the button areas. Tap very gently with something like a butter knife handle or small screw driver. Keep vacuuming, etc.

Also, rubbing alcohol swabbed in with cotton can work wonders for cleaning, as it displaces moisture and evaporates quickly, leaving the device undamaged.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for responding. I don't think its a dirt problem because why would dirt cause the volume button to act as the power button? Doesn't that sound more like a software/hardware issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones